The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
The FE spec of the Emira has leather interior, upgraded sound and electric seats amongst a handful of other options. Any decent spec I've made on a 718 has had options in the 15-20K range and I have never had a car with electric seats. ( BTW, any spec on the 992 seems to come out to closer to 30K in options for me) My latest "order demand" (waiting for an allocation) on my latest Cayman on my CGTS is $120K(USD). Sure I like my cars with some bling but it still doesn't have electric seats.

Sounds like some people should count their chickens and buy the Porsche. The Canadian price for the GTS looks great to me. I might need to look into buying one from Canada and importing it to the States.

·
Registered
170 Posts
if you are going to option up, it's always best to take a look at the GTS. It's optioned and priced very well.
I am...when you really spec a Porsche it is costs some bucks.

For instance, the GTS leather interior is still a >$7500 option on the GTS car. LED lights, another grand. NAV/upgraded stereo another >$3000. I've been through this many times. No I don't typically buy strippers but the Canadian price for the Cayman GTS looks like a steal. If they don't appreciate what they have ( OK so they have to pay VAT, LOL) maybe I should just just buy what they don't want and ship it home. I did that with my Aston Martin. Shipped from Calgary...easy peasy.

·
Registered
170 Posts
First of all, Porsche, until recently shared the same production line for the 911 and 718, helping with economies of scale.
Second, your numbers aren't even close. First six months of this year, Porsche sold 2412 718's in the US alone.

Just cry and get it out of your system already.

( I see you tried to correct your numbers...getting closer.)

·
Registered
170 Posts
The $19K difference is comparing the base i4 model with a pretty decently optioned V6 FE model. Between the forged wheels, stitching, seats, upgraded sound, I think you are looking at 10K or more in options for the FE. There is no spec for the base, as of yet. Don't even know what the paint choices are.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It just feels weird for you to use leather/stitching/led lights/sound/navi to say the lotus is better than the porsche...I mean do you hear yourself?

Personally I like most of those options. If you don't want them then there is no way the Emira First Edition is for you. It specifically includes most of these. I guess the LED lights are part of the base car so you'll have to pick a bone with Lotus over that. LOL. I guess Lotus think these things make a better car too. Maybe you need to stick with a Caterham at this point because Lotus has decided they are moving on, with or without you.

A nice interior makes the car more enjoyable for me. If I wanted a gutted track car, I would get a gutted track car. Personally I would skip the electric seats to save weight but overall, on the road, it isn't going to be material.

By the way, what @Julian73 said is that optioned up similarly, the Emira FE is less money than the Porsche. I didn't see him use the word ( or imply) better.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a 718 Cayman GTS for a few years. I thought it was a great car. I never had any “ lag” issues. You just needed to keep it above 2500 rpms. Considering many people short shift and many bitch about gas mileage, I’m not overly surprised that people have trouble driving turbo engines. Overall, the engine has a lot of character and the sport response button was pretty cool...sort of like launch control for everyday driving and I thought paired well with the PDK.

It was obviously less mechanical and “old school” than an Evora but it was a great daily driver and had lots of storage space for longer trips. I’m waiting for an allocation for another 4.0 GTS, even though I’ll buy an Emira too. I’ll need something I can drive while I wait for parts if the Emira needs work.

·
Registered
170 Posts
This would be their first attempt.
I think the Evora was their first attempt. Go look back at some of the press around the release of that car. Emira will be a second attempt, and hopefully more successful...well..at least to the 5000 unit.yr or so level to keep the company functioning.

Companies morph all the time. Lotus is going in the direction I want. Good for me, maybe not so good for you. Would anybody really be surprised at this point if the I4 never gets a manual and the v6 disappears in a few years? I wouldn’t. I used to be a Saab fan and then they went in a “bad” direction and I had to move on. LOL.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My Cayman was a wall of torque. Nothing gradual. Pretty much on/ off. I thought it was a hoot to drive on the road. No lag but a a wall. Luckily the torque is not very high so it’s not so jarring. On the other hand my Aston Martin with the AMG v8 turbo is very similar but when you hit the accelerator that wall is frightening. That car is probably too much car for the back roads I like to drive.

I think the lower torque and 400 hp of the Emira/Evora is a sweet spot for backroad fun driving. Many times for me, less is more.

·
Registered
170 Posts
For me, personally, I am not taking the car to the track. This is strictly a backroad twisties car for me. I think 400hp will be great for that type of driving. Anything more may be too much. I have more powerful cars but I’m not looking for a car where I need to be doing >80 mph for it to be fun. I want agility and a car that is fun between 35-65.

Pretty sure I would give up another 50 hp if the top came off! Then that might be the perfect backroad burner

·
Registered
170 Posts
I’m pretty sure there aren’t many self proclaimed car “ enthusiasts “ who wouldn’t take a Porsche 550 over a C8, regardless of numbers. ( Money no object, if course)

I have a friend who just picked up his Tesla Plaid. It’s his dream car. I’m happy for him. Still not getting rid of my TR6 to make garage space even if the Tesla has neck snapping acceleration.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Admittedly, my 550 and TR6 examples are extreme but my main pint is that I think the Emira will be a more “ modern raw” experience vs the C8 or many other current cars. Sure the Emira will be slower ( and less refined) but for me that’s not the benchmark I’m using to justify “value”. I think the Emira will have a niche and $93k is a decent price point for that niche, IMO.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm going to disagree. I think everyone would consider the Evora a "modern raw" experience and it did not sell well at all....
You’ve got me there.

However, 1.) the MSRP on Emira is lower, 2.) I think many think it is a prettier car and 3.) I’m expecting the material and build quality to be improved.

I’m a sample of one but the Evora didn’t work for me, the Emira appears to. Maybe this time it will be different, LOL.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don’t think it’s straightforward apples to apples. The Emira options are bundled in some cases, and not directly comparable, but here are some numbers I believe are accurate regarding Evora GT options: ( I got them off a website but forget which one)

Base: $96950+ destination

Metallic paint. 3750
Premium paint. 5900
Exclusive paint. 8100

Forged wheels. 3250
Leather interior. 4500
Double stitching. 1000
Red center steering wheel. 450
Upgraded stereo. 500
Color brake calipers. 450

In my mind, the FE has about 12-14k in options. Well, that’s my working hypothesis anyway. Personally, I’m not particularly wigged out by the pricing. I’m in.

·
Registered
170 Posts
This isn’t the site I got the numbers but it is consistent with what I posted. It was pretty accurate with my Aston numbers which were a pain to collect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts