The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had a 370z? If so whats your thoughts on it vs an Elise? Stat wise it seems 0 to 60 there faster and great handling too.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Its a larger GT car. So most on here will think it is a big boat.

Although IMO the 370z is one of the more underrated cars. Everyone looks at the GTR and hardly even notices the 370z. Its not in many magazine comparos, etc.

In a straight line the 370z is most certainly faster than an Elise, especially noticeable on the freeway. Handling wise they are pretty good, just considerably larger than an Elige so you can tell you are moving around more weight. Skidpad they are good, they just can't transition as well as the Elise. In general though its more of a GT sports car and is a decent sports car while being a lot nicer to drive around every day in. I would try to get the sport pack option with the bigger brakes, LSD, and automatic rev-match.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I would consider the Nismo version, but the standard version feels vague in transitions. Yes, I test drove one.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I found it to be more "sporty car" than sports car. Nothing like an Elise. I wasn't interested in it even as a winter car. Go drive a BRZ Limited (if you need leather) - that's a proper sports car.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try to test drive a 370z this week. Ive thought about even just sell my Elise and drive a 370z all the time. I would be a lot of money ahead and just letting 27,000 sit n collect dust. Have no payment and have a 370z or have a payment and get a 370z and keep the Elise... Thats the question!

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you want something comfy and fun to supplement the Elise, get a 370 with the sport pack like someone mentioned. If you're considering getting rid of the Elise, you will definitely want the Nismo.

I spent a week in a 370Z Nismo last year. It's very different than an Elise (GT car as someone mentioned), but it's a lot of fun, pretty responsive, and has decent power. The synchro-rev match is cool too. I thought I'd hate it.

Here's my review. http://www.reflectionsofthedrive.com/reviews/2011-nismo/

·
Registered
502 Posts
What do you use the Elise for? I have seen a lot of 350/370 cars on the track and none have ever come close to my lap times in my stock Elise. Maybe faster in a straight line and may "say" it handles well but I have never seen them come even close.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I traded my 2003 350Z for a 2011 Elise SC new and the two cars can not be compared. If Nissan did not change thier slow shifting transmission and long throw clutch then I would not buy the 370. I like the way the Elise shifts and feels over the Nissan. The 350 was a good car but did not think the transmission was going to last. It would grind taking it out of gear. Did this from day one and just kept getting worse and my dealer could not fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
ScottZ,
Just a note of caution, the stock Elise transmission does not have the reputation for being terribly robust either. With gentle shifting I could see the stock transmission going 100k miles; I wouldn't see it making it that far with heavy track use (especially with an enhanced engine).

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you use the Elise for? I have seen a lot of 350/370 cars on the track and none have ever come close to my lap times in my stock Elise. Maybe faster in a straight line and may "say" it handles well but I have never seen them come even close.
I use it just to cruise around in...never pealed out or taken a corner crazy fast.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I've never driven one but apparently you sign a form stating that you will put 800 'performance' decals on your 370 when you own it.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
EagleTime,
*Blasphemy* "Never ... taken a corner crazy fast". That is on par with dating a beautiful woman for 5 years, and only holding her hand. I am only kidding you (a little), to each their own. I think it is a good that there are so many different ways to enjoy these wonderful cars.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know I baby my car lol. Dont get me wrong I love my Elise but trade making payments on the 370 trying to figure out if I should have it and a 370z or... Have the 370z and no payment. 350ish would be my payment if I keep the Elise n get the 370z for daily use including the winter.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I would have to think long and hard about accepting an East coast job. The winter driving here consists of days which may dip down to 48. Snows maybe once or twice a year, and is gone by the afternoon. I cannot imagine what it is like to put a car in a deep winter slumber for 3 or 4 months and desperatly wait for the spring. You snowy climate owners have some serious patience and love for your cars.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah its sad when my Elise sits... Choices choices... Let 20 some thousand collect dust while I drive the 370z or sell the Elise and have a car I can drive all the time and save a lot of cash.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Honestly...
If you aren't really into the things that make the Elise the Elise such as taking turns quickly or driving it more aggressively to extract its true performance I think you likely would be better off with something else that is more livable, usable, and better in all weather conditions. Assuming you sell the Elise you can get pick up a helluva everyday car!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would have to think long and hard about accepting an East coast job. The winter driving here consists of days which may dip down to 48. Snows maybe once or twice a year, and is gone by the afternoon. I cannot imagine what it is like to put a car in a deep winter slumber for 3 or 4 months and desperatly wait for the spring. You snowy climate owners have some serious patience and love for your cars.
I usually only drive mine once a month from November til april or so and we don't get much snow in Oregon, just 100 days of drizzle and no sun. That just means I have more time to prepare for next track season. It's also why I bought a Porsche Cayenne S as my winter vehicle so I still have something sporty and fun!

But on topic here, if you are not using the Elise to its full potential and can have 370z with no payment... I might go the 370 route since its a fun cruise car with fast straight line speed and can probably handle well enough for your needs. So unless the looks of the car are worth the $350 a month for the Lotus, maybe the Nissan is a better choice. But also remember, there may be a day when the Lotus price stays flat and the Z looses 350 a month in value, you will not have a payment but financially are even both ways, but with the Lotus you have a higher value asset that could be a collectors item.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Id get a 5 l mustang with all the performance options before the 370

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 31 Posts