The Lotus Cars Community banner
281 - 288 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Sorry I thought it was along the lines of people thinking they can just throw a tune on a Lotus.
Well this is also a valid consideration. There's no history of a Lotus tuned AMG engine for tuners to pull from, so it may be locked up for a long time before someone figures it out. Some states like California, are starting to crack down on aftermarket tuners too, so it may never happen.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
388 Posts
Well this is also a valid consideration. There's no history of a Lotus tuned AMG engine for tuners to pull from, so it may be locked up for a long time before someone figures it out. Some states like California, are starting to crack down on aftermarket tuners too, so it may never happen.
Oh, it'll happen. The ECU will eventually get cracked, but until then, piggybacks are an easy way to get extra power. For those who are serious about it, though, a standalone ECU is also an option.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yeah but I wouldn't want to blow the warranty on a $100k car just for a bit more power. How much more are we talking? 416 to 430? or 450? I don't think that would make that much difference to be worth losing the warranty. Once the 3 year warranty is up, or longer if you buy an extended one, then I guess it doesn't matter, but I'd rather look at spending money on weight reduction first.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
388 Posts
Yeah but I wouldn't want to blow the warranty on a $100k car just for a bit more power. How much more are we talking? 416 to 430? or 450? I don't think that would make that much difference to be worth losing the warranty. Once the 3 year warranty is up, or longer if you buy an extended one, then I guess it doesn't matter, but I'd rather look at spending money on weight reduction first.
Well, let's start with these options: https://www.komo-tec.com/en/lotus-evora/evora-400410430/power-phases/

How exactly are you going to save weight? If I use your own logic (pick one):
1. Lotus is so great at what they do and have the most brilliant engineers who've shed every ounce off the car. You think you can improve on what they did? Legally? Without voiding your warranty or creating safety risks?
2. There's so much weight you'd have to shed to have a significant enough difference, you'd have to be Mario Andretti to feel the difference. You think you'll feel it? Especially on the street? You don't need less weight, if Lotus releases the car with "X" weight, then that's that. Just enjoy it and be thankful.

By the way, the numbers you are throwing out are based on the V6. I'm expecting that to be 416hp and get to 60 in upper-three's. The engine most people are complaining about being detuned is the i4. In that case, hell yeah I'd want to go from 360 to 420 or more. If the rear tires can hold the power I'll take it. I want the car to be solidly into the 3's.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Well, let's start with these options: https://www.komo-tec.com/en/lotus-evora/evora-400410430/power-phases/

How exactly are you going to save weight? If I use your own logic (pick one):
1. Lotus is so great at what they do and have the most brilliant engineers who've shed every ounce off the car. You think you can improve on what they did? Legally? Without voiding your warranty or creating safety risks?
2. There's so much weight you'd have to shed to have a significant enough difference, you'd have to be Mario Andretti to feel the difference. You think you'll feel it? Especially on the street? You don't need less weight, if Lotus releases the car with "X" weight, then that's that. Just enjoy it and be thankful.

By the way, the numbers you are throwing out are based on the V6. I'm expecting that to be 416hp and get to 60 in upper-three's. The engine most people are complaining about being detuned is the i4. In that case, hell yeah I'd want to go from 360 to 420 or more. If the rear tires can hold the power I'll take it. I want the car to be solidly into the 3's.
lol...such an attitude. At any rate, areas to add lightness:

Battery - A light-weight battery can typically save at least 30 lbs. depending on which one you get.
Wheels - Depending on the weight of the forged wheels included with the FE, I've found a set that weigh 24 lbs each, so possibly some savings there.
Brake rotors - Depending on the weight of the 2-piece rotors included with the FE, it may be possible to save 3-4 lbs per rotor (not considering CC rotors which are mondo expensive).
Exhaust - Titanium exhaust can shave 10-20 lbs off compared to factory exhaust.
Flywheel - For manual cars, a light-weight billet steel flywheel can typically save 20+ lbs compared to stock.
Seats - A light-weight racing seat can usually save around 40+ lbs per seat, depending on what the 12-way seats in the FE each weigh.

These are all things that can be done, although it will cost to do so, especially if you do all of them. However if you do, you can save somewhere around 170-190 or so pounds of weight. Maybe even a bit more. If the FE winds up weighing 3200 lbs, with the current 416 hp, that's a power to weight ratio of 7.69. Removing 170 lbs changes that to 7.28. The Z51 C8 is 7.36 just for comparison.

All of the above is going to cost around $10k-$15k depending on what you get. Could Lotus have done this from the factory? Sure, but then they would have had to add the cost to the price of the car, so just imagine the screaming that would have ensued if the starting price of the FE was over $100k; and that would still be with the 416 hp V6. With the possible exception of the billet steel flywheel, I don't think any of the above would void the warranty. The change in performance would be greater than the sum of the parts too. The reduction of unsprung rotating weight in the wheels and brake rotors compounds the effect of the weight reduction, and the reduction of rotating weight in the flywheel improves the throttle response of the engine. The effect on performance would be more like removing 300 lbs. No tune needed, no added power with its increase in heat and stress on the engine and components. In fact, the above would actually reduce stress on the car. Colin Chapman was no dummy; adding lightness works.

This doesn't even touch carbon fiber body panels, but I honestly don't consider those worth what they cost compared to what you save in weight, not to mention the costs of getting them painted to match your car unless you want to leave them unpainted.

So yeah, Lotus is brilliant at what they do, but no they haven't shed every ounce off the car. They never said that was their goal, nor are they claiming they've done that. They've clearly said adding some luxury and comfort was a priority to make the car appeal to a wider range of customers than their cars have in the past. They also wanted to do as much as they could and keep the car well under $100k. The FE is a special exception because of its option bundle, but I expect the base V6 car to be around $80k usd. The Emira wasn't designed to be a dedicated track car; it's designed to be a sports car that can be used on the track, but is comfortable enough to be used as a daily driver. Based on the public's reaction so far, it looks like they got it right.

Get one; enjoy it; be thankful they made it because you can be sure you wouldn't have been able to on your own. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Because it's sexy and unique! Outside of supercars you can't find this kind of design. I was looking at buying a $270k car, but after seeing the Emira I put a pause on that purchase thinking Lotus wouldn't just look special but would be more special than the predecessor. I did not expect a detuned engine and much worse performance specs than before. At least match it.

Anyway, point is just that being able to afford a car is one thing, justifying/loving it is another.
Precisely my reasons as well.

281 - 288 of 288 Posts