The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If people are worried about the value proposition, just get a C8. Chevy nailed it in that regard. Best bang for the buck out there for a mid-engine performance car. The Emira is going to look better than anything else in its price range, or even quite a few above its price range. It's probably going to handle better, and has a manual trans. You're not going to find anything else like it under $100k, period. Buy it for what it is, because honestly there's really nothing else out there to compare it to because it's not just another car. Price isn't the best comparison. If price is your main focus, get something else.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
At 3000lbs, I'd be shopping a highly optioned C8. Unfortunately , America can't compete in the lithe and agility dept. They prefer to bludgeon tar with HP.
This is precisely the point. The Emira offers something that nothing else does under $100k.

American cars never had to compete in the lithe and agility department because the manufacturers, Chevy and Ford in particular, always had gobs of power available and cheap gas to fuel it. Need more performance? Just increase the displacement of those small block V8s, doesn't matter if they only get 12 mpg because gas in the U.S. is 30 cents a gallon. At that time, post-war Europe was still working on recovering from the effects of WW2, so they didn't have big engines, and gas was a LOT more expensive over there. For them, the way to improve performance was through chassis development, lightness, higher revving small displacement engines, and 5 speed transmissions to make up for lack of power and torque with gearing. Necessity was the driver of their invention. In America, cars were big, heavy, and had 3 speed transmissions because that was all they needed. The V8 was their savior for performance. Lots of low rpm torque and power.

In recent years American manufacturers have improved the handling quotient dramatically; especially Chevy. The Camaro ZL1 1LE is the finest sports GT America has ever produced. It's no longer just a muscle car. The C8 shows Chevy's prowess in taking that tried and true formula to a mid-engine car. For bang for the buck, you really can't beat either one of those cars. They're raw, brash, powerful. They're also somewhat heavy, especially optioned-out.

The Emira is a completely different animal. It's not going to be as fast in a straight line as the Chevy's. Not going to have the same torque or grunt off the line. Once you get going however, you'll quickly see the difference between a rodeo bronco rider, and a thoroughbred equestrian. Not as loud, not as dramatic, refined, elegant, precise, smooth. It's just a higher order of automotive performance, taking into account more than raw power. That's why the Emira costs what it does. If that's what you're interested in, the Emira is a bargain. If not, it's too expensive compared to other cars.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
So many posts on the new Emira. So I will admit that I'm to lazy to wade through it all. Can anyone explain how there is 19 grand difference between the two. I put a deposit down on a V6, but now thinking the AMG might make more sense. My apologies if this has been covered a dozen times.
The 19 grand difference is simply that the AMG price is for the base model, the V6 price is for the First Edition which is loaded with almost every option available.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
To me this is starting to sound somewhat like watches; do you want a watch because it looks good and tells time, or because it costs a lot and you want to impress people with that fact?

How much power do you need on the street? Lotus' were never max power competitors. There were always other cars that were faster and had more power, especially the Corvettes.

The Emira has that magic feel to it when you look at it, and it's going to have that magic feel when you drive it. A mid-engine Lotus with hydraulic steering and a manual trans; in 2022. Think about that. Honestly for those of you who are on the fence, or are convinced that more power in other cars is going to be a better driving/owner experience, either buy those other cars or wait until you can drive an Emira. If as some of you are indicating money is not the issue, then get the Emira. Either it will charm you or it won't. If it does, you have one. If it doesn't, you're not going to have any problem selling it as the waiting list is already backed up to 2023 and heading towards 2024.

You can be sure the reviewers are going to talk about the numbers, because they have to. That's their job. However I won't be surprised if they say "nevertheless", and start talking about the driving experience. Power and performance are going to depend on how Lotus has tuned the power curve, and whether or not they've done anything different with the gearing compared to previous models. We won't know until production cars are available to test. The FE is going to be a gorgeous and charming daily driver. You're going to be a rockstar everywhere you go. If that expensive 911 and an Emira pull into a parking lot together, guess which car people are going to walk over to look at.

There's more to motoring enjoyment than just horsepower. If that's more important to you than anything else, get something else, but don't bad-mouth Lotus because you thought it was going to be something that no Lotus has ever been. The Emira is a Lotus; not a Corvette or a Porsche. A Corvette is a loud beer-drinking brawler; a Porsche is a cold machine; a Lotus is an exotic flower.

I can't wait to get mine.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Even though we have pricing, as far as I know, they're still going through crash and other certifications. It was going to take over 80 cars to get through all that. I don't believe they've built a final production spec car yet. We've also seen where the marketing department has produced conflicting, sometimes contradicting information on printed materials. One famous one is the printed horsepower of the V6 being 400, while the person in charge of everything clearly, and vehemently states no, it has 416 hp. I think we should wait until there is an actual final production spec product out that can be tested and verified, before deciding if Lotus has "treated their customers poorly" in the engine department.

Something else to consider for the numbers chasers; there's a difference between engine brake horsepower (bhp) and rear wheel horsepower (rwhp). Brake horsepower which is always the one printed and published because it's greater, is the power the engine produces on a testing bench; not in a car. Rear wheel horsepower is the amount of power that actually makes it to the rear wheels. That number is generally not published because it's lesser. The reason is there's something called drivetrain loss, where power is absorbed driving the accessories attached to the engine, and the flywheel, clutch, transmission, driveshaft, differential. Typically that's usually anywhere from 10% to 15%, with 12% being about average from what I've seen. So if an engine is rated at 500 hp, and there's a 12% drivetrain loss, that means only 440 hp is making it to the rear wheels. So just because a car has a published amount of horsepower, that doesn't automatically mean it's faster than a different car with less horsepower. Weight and drivetrain loss come into play for actual performance. Front engine/rear wheel drive cars generally suffer the most loss because of having to transfer the power all the way to the back of the car. Mid-engine cars fair better in this regard because everything is right at the rear wheels. As a result, I would expect the Emira to be at the bottom of the loss range, or maybe even one better. I wouldn't be surprised to see only a 9% loss. For example if the bhp is 416, with a 9% loss that would mean only about 37 hp is being absorbed, so about 379 hp is making to the rear wheels. So if a car with 450 hp has a 12% loss, only 382 is making it to the rear wheels. Even though the published amount of hp is 36 more than the 416 hp car, the amount making it to the rear wheels is only 3 hp more. Then there's weight. How much weight does that power have to get moving. Don't be deceived by published hp ratings; there's more to performance than just that number.

The performance 'feel' of this car is going to be a combination of the gearing, and the power and torque curve of the V6. None of which we have actual numbers for yet. All we have is speculation based on previous models. If you haven't driven a Lotus, or a mid-engine Lotus before, then you don't really have a feel for what a light car feels like when accelerating, as compared to a much heavier car with more horsepower. Even if the power to weight ratio is the same, the heavier car feels different when accelerating. A lighter car also picks up speed differently once it's moving. The terms agile, quick, nimble mean something when you're already moving. A heavier car with more horsepower isn't going to feel the same when the road turns, and this is where the Emira is going to really show its stuff. It's a different experience than just mashing the throttle and accelerating in a straight line. It's a different type of car, set up for that different experience.

Their marketing department doesn't seem to have it together as much as it should yet, so I say let's wait until we have a final production spec car before we decide what it is or isn't. If you're already feeling bitter and negative towards Lotus at this point, you really should find something else. If you already have that negative attitude going in, then you're going to find other things about the car that confirms your attitude and you'll wind up selling it and bad-mouthing the car and Lotus as a dissatisfied customer, which is not a good experience for you, the company or anyone else.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I think a lot of people here would be joyously parting with $75k for a base I-4 version with 420hp.

dual clutch, 420hp, $75k = success
You're welcome to show Lotus how to do that. I'm sure they'd appreciate it. And don't forget to include Geely in your plan. They'll be excited too to know how to do what you seem to think is so easy to do.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Sure, let me show you....... JUST do NOT detune the AMG engine...... not that hard at all.

The rest of the recipe is already intact.

How hard was that ?
You have no idea what's involved in dealing with regulations in today's heavily regulated, government suffocated world do you. It gets steadily worse every year. They haven't even finished the final specs for the V6 yet. They won't even start on the i4 until next year. Get something else; you're not going to be happy otherwise.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Really ??
  • Mercedes-AMG has revealed its new turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four, and it's the most powerful series-production four-cylinder in the world.
  • It makes 416 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque in top trim, giving it a specific output of 208.9 horsepower per liter.
  • The new engine will be put in the A45, the CLA45, the GLA45, and the GLB45.
So GET ON THE PHONE AND TELL LOTUS. They have no idea how much more you know than they do! I'm sure Russell Carr and Gavan Kershaw, along with Matt Windle will be in awe of your advanced knowledge and wisdom! After all, they only make cars for a living, so what do they know? After years of development for this car, they probably don't know it's easy to suddenly switch engines without having any effect on planning and passing regulations! Give them a call before it's too late, and they get the FE homologated and start selling it, short-changing their customers if they'd only heard from you first!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
What are you talking about? This is an engine that's already in a production car - has been for years.

This is the part I don't like about some of the posts here. The made up excuses, before we even have a product. Yes, we all understand that you don't need power to have fun and there's a lot more to that formula than just power. But we don't need a detuned version of an engine that's been in production for over a decade, just so we can have another 'upgraded' version in the future of an engine we've already had.

Anyway, I'll eat my words and write a check on the spot if the US gets the red engine cover with the same Evora GT 416hp. If they don't it'll be a blow in the gut and I'm not sure what I'll do.

The worst part about it is if that happens and Lotus doesn't come out and say something (like: "we wanted to, but regulations changed" and so on), but just act like it's normal. Part of the success of the Porsche GT cars isn't just the performance, but largely the marketing. Ferrari and Porsche as great at marketing. When you have someone like Andreas Preuninger doing lengthy interviews and explaining so many details about the cars.
You're assuming Lotus is just dropping in the exact same engine/trans they were using before without any modifications; the same engine that passed the regulations that used to be in effect, but have changed. The government tightens the emissions requirments steadily, year after year. Regulations for crash and safety also change. I have no doubt that Lotus has been working with the software and tuning to keep the car compliant with the regulations it has to meet for homologation, yet give it as much performance as they can. You don't think they'd love to say the Emira has 450 hp? Or even 430?

They shouldn't have to say this. They may actually be assuming that their customer base is educated enough to understand this; especially if they're an enthusiast who follows the sport and industry.

It's also not fair for those complaining that Lotus isn't like GM, compairing the two. GM is an international multi-billion dollar company that produces millions of vehicles, in many different types and models across multiple divisions. Lotus is making ONE car, and is a company that's used to making about 40 CARS A WEEK. Nothing even remotely close to what GM can do and does. What Lotus is doing now is a huge step up for them. Give them some slack here. They're not GM and they're not going to be able to do what GM does. Period. If that's what you're expecting, buy a C8. The Z06 is going to blow the doors off an Emira in sheer power and raw performance. Set your expectations accordingly if you're getting an Emira. It's not going to beat the Z06.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
People think that the FE is priced higher because of options. Based on everything I've heard and read, the $94k is the base price. The FE is getting all of the options at no additional cost. So everyone hoping for a cheaper future Emira without options better be looking to get an i4. I don't think the V6 will be a penny less, in fact, it'll be more.
You've said that before. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If the base i4 is $74,900, then it's only going to be a few thousand more to switch to the V6; not another $20k.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Yes, I have and note their literature says No Cost Option/NCO.

But as far as my the 'few thousand more' comment, we don't know what Toyota or AMG charge for their crate engines and what's included. A supercharger from Edelbrock is definitely not included as part of the Toyota package and the transmission has some customizations done. That SC package alone is $10k retail, let's say $5-7k wholesale to Lotus. Whereas the AMG package may be a complete drop-in and already includes the turbo's, transmission, etc. Who knows, but I don't think it's just a "few more thousand."
OMG you don't think they mean they're not charging for the options? NCO means there's not an extra charge to choose between the included options if there's something you can choose, not that they aren't charging for it in the first place. They're giving you some no cost options within a bundle package that's already factored in for price. It's not free.

To choose between an AMG/DCT and the V6 means you subtract the cost of the AMG setup and switch it out for the V6. You're paying for the difference to upgrade. That's how it can only cost for example, $1,500 or whatever it is to change from a manual to an automatic transmission. You subtract the cost of the manual and pay the difference.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Well, that's how it was described to me by my dealer. The options will be available free of charge for FE. The same options will be available for the 2023 model, but at that point they will be an additional cost.

LOL, that's a given, but if you have to explain that to me, you must have a really low opinion.

All I'm saying is that it's POSSIBLE the AMG package costs Lotus $20k and it's a plug-and-play operation. Whereas the Toyota package might cost Lotus $10-15k but requires lots of customization, bringing it up to the same $20-ish thousand. Add to that a $10k supercharger and now you're at $30k.

I'm just saying, there may be more to the package than meets the eye. We don't know how well Lotus has negotiated their contract. For AMG this is one of their newest bread-and-butter engines, for Toyota it's an old retired work-horse and to keep providing it to Lotus might be more expensive too.

Who knows, we're all speculating. I'm just saying it's well within the realm of possibility that there's a pretty significant price between the pre-packaged AMG offering and the "bespoke" Toyota V6/SC option.
There's a meme for this somewhere, but it goes something like "Your dealer's an idiot".

Lotus does their own programming. I doubt they're simply going to buy the AMG/DCT setup and just install it as-is. They're going to do the same thing that they're doing with the Toyota/supercharger package; tweak and customize the ECU and probably intake/exhaust for their usage. If this is the same Toyota/supercharger hardware they've been buying all along, then it isn't going to be dramatically more expensive as hardware. In fact they should be getting an even better cost per unit because they're ordering in larger quantities. What's going to cost is the time and labor invested into tuning, testing and meeting the latest emissions requirements.

I honestly don't think there's going to be that big a price difference. I would guess somewhere between $2k-$4k, so the base V6 with manual should be somewhere around $78k-ish. That puts the FE bundle at around $16k which is about right for all that. I just looked at the 2022 configurator for Alfa Romeo and they're charging extra for everything. Each paint color is a different price, it's $600 for red calipers, etc. Option costs add up fast. GM and Porsche does the same thing. The FE bundle Lotus is offering is actually pretty generous for all it includes, and the no cost options within it that you have.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Even a broken clock (ie, Krated :)) can be right twice a day. I don't know why you're insisting on being such an apologist for Lotus and so defensive regarding the 360hp I4? I'm sure we could pick any criticism you have for anything and come up with some hypothetical excuses to create reasons that run contrary to your criticism. My $.02c, let the debate on the detuned 360hp I4 go, IF it sticks for the US then it IS a marketing move or otherwise very worthy of the criticism it's receiving.

Hardware wise, there is very little difference between the 421hp I4 and the 382hp I4. In essense the 382hp engine is almost a detune already of the 421hp version. These are both newer engines that are very emissions efficient and nothing has changed in the laws to my knowledge that would require the engine to be so detuned. And no matter what, there is no regulation on the planet that should force a drop from 421hp down to 360hp on a newly introduced production engine.

There's plenty of meat on the bone to successfully sink your teeth into on other Emira debates ;). Defending a 360hp detune, if it happens (all this discussion can be thrown out if the 382hp version comes to the US) is only going to chip your tooth and damage your good looks :).
I'm insisting because those numbers are preliminary before homologation, and I think it's completely unfair to expect Lotus to be like GM or Mercedes in that regard. As someone else pointed out, they don't have any other models they can use to 'buy' emission or mileage credits to offset what the Emira has to be able to do. It has to be able to meet all the requirements completely on its own; something that none of the performance cars from GM, Porsche or Mercedes have to do. Is that apologizing? No, just the reality of the way it is for Lotus. They don't have any restrictions on design and handling however, and that's where the Emira is going to sparkle and shine. It looks like nothing else at or even near it's price range. It hits way above its weight in the looks department. Handling? Very few are going to come close, and how many of those are going to have hydraulic steering and a manual gearbox? The Emira has some very strong positives that just aren't available from anyone else anywhere near its price point.

It makes no sense to think that detuning and advertising lower hp numbers is a marketing move. They're not stupid. IF it turns out that's the only way they could get the cars homologated, then it wasn't something they wanted to do, it was something they had to do. If that winds up being the situation, that may explain why they're being so generous with the options bundling for the FE. You get the upgraded forged wheels that anybody else would charge extra for, even as a launch edition. I was very surprised to see those included. You get your choice of premium paints, interior materials with color and stitching options, and another surprise which was sport or touring suspension. Anybody else would charge extra for a sport suspension, even on a launch edition.

It's not perfect. Sure there are things that would be nice to have available, but like every other car out there, there's going to be aftermarket mod options. Set your expectations of what Lotus can do, what the Emira is and is going to be, and understand why. If that's unacceptable to you, then get something else. If the looks, handling, manual trans and real engine sounds (not piped in through the sound system) which are unmatched by anything else in its price range are what win you over, then get an Emira. You know what the price is; either it's worth it to you or it isn't. Lotus is an exotic specialty builder with a legendary racing history. It sits right there with Alfa Romeo and Porsche as far as pedigree and racing heritage. It's a Lotus, not a Corvette or Porsche. At a cars and coffee with Vettes and Porsches lined up, you pull in and people are going to walk right by all those other cars to come and look at the Emira. That's a Lotus. If you saw the video Shmee did at Goodwood, then you heard him say that at that event which probably had every exotic car in the world there, the Emira was the talk of the event. Everybody wanted to see it. It certainly wasn't because of its horsepower rating.

Lotus has always been a different kind of proposition. They're not for everybody, although this one probably comes closer to expanding that than any car they've ever made before. If you're going to have horsepower envy compared to other cars, just get one of those other cars, or get both if you can afford it and have the space. You'll probably find yourself driving the Lotus more often than not.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If this serves as any consolation, here's the difference between US vs UK C8 spec:

US: 495hp / 470 lbs-ft
UK: 482hp / 452 lbs-ft

Reason: Different gas particulate filters to meet more stringent UK emissions regulations according to Carfection in this C8 review just posted today:
That's a reduction of about 2.63%. Using just that, that would reduce 416 hp by 11 hp. If that's what Lotus has to put on the U.K. spec cars, that could mean in the U.S. they could actually have 416 while only having 400 in the U.K. Interesting.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I respect your enthusiasm about the Emira and Lotus. Thanks for your contribution and information you brought the forum.

When you say “don’t bad-mouth Lotus” , you are saying “A Corvette is a loud beer-drinking brawler” , isn’t it a bad-mouth?

Corvette C8 is a naturally aspirated mid-engine car, much improved almost every aspect, a greatly different car from all the previous generation front-engine models.
C8, a Corvette is not any more deserved to hear ”bad-mouth.”

C8 is not perfect, but GM nailed it, in terms of their strength points.

Lotus nailed it too, Emira, in terms of their strength points.
Actually what I said wasn't bad-mouthing the C8 at all. Nor did I bad-mouth GM. The C8 is what it is, and it offers the best bang for the buck of any mid-engine car out there, which is something I've said more than once. Compared to the Emira, it is a loud, beer-drinking brawler. People like that. They like power and noise. That's what is seducing them for the Z06; even more power and noise.

When I refer to bad-mouthing Lotus, I'm talking about disparaging them as a company, as though they're stupid, incompetent, ignorant, or just plain greedy and evil because they aren't offering a supercar in every way, including power, for under $90k. GM pretty much is with the C8, but they're a vastly different company than Lotus, and in a completely different position to be able to make and offer the C8 at the price they do.

.....EXCEPT for the brain dead, village idiot, moronic dope that thought it would be smart to detune the engine. There needs to be mandatory drug testing for those in the marketing dept who thought it would be smart to launch with a detuned I4 engine. Someone in marketing is smoking crack cocaine in the company bathroom.

The EVORA looked like the brand it represented at the time, which was more unstable than some 3rd world countries.
You don't know exactly what they've done with the engine, or why yet. I believe it was Gavan that said they've been working on the software and tuning to meet the current emissions requirements, which are tougher than they've ever been before. There may also be the difference between the U.K. rating which has the particulate filter, and the U.S. which doesn't require that. According to Carfection when they got a U.K. spec C8 to test, that filter cost about 2.5% of the power and torque of the engine compared to the U.S. numbers. If that's happening to the Emira, then the 360 hp for the AMG and the 400 hp for the V6 they're listing, may be the reduced power numbers that the filter causes. Take that off, and now you have about 416 for the V6 in the U.S., and about 370 for the AMG in the U.S.

We just don't know the final numbers yet, so I think it's both premature and unfair to Lotus to start damning them because they aren't offering 500 hp right out of the box. As I've said before, this isn't the beginning of their new future, it's the end of their old past; their last ICE car. However it does show what this new Lotus is able to do with design; both exterior and interior. Their future is electric, and the Evija has that 500 hp; PER WHEEL. The electric Lotus' are going to be the performance monsters. Combined with their design and chassis skills, they may very well be the electric cars that set the standard for everyone else to follow.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
No sense in debating this because the argument on both sides has already been presented. In summary, ( as I posted before) if Mercedes can put a 415hp version in a USA spec car, I am sure that LOTUS can do the same with Geely's tech help or AMG's tech help.

With all due respect, you need to stop defending LOTUS on this low horsepower detune stupidity, and instead confront the stupidity of LOTUS detuning this same engine that produces 415HP in Mercedes USA emissions compliant autos.

If you want to get "real" please don't defend the fact that LOTUS has some imaginary hurdles that they have to overcome that Mercedes does not have to also overcome to certify the exact same engine for the USA market. The only rational I myself would accept is that AMG/M-B is giving LOTUS the engine with the stipulation that it cannot make the same power that they are advertising in their own AMG products to somehow make their own Mercedes products appear superior in a marketing sense, with the caveat that after a few years when M-B phases out this engine that LOTUS can then go wild with the true max spec.

Defending selling a $75k sports car with a detuned engine that makes 360-380hp that weighs 3100lbs is ridiculous, especially from a brand with a weak dealer network that is looking to entice and lure prospective buyers from Porsche or Corvette, or Jaguar. That's besides the point that the previous platform already had 415hp in their V6. What manufacturer presents a new updated platform with LESS power than the previous platform, and then expects success ?

next you will defend the claim that Tess Holliday is anorexic.
"With all due respect"... then you puke out a bunch of immature, entitlement attitude nonsense. Do you even read what's posted or just go into tantrum mode automatically if you don't see what you want? Do you have any idea how emissions and mileage requirements work with credits and such? Mercedes has many different models, so does GM. Lotus has ONE. Mercedes and GM can take the ratings from their other models that exceed emissions and mileage requirements, and apply that surplus ratings-wise to their vehicles that don't meet the requirements, and that averages out the overall requirements for the company. Lotus can't do that. They're making only one car, so that one car has to meet ALL the homologation requirements completely by itself. That includes the engine/transmission performance. They can play around with performance curves to a point, but in the end when the car gets hooked up to the analyzers, it has to pass every single requirement by itself or they won't be able to sell it. They don't have the luxury of 'borrowing' the surplus performance of other cars they make to qualify the Emira, the way Mercedes, GM and other vehicle manufacturers do with their cars that don't pass requirements by themselves.

That's not defending, it's called being mature, intelligent and understanding what's involved and why. Lotus has to FIRST get the car certified for the U.K. and Europe. Their regulations and requirements are more strict than the U.S. requirements. That's just the hard reality of the way it is, it has nothing to do with defending, making excuses, or the idea that a company like Lotus would agree to accept a handicapped engine from another company just because. Their engineers do their own programming; they don't use what's coming from Toyota or Mercedes, they've already said that, so they aren't going to simply drop in a crate engine as-is.

We haven't even seen a final production spec car, yet you're already condemning them as though they're complete morons, when in reality, you're the one coming across that way. I highly recommend you get a Z06 instead of an Emira, because it doesn't sound like you're going to be happy with Lotus or the Emira no matter what they do.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
On the pricing question, the I4 shows $77k as a base model but if I want convenience package, Design package, black package, home link then what is the guess on the final price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The price of the base i4 is $74,900 as per Lotus. We won't know what the options costs are until they update the configurator, which is supposed to be on the 18th, 6 days from now.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Some of you people amaze me. Do you really think that Russel Carr, Gavan Kershaw, Matt Windle, the engineers and others at Lotus are clueless idiots? Do you actually think they're evil greedy monsters who are deliberately detuning the engines so they can upgrade them later, and it never occurred to them that people would notice? You guys act like they've never made cars before, never dealt with the public before, and have no experience with engine power and performance.

When Matt says "if you're familiar with how a Lotus drives and handles, you won't be disappointed with the Emira", that should mean something. He's actually been driving the Emira for the past year under the skin of an Evora, so he absolutely knows what they've had, and what they need to do to make the Emira better. They all do. They're replacing the internals of the manual gearbox with their own gears and gearing. They're not using Toyota's or Mercedes' software, they're using their own software and tuning. They're making their own intake and exhaust. There's more to performance than simple engine bhp, and every one of them knows it, which is why they're working on all of it as a complete system; intake, engine, software and tuning, exhaust and gearing, to make the Emira be the best Lotus they've ever made, which includes comparing it to the cars they've made in the past. They know people are going to make that comparison; they themselves have been making that comparison the whole time while developing the Emira. If you don't believe they know what they're doing, then buy something else. They're not some nefarious, underhanded corporation trying to rip people off and fleece them for every cent they can.

If you can't be patient and give them a chance to show what they can do when they finally reveal a production spec car, if you're just overwhelmed with horror and disgust because the published bhp listed is less than you like, then by all means retrieve your deposit and go buy something else. You don't have to do this if it's going to make you that unhappy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts