The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Before I pose the question I want to say that I did do a search several times for this very topic and came up with a variety of posts regarding XM/Sirius installation with standalone units, and even a few references to the stock unit but was unable to locate anything regarding the installation.

I have the 2008 Elise with the stock Alpine CDA-9856. What the manual, Crutchfield, Sirius and this post tell me is that I need an AI-Net interface adapter, and the Sirius Radio Tuner. So I have all of that.

My question is, has anyone done this specific install and, if so, where have you put all the components? In terms of power, is there a specific line I should try to tap into? Is this something I should just leave to the dealer to do?

I assume from all the posts that the best place to put the antenna will be in the passenger side near the front speaker (not optimal, but easy). The rest is a bit of a mystery.

So if I have missed any information previous posts then I apologize. Again, I tried to use every combination I could think of that would yield the results and came up a little short.

Thanks,
Kris

·
Registered
705 Posts
I had my Sirius antenna there for a while. It had pretty lousy reception. Apparently, it is supposed to be mounted to something ferrous (hard to find here). I ended up usig some advice from the forum and putting it on my master cylinder. It doesn't seem to care that there is a fiberglass cover over it.

I don't have an Alpine. Mine came with the crappy Blaupunkt unit. I replaced it with a JVC. The Sirius tuner has no specific power lines. It is included in the cable to the head unit. Yours may or may not be similar. If it does require power, I am sure you could tap into the harness for the head unit.

I tucked my Sirius tuner into the footwell area on the right. It is mounted using double sided tape. I initially buried it inside the dash. I had to occasionally reset it by unpugging it. This was a PITA!

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
I have the Sirius Starmate, pretty small.

Power: tapped into fused side of fuse block under the dash, switched w/key so power stops when key is out. (I am 60 yrs old, working upside down with my feet pointed to the ceiling, I shifted my weight and instantly had two thoughts: 1) I might not get out and should keep my cell phone in my pocket; 2) Someone might find my skeleton in the car a few months from now,)

Ran wire for antenna up lh side of dash (after removing cubby hole cover) and stuck the antenna to my metal frt speaker grill.

Stuck unit into cubbyhole, where it fits perfectly.

Did not wire into radio; I just use 87.9FM output and tune radio to that. I am told the sound quality is better if hard-wired to radio. Um....do I care in a car this noisy? Nope. But, that isn't hard to wire either.

This took < 1hr.

I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I just installed a Sirius starmate 4 and used a FM direct adapter into the stock Blapunkt radio. I made a small bracket and double sided sticky taped it to the sill all the way forward. The antenna is on the dash just above it. It looks and works great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everybody for the help in these posts. They've all been quite useful. I've gotten the pieces hidden away and the antenna is on the dash near the drivers speaker.

The AI-NET unit requires power. My inclination is to tap into the existing harness. The problem is that I am not sure if I should be using the switched line (red, I think...I am confused after reading a few of the posts regarding the Lotus to VW harness (I have the 08 so this isn't an issue for me), but according to the diagrams I have the red is switched) or the direct to battery (yellow). It seems to me that the direct to battery would kill the battery.

Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thanks
-Kris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts