The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
507 Posts
IMO, I believe the price of $93k would be totally and absolutely justified if the EMIRA had 500hp. PERIOD.

The Emira is lacking in performance for the asking price IMO.

To me, it is stuck at a point below the C8 base model in performance and especially lacking if the C8 Z06 is also around $94k which most definitely it will be.

I think (IMO) lotus made a mistake not getting V6 output to at least 450hp min at Launch.

EMIRA’s 0-60 in less than 4.3 is corvette 6th generation numbers. The 2005 C6 weighed around the same as the EMIRA was the same length and also had 400hp on launch. That was 2005 or 15 years ago.

Ferrari, Lambo, Nissan GTR, Corvette know that each platform should have MORE power PLUS refinement.

Manufactures that have not added performance to new platforms lose sales. Example today Supra. EVEN viper 5th generation could not move cars off the lot with only 40more hp from previous 4th gen. Not many were enticed.

This “for the drivers” motto is only a meme with the performance and numbers the EMIRA will produce.

·
Banned
507 Posts
To me this is starting to sound somewhat like watches; do you want a watch because it looks good and tells time, or because it costs a lot and you want to impress people with that fact?

How much power do you need on the street? Lotus' were never max power competitors. There were always other cars that were faster and had more power, especially the Corvettes.

The Emira has that magic feel to it when you look at it, and it's going to have that magic feel when you drive it. A mid-engine Lotus with hydraulic steering and a manual trans; in 2022. Think about that. Honestly for those of you who are on the fence, or are convinced that more power in other cars is going to be a better driving/owner experience, either buy those other cars or wait until you can drive an Emira. If as some of you are indicating money is not the issue, then get the Emira. Either it will charm you or it won't. If it does, you have one. If it doesn't, you're not going to have any problem selling it as the waiting list is already backed up to 2023 and heading towards 2024.

You can be sure the reviewers are going to talk about the numbers, because they have to. That's their job. However I won't be surprised if they say "nevertheless", and start talking about the driving experience. Power and performance are going to depend on how Lotus has tuned the power curve, and whether or not they've done anything different with the gearing compared to previous models. We won't know until production cars are available to test. The FE is going to be a gorgeous and charming daily driver. You're going to be a rockstar everywhere you go. If that expensive 911 and an Emira pull into a parking lot together, guess which car people are going to walk over to look at.

There's more to motoring enjoyment than just horsepower. If that's more important to you than anything else, get something else, but don't bad-mouth Lotus because you thought it was going to be something that no Lotus has ever been. The Emira is a Lotus; not a Corvette or a Porsche. A Corvette is a loud beer-drinking brawler; a Porsche is a cold machine; a Lotus is an exotic flower.

I can't wait to get mine.
Your argument carries weight. But $93K to look at everyone else's tail lights from lagging behind as everyone opens up on the highway driving away from a car and coffee ?

$75k for a detuned 360hp I-4 ? ... when we all know the I-4 is good for 415hp documented ? Really ?? how about "power... for the Drivers" ? give me a break.

400hp is great for a "poser". Sure the EMIRA is stunning......while PARKED.

Again, this is one of the rare cases where a new manufacturer platform actually has LESS power than the previous ( Evora) . SHAMEFULL.

The Emira I-4 should have had 415hp at Launch for $75K
The Emira V6 should have had 450-475 at Launch for $85k base

·
Banned
507 Posts
I am not knocking the EMIRA, but constructively critiquing some bad moves that hold it back from it making LOTUS tons of money.

I still really like the car, but like I am stating, BIG MISTAKE detuning the I-4 when its no secret what it can do (420hp-430hp) and then asking $75k for that with ZERO options.

·
Banned
507 Posts
I'm #10 on a z06 deposit list. Waiting for Oct 23rd to see what the z06 comes in at on price/spec before deciding. Can't have emira and z06...unfortunately. But if it's under the 94k price of the 400hp V6FE, I might have to jump ship....I mean 9,000 rpm and 600hp flat-plane v8....I know the Emira is pretty and all, but dam.
make that the both of us..... BTW, the reveal is Oct 26th ( not 23rd ) .

The Z06 reveal determines if I cancel my EMIRA

·
Banned
507 Posts
You're welcome to show Lotus how to do that. I'm sure they'd appreciate it. And don't forget to include Geely in your plan. They'll be excited too to know how to do what you seem to think is so easy to do.

Sure, let me show you....... JUST do NOT detune the AMG engine...... not that hard at all.

The rest of the recipe is already intact.

How hard was that ?

·
Banned
507 Posts
You have no idea what's involved in dealing with regulations in today's heavily regulated, government suffocated world do you. It gets steadily worse every year. They haven't even finished the final specs for the V6 yet. They won't even start on the i4 until next year. Get something else; you're not going to be happy otherwise.
Really ??
  • Mercedes-AMG has revealed its new turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four, and it's the most powerful series-production four-cylinder in the world.
  • It makes 416 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque in top trim, giving it a specific output of 208.9 horsepower per liter.
  • The new engine will be put in the A45, the CLA45, the GLA45, and the GLB45.
But this identical engine will NOT be put in the EMIRA because LOTUS believes that 360hp version makes for a better drivers car.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Anyway, I'll eat my words and write a check on the spot if the US gets the red engine cover with the same Evora GT 416hp. If they don't it'll be a blow in the gut and I'm not sure what I'll do.
OK, but how will that red engine cover go along with the blue visible ( fluid ?) cap ??

·
Banned
507 Posts
Anyone guessing what the V6 base will cost ? It all comes down to what all the options are broken down on a FE. Looks also that LOTUS is using Porsche cayman as a pricing guide between the I-4 and the V6.

Anyone who knows EVORA option pricing want to chime in ? I have no true idea how LOTUS prices the options.

I am GUESSING $83k ??

anyone ?

On the oddball chance that the V6 base is $79-$80k, the EMIRA still has value if only lightly optioned, IMO

·
Banned
507 Posts
I paid 61k for an M2. Great car fun to drive and pretty practical. I’m in the market for a new car
If I can get a great sounding, manual drivers car that’s nice enough inside to daily drive I’m all in.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is EMIRA's best selling point, and how it is easily drawing from Corvette C8, Nissan GTR, Ferrari, Lambo, Supra prospective buyers (and other brands) is by offering a Manual transmission option. One of the single greatest marketing successful decisions that LOTUS made with the EMIRA was to offer a manual. Other than Porsche and some rice burners, there is no competition at this price point with the styling and engineering prowess that is offered with Emira.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Wrong... ask anyone on the street and they'd take many of the cars you listed over a manual Evora, which essentially the same car. You know how I know? Sales figures don't lie.

Emira's biggest selling point is the design (and teaser price). Most if not all of the reservations are based on just how good the car looked when it was revealed. So they got everyone's attention with the looks, but they need to back it up with the rest.
Agreed but only Partially true (IMO),.... truthfully, despite the great styling, the EMIRA also has (finally) a modern finished interior, and also now looks like a mainstream finished product from a major manufacturer. Take the badges off the EVORA and replace them with Lamborhini badges or even Nissan badges, and the EVORA would never even pass off as a Nissan product. I don't think the EVORA would even pass off as a Hyundai or Kia product if your swapped badges. I know I am going to get burned on this, but to me the EVORA came across as a kit car. To me it looked like a Factory Five Racing kit car. Even though it was cool, too much of it came across ( to me) as a hobbled together kit car. Just my perception, not based upon any factual data I can present. The Emira looks finished like a polished piece of jewelry. Swap out the badges and you could easily fool many it was a Alfa Romeo product, a Nissan or even a Maserati product. ( and to some even a Ferrari or Lambo) Its not only the styling but the fine detail and finish. The EMIRA looks finished both inside and outside. AND, the dual clutch with the I-4 is absolutely high tech and an excellent partnership choice, bringing an engine with great performance and top shelf name recognition and status being an AMG product .....EXCEPT for the brain dead, village idiot, moronic dope that thought it would be smart to detune the engine. There needs to be mandatory drug testing for those in the marketing dept who thought it would be smart to launch with a detuned I4 engine. Someone in marketing is smoking crack cocaine in the company bathroom.

The EVORA looked like the brand it represented at the time, which was more unstable than some 3rd world countries.

·
Banned
507 Posts
I think being critical on areas that need improvement is not a bad thing, the goal is to get better. I was very critical of many bad workmanship issues with my Evora, I also pointed out many good things about the car. The C8 Z06 will be announced on the 26th of this month. I believe it comes in under the Emira MSRP LE price with a FPC NA high rev 9k RPM motor. If that is the case and you can get one with a few options it will be a bargain super car. Still wont have a manual Like the Emira.
Lots of Die hard corvette manual lovers will consider the EMIRA, while others are buying used C7 Z06 manual's for $75k or base C7 manual's for $45k as their other option, but for many the EMIRA offers new car ownership, and is unique and rare unlike used C7's.

·
Banned
507 Posts
You don't know exactly what they've done with the engine, or why yet. I believe it was Gavan that said they've been working on the software and tuning to meet the current emissions requirements, which are tougher than they've ever been before. There may also be the difference between the U.K. rating which has the particulate filter, and the U.S. which doesn't require that. According to Carfection when they got a U.K. spec C8 to test, that filter cost about 2.5% of the power and torque of the engine compared to the U.S. numbers. If that's happening to the Emira, then the 360 hp for the AMG and the 400 hp for the V6 they're listing, may be the reduced power numbers that the filter causes. Take that off, and now you have about 416 for the V6 in the U.S., and about 370 for the AMG in the U.S.
We just don't know the final numbers yet, so I think it's both premature and unfair to Lotus to start damning them because they aren't offering 500 hp right out of the box. As I've said before, this isn't the beginning of their new future, it's the end of their old past; their last ICE car. However it does show what this new Lotus is able to do with design; both exterior and interior. Their future is electric, and the Evija has that 500 hp; PER WHEEL. The electric Lotus' are going to be the performance monsters. Combined with their design and chassis skills, they may very well be the electric cars that set the standard for everyone else to follow.
No sense in debating this because the argument on both sides has already been presented. In summary, ( as I posted before) if Mercedes can put a 415hp version in a USA spec car, I am sure that LOTUS can do the same with Geely's tech help or AMG's tech help.

With all due respect, you need to stop defending LOTUS on this low horsepower detune stupidity, and instead confront the stupidity of LOTUS detuning this same engine that produces 415HP in Mercedes USA emissions compliant autos.

If you want to get "real" please don't defend the fact that LOTUS has some imaginary hurdles that they have to overcome that Mercedes does not have to also overcome to certify the exact same engine for the USA market. The only rational I myself would accept is that AMG/M-B is giving LOTUS the engine with the stipulation that it cannot make the same power that they are advertising in their own AMG products to somehow make their own Mercedes products appear superior in a marketing sense, with the caveat that after a few years when M-B phases out this engine that LOTUS can then go wild with the true max spec.

Defending selling a $75k sports car with a detuned engine that makes 360-380hp that weighs 3100lbs is ridiculous, especially from a brand with a weak dealer network that is looking to entice and lure prospective buyers from Porsche or Corvette, or Jaguar. That's besides the point that the previous platform already had 415hp in their V6. What manufacturer presents a new updated platform with LESS power than the previous platform, and then expects success ?

next you will defend the claim that Tess Holliday is anorexic.

·
Banned
507 Posts
"With all due respect"... then you puke out a bunch of immature, entitlement attitude nonsense. Do you even read what's posted or just go into tantrum mode automatically if you don't see what you want? Do you have any idea how emissions and mileage requirements work with credits and such? Mercedes has many different models, so does GM. Lotus has ONE. Mercedes and GM can take the ratings from their other models that exceed emissions and mileage requirements, and apply that surplus ratings-wise to their vehicles that don't meet the requirements, and that averages out the overall requirements for the company. Lotus can't do that. They're making only one car, so that one car has to meet ALL the homologation requirements completely by itself. That includes the engine/transmission performance. They can play around with performance curves to a point, but in the end when the car gets hooked up to the analyzers, it has to pass every single requirement by itself or they won't be able to sell it. They don't have the luxury of 'borrowing' the surplus performance of other cars they make to qualify the Emira, the way Mercedes, GM and other vehicle manufacturers do with their cars that don't pass requirements by themselves.

That's not defending, it's called being mature, intelligent and understanding what's involved and why. Lotus has to FIRST get the car certified for the U.K. and Europe. Their regulations and requirements are more strict than the U.S. requirements. That's just the hard reality of the way it is, it has nothing to do with defending, making excuses, or the idea that a company like Lotus would agree to accept a handicapped engine from another company just because. Their engineers do their own programming; they don't use what's coming from Toyota or Mercedes, they've already said that, so they aren't going to simply drop in a crate engine as-is.

We haven't even seen a final production spec car, yet you're already condemning them as though they're complete morons, when in reality, you're the one coming across that way. I highly recommend you get a Z06 instead of an Emira, because it doesn't sound like you're going to be happy with Lotus or the Emira no matter what they do.
OK, understood, got it

·
Banned
507 Posts
"The EVORA looked like the brand it represented at the time, which was more unstable than some 3rd world countries".
Says the man that has, correct me if I'm wrong, has never even driven one......this is why you get snarked on so much, the above statement is being as A$$hole. Considering how unstable the company was, the vehicle was far more remarkable than anything Generally Mediocre produced in that time frame. You could even drive them on a wet track.....
Interesting point of view.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Some of you people amaze me. Do you really think that Russel Carr, Gavan Kershaw, Matt Windle, the engineers and others at Lotus are clueless idiots? Do you actually think they're evil greedy monsters who are deliberately detuning the engines so they can upgrade them later, and it never occurred to them that people would notice? You guys act like they've never made cars before, never dealt with the public before, and have no experience with engine power and performance.

When Matt says "if you're familiar with how a Lotus drives and handles, you won't be disappointed with the Emira", that should mean something. He's actually been driving the Emira for the past year under the skin of an Evora, so he absolutely knows what they've had, and what they need to do to make the Emira better. They all do. They're replacing the internals of the manual gearbox with their own gears and gearing. They're not using Toyota's or Mercedes' software, they're using their own software and tuning. They're making their own intake and exhaust. There's more to performance than simple engine bhp, and every one of them knows it, which is why they're working on all of it as a complete system; intake, engine, software and tuning, exhaust and gearing, to make the Emira be the best Lotus they've ever made, which includes comparing it to the cars they've made in the past. They know people are going to make that comparison; they themselves have been making that comparison the whole time while developing the Emira. If you don't believe they know what they're doing, then buy something else. They're not some nefarious, underhanded corporation trying to rip people off and fleece them for every cent they can.

If you can't be patient and give them a chance to show what they can do when they finally reveal a production spec car, if you're just overwhelmed with horror and disgust because the published bhp listed is less than you like, then by all means retrieve your deposit and go buy something else. You don't have to do this if it's going to make you that unhappy.
Very honorable of you to defend the LOTUS and the EMIRA, but you come across as nothing more than a fanboy with blinders on kissing LOTUS asses all day long.

The Emira, like many others needs to be critiqued so the product ( the Emira) evolves into a better product.

The EMIRA as it is now is a great car, with a large amount of deposits, (many of which are first time LOTUS buyers) proving that it is a great success...... so therefore there should be no criticisms or room for improvement ? ridiculous !!

Everyone knows the I4 can make more power than the 360-380hp its spec'ed out on the initial launch......except for YOU ! do everyone a favor and stop defending this.....everyone but YOU realizes that this motor will be tuned to output and produce more power going forward to keep sales advancing as the platform ages.

Defend anything else,..... the pricing, the weight, the dealer network, the marketing, the paint colors, whatever,...BUT please stop defending this I4 motor that obviously was detuned.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts