The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like the I4's base price of $75K makes it moderately accessible, but I'm also worried about it realistically sitting at $82-$85K once some options and fees get added in, which can feel a little high given its powerplant. Having driven an C8 and a Cayman (both of which land in this price point) I have to imagine that the I4 Emira is going to be a strong contender though considering how the Evora feels compared to those two cars.

The V6's price range at $93K though just feels a little high for what it is.

I'm particularly worried that the C8 Z06 is going to come in somewhere in the $95K range and essentially be an American 458 that's affordable and more practical across the board. To me it's going to become really hard to start justifying the Emira over that or even a Cayman GTS 4.0 or Cayman GT4 unless you really love the looks.

I don't know I honestly feel like knocking $5K off of each price tag would make a huge difference in how these cars are perceived, but that's just me.

From the outside looking in I actually feel like the Emira isn't quite enough of an upgrade over an Evora. Yeah the exterior and interior are a bit nicer, but I can't see myself having a radically different driving experience compared to an Evora.

So perhaps the best thing about the Emira is the fact that it will (hopefully) drive down Evora prices?

·
Registered
46 Posts
GTS Cayman base is 87.4k
F Type P380 base is 82k

A fully loaded Emira is 93k. The Porsche will be 6 figures if you add a steering wheel and seats. F Type is also in mid to low 90s well equipped.

The 2 cars which represent the closest competitors have the Emira split the difference between them in price. I really don't understand your gripe.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
So perhaps the best thing about the Emira is the fact that it will (hopefully) drive down Evora prices?
perhaps the best thing about the Emira is that if Geely is going to recoup its investment, it’s going to have to expand the US dealer network significantly.

Reactions: bucket and Eagle7

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
A fully loaded Cayman GTS/GT4 is $30-40k more than a fully loaded Emira.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Myself I dont want a Porsche. I have the brand Lotus on my heart but....

The fully loaded Porsche has a lot more options than the Emira has. Porsche have carbon fiber everywhere fully loaded and carbon fiber race bucket seat while the Emira have no carbon fiber at all and no race bucket seats either. Take all the options the Emira has and do the same to the Porsche and the results is going to be different.

They took an extra 4K-5K US onto the Emira pricing because the demand was probably higher then planned.
When I do all the math with their price position in the UK I always get 86-90K USD at the most.

The Emira could be priced 120K-125K up here in Canada while I can order a base Cayman GT4 for 116K or a very well equipped GTS 4.0 with special color paint, premium package, carbon fiber bucket seats , destination charge included for 110 390$. Destination charge for Lotus are double the price of Porsche and not yet included into the Lotus pricing we are talking.

The Emira V6 FE is 14.5% cheaper than the Evora base price in UK.

In USA the car is 3% cheaper than the Evora base price. Hello good morning America !!!

In Canada if the price of 125K is confirmed this week like my salesman told me last week it means the Emira V6 FE is 4% cheaper than the Evora base price of 130K.

125K is 7K more then the USD to CAD exchange rate conversion.
So another little extra here and there no problem, we want your monney and we will get it.

93 900$ US = 118 300$ CAD as of today exchange rate.
Car Vehicle Photograph Automotive design Screenshot

Reactions: vcappp

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well, the Emira FE at 94k plus destination is not a bargain, but I'm fine with that. The C8 is the undisputed bargain champion of the sports car world. I am also fine with that.

The Emira offers me a different driving experience than the C8 and it's a better match for what I'm looking for.

I do wish that there was a dealer near me, but I'm hoping that as Lotus gains sales momentum, one will open up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
A fully loaded Cayman GTS/GT4 is $30-40k more than a fully loaded Emira.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Fully loaded GTS is $30-$40k more than an Emira!? I'm pricing mine at $88.7k. GTS basically comes with most perf specs included in the GTS package. I mean if you want to add a ton of CF pieces and 20 way adjustable seats and other interior / wheels specs maybe...But, Emira doesn't have any of those options yet.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
259 Posts
Let's be realistic here, you're not buying a mass-produced car or even a low-production car from a company that's used to mass-producing vehicles. This isn't like buying a Toyota Supra/C8 where you have a huge company, dealer network, any part you need when you need it. A huge community, aftermarket support, and so on.

I think reality will hit for many people who may be price-sensitive buyers and are stretching to buy the car. You're NOT buying a BMW 2-series with an M-badge, you're buying a boutique brand/car. Expect imperfections as you would with a supercar purchase (i.e. low-volume one-off type issues). Your maintenance costs will be higher, parts costs will be higher, parts availability will be more scare, this may drive insurance costs up as well. There may not be a "known issue/recall" that you can just run to the dealer for. You may be debugging a problem with the dealer for the first time and so on.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect the car to break down in the middle of the road and not work, but people should understand that, until proven otherwise, this isn't the kind of car you get as your daily driver and depend on for everything. At least I wouldn't. I've yet to own a single car/motorcycle that hasn't had a recall or a problem in the first year.

Lotus will be successful with the Emira, but as they attract more price conscious buyers, there will be higher stakes; anything minor will be amplified. Expectations differ between market segments, I hope both buyer and seller are ready for this.

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Let's be realistic here, you're not buying a mass-produced car or even a low-production car from a company that's used to mass-producing vehicles. This isn't like buying a Toyota Supra/C8 where you have a huge company, dealer network, any part you need when you need it. A huge community, aftermarket support, and so on.

I think reality will hit for many people who may be price-sensitive buyers and are stretching to buy the car. You're NOT buying a BMW 2-series with an M-badge, you're buying a boutique brand/car. Expect imperfections as you would with a supercar purchase (i.e. low-volume one-off type issues). Your maintenance costs will be higher, parts costs will be higher, parts availability will be more scare, this may drive insurance costs up as well. There may not be a "known issue/recall" that you can just run to the dealer for. You may be debugging a problem with the dealer for the first time and so on.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect the car to break down in the middle of the road and not work, but people should understand that, until proven otherwise, this isn't the kind of car you get as your daily driver and depend on for everything. At least I wouldn't. I've yet to own a single car/motorcycle that hasn't had a recall or a problem in the first year.

Lotus will be successful with the Emira, but as they attract more price conscious buyers, there will be higher stakes; anything minor will be amplified. Expectations differ between market segments, I hope both buyer and seller are ready for this.
All my Lotus have been daily Driver dependable for the past 17years. remember, its a Toyota powertrain. 90% of the electronic issues never occur if you are faithful with your battery tender as I always have benn....even running Shorai batteries for the past 8yrs. Don't come nto the purchase cluelss to vehicles however....ownership is not for rookies that can't change a tire, check pressures, run an OBD scan etc.

·
Registered
232 Posts

I completely agree. In the next few months, a lot of people are going to "come to their senses" with regards to the Lotus and get weak at the knees. I had a car that died not once, but twice within 2000 miles of purchase. My reaction was "now I know it's a real Italian engine". If a person doesn't have that kind of attitude, they are going to be very frustrated with the ownership experience of a low-production car.

Like that car, the Lotus will also be my daily driver. But I'm not dependent on it. I have the family van to fall back to in case the Lotus needs servicing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The FE spec of the Emira has leather interior, upgraded sound and electric seats amongst a handful of other options. Any decent spec I've made on a 718 has had options in the 15-20K range and I have never had a car with electric seats. ( BTW, any spec on the 992 seems to come out to closer to 30K in options for me) My latest "order demand" (waiting for an allocation) on my latest Cayman on my CGTS is $120K(USD). Sure I like my cars with some bling but it still doesn't have electric seats.

Sounds like some people should count their chickens and buy the Porsche. The Canadian price for the GTS looks great to me. I might need to look into buying one from Canada and importing it to the States.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The FE spec of the Emira has leather interior, upgraded sound and electric seats amongst a handful of other options. Any decent spec I've made on a 718 has had options in the 15-20K range and I have never had a car with electric seats. ( BTW, any spec on the 992 seems to come out to closer to 30K in options for me) My latest "order demand" (waiting for an allocation) on my latest Cayman on my CGTS is $120K(USD). Sure I like my cars with some bling but it still doesn't have electric seats.

Sounds like some people should count their chickens and buy the Porsche. The Canadian price for the GTS looks great to me. I might need to look into buying one from Canada and importing it to the States.
if you are going to option up, it's always best to take a look at the GTS. It's optioned and priced very well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I tried to match a Cayman GTS 4.0 to the same "spec" that I could tell as the FE Emira, and the GTS came out about 4k more expensive for the same content. So it does seem comparably priced. You can certainly get a GTS for less, and it's likely if you don't option some of the emira options in the future, you should be able to get out the door for less than a 4.0 GTS.

·
Registered
140 Posts
if you are going to option up, it's always best to take a look at the GTS. It's optioned and priced very well.
I am...when you really spec a Porsche it is costs some bucks.

For instance, the GTS leather interior is still a >$7500 option on the GTS car. LED lights, another grand. NAV/upgraded stereo another >$3000. I've been through this many times. No I don't typically buy strippers but the Canadian price for the Cayman GTS looks like a steal. If they don't appreciate what they have ( OK so they have to pay VAT, LOL) maybe I should just just buy what they don't want and ship it home. I did that with my Aston Martin. Shipped from Calgary...easy peasy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My opinion: It's not a mindblowing value, but it's actually a decent value proposition now. It can be reasonably cross-shopped with the Cayman, and does much better in that comparison than the Evora did. For Lotus, that's a fantastic improvement.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Here in Canada, our income are not 30% higher than those in the States but the price of the car is 30% higher while every other car brand price their cars in Canada 15-16% more than the US price. The tax on our income for an average salary are between 30% to 45%. Also my sales tax is 15% while in Florida it is 7% for example. The life cost is as much expensive here if not higher because of our hard winter ( high electric bill, winters tires, winter clothes and many more ) grocery cost is pretty much the same, our gas is more expensive, so at the end our purchasing power is hardly hit.

In USA the Emira will cost to the door including taxs and destination charge 103-105K while mine is going to cost 145K.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Enzo Ferrari said, when you buy a Ferrari, you buy the engine and you get the rest of the car for free.

With a Lotus, you buy the chassis and the handling dynamics. The rest of the car is free. Can we just STOP comparing a Lotus to mass produced German cars!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am...when you really spec a Porsche it is costs some bucks.

For instance, the GTS leather interior is still a >$7500 option on the GTS car. LED lights, another grand. NAV/upgraded stereo another >$3000. I've been through this many times. No I don't typically buy strippers but the Canadian price for the Cayman GTS looks like a steal. If they don't appreciate what they have ( OK so they have to pay VAT, LOL) maybe I should just just buy what they don't want and ship it home. I did that with my Aston Martin. Shipped from Calgary...easy peasy.
Totally agree, can easily price that thing to the moon. I just don't see any value in $7500 leather seats, $3k nav and $3k LED lights. Only option I think i'd kick myself would be skipping on those carbon bucket seats...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Here in Canada, our income are not 30% higher than those in the States but the price of the car is 30% higher while every other car brand price their cars in Canada 15-16% more than the US price. The tax on our income for an average salary are between 30% to 45%. Also my sales tax is 15% while in Florida it is 7% for example. The life cost is as much expensive here if not higher because of our hard winter ( high electric bill, winters tires, winter clothes and many more ) grocery cost is pretty much the same, our gas is more expensive, so at the end our purchasing power is hardly hit.

In USA the Emira will cost to the door including taxs and destination charge 103-105K while mine cost is going to cost 145K.
but, free healthcare! haha.

1 - 20 of 288 Posts