The Lotus Cars Community banner
41 - 60 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
First of all, Porsche, until recently shared the same production line for the 911 and 718, helping with economies of scale.
Second, your numbers aren't even close. First six months of this year, Porsche sold 2412 718's in the US alone.

Just cry and get it out of your system already.

( I see you tried to correct your numbers...getting closer.)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
First of all, Porsche, until recently shared the same production line for the 911 and 718, helping with economies of scale.
Second, your numbers aren't even close. First six months of this year, Porsche sold 2412 718's in the US alone.

Just cry and get it out of your system already.

( I see you tried to correct your numbers...getting closer.)
If your production pass from 1400 to 4800 units per year dont you call that a low mass production car ?

See what happen to the sales number when the higher priced Evora S model came out in 2010-2011.

Their loyal customers data base are not for cars priced too high.

They will have more succes playing into the Cayman territory then into the 911 territory.

EUROPE SALES
Font Number Screenshot Rectangle Parallel

USA :
Rectangle Font Number Parallel Screenshot

Reactions: vcappp

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
This is precisely the point. The Emira offers something that nothing else does under $100k.

American cars never had to compete in the lithe and agility department because the manufacturers, Chevy and Ford in particular, always had gobs of power available and cheap gas to fuel it. Need more performance? Just increase the displacement of those small block V8s, doesn't matter if they only get 12 mpg because gas in the U.S. is 30 cents a gallon. At that time, post-war Europe was still working on recovering from the effects of WW2, so they didn't have big engines, and gas was a LOT more expensive over there. For them, the way to improve performance was through chassis development, lightness, higher revving small displacement engines, and 5 speed transmissions to make up for lack of power and torque with gearing. Necessity was the driver of their invention. In America, cars were big, heavy, and had 3 speed transmissions because that was all they needed. The V8 was their savior for performance. Lots of low rpm torque and power.

In recent years American manufacturers have improved the handling quotient dramatically; especially Chevy. The Camaro ZL1 1LE is the finest sports GT America has ever produced. It's no longer just a muscle car. The C8 shows Chevy's prowess in taking that tried and true formula to a mid-engine car. For bang for the buck, you really can't beat either one of those cars. They're raw, brash, powerful. They're also somewhat heavy, especially optioned-out.

The Emira is a completely different animal. It's not going to be as fast in a straight line as the Chevy's. Not going to have the same torque or grunt off the line. Once you get going however, you'll quickly see the difference between a rodeo bronco rider, and a thoroughbred equestrian. Not as loud, not as dramatic, refined, elegant, precise, smooth. It's just a higher order of automotive performance, taking into account more than raw power. That's why the Emira costs what it does. If that's what you're interested in, the Emira is a bargain. If not, it's too expensive compared to other cars.
Replace Emira w/ Evora. Sounds like the same car for under 100k you're describing ;) :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
5,463 Posts
if you are going to option up, it's always best to take a look at the GTS. It's optioned and priced very well.
While it is hard to purchase the 718 or any Porsche for that matter, without being optioned up. Those options cost a pretty penny and no base GTS to GT4 is appointed as well as the FE Emira. leather, contracts stitching, LED lights, premium sound system, navi, metallic paint, The Emira is the lower cost deal.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
599 Posts
Porsche sell +or- 3000 Cayman in North America per year.

Lotus plan is to sell 4800 Emira per year to be profitable and close to 2000 units for North America alone.

I think very well that the terms low mass production can be applied here.
Porsche made 272k vehicles last year. Source: Brief Overview 2020

They also have insanely deep pockets, majority ownership stake in VAG which is the umbrella company for VW, Audi, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc. Basically one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world with a combined 8.9 million cars produced last year.

So yeah, let's not compare to how many Cayman Porsche sold in North America ;)

You are still thinking at Lotus the way you know it from the past.

If you see it like that too for the future better close the book right now.

The brand will disapear. I dont want that to happen and you probably dont want either.
To reach those sales numbers years after year for 5 to 10 years from now, you need the car to be affordable to the targeted customers. The average car enthousiast just like the Elise and Exige did in the past. Lotus sales dropped when they started raising the Evora price higher and higher.
Well, Lotus still hasn't sold a single Emira, they've only sold a promise. Granted the future is looking brighter, but the timing is also potentially on Lotus' side. Sales will matter - especially in the coming years after this initial buzz wears off. And the buzz will wear off if Lotus manufactures every car they can, which Matt Windle has already stated. Their saving grace is that they won't be able to produce quite as quickly as they think, but words have meaning, so I hope Lotus speaks cautiously. They need not look far at McLaren to see the repercussions. The hype and demand drop when there's a steady supply. We want things we can't have, it's human nature.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
599 Posts
While it is hard to purchase the 718 or any Porsche for that matter, without being optioned up. Those options cost a pretty penny and no base GTS to GT4 is appointed as well as the FE Emira. leather, contracts stitching, LED lights, premium sound system, navi, metallic paint, The Emira is the lower cost deal.
Sure, but I'm sure there are options Porsche has the Emira doesn't, so let's add those. PDK is like $3k. You want it in the Emira and JUBU will charge you $25k. Want a convertible? That's a DIY option only.

Ok, I'm joking, but these comparisons really aren't apples to apples. To the general public having a dealer in the area would be important - what's that worth? I won't enumerate all of the ways Lotus can't match a Porsche, because it's pretty useless.

The question is: at the price, is it a compelling offering? I believe it is. It's unique, beautiful and has that je ne sais quoi evoking passion. It's no less striking looking than many supercars - it just doesn't have the drivetrain of one.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I dont know how big the Geely groups is compare to Porsche but I saw they had 209 billions revenue back in 2016. So I think we are in bussiness to talk about a low mass production vehicule and until now everything is pretty well aligned to get there.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Interesting, considering Lotus themselves said the base I4 was going to be $74,900.
+ 2 200$ destination chargé probably.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
599 Posts
I dont know how big the Geely groups is compare to Porsche but I saw they had 209
billions revenue back in 2016. So I think we are in bussiness to talk about a low mass production vehicule and until now everything is pretty well aligned to get there.
One is a newly formed relationship and mostly financial in nature, the other has been producing cars for longer than we've been alive. Apples and oranges, my friend. Just look forward to the car and enjoy knowing that for every 100 Porsche's you'll see on the road, you might see one Lotus ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I also thought the power output was going to be around 360 not 260 for the I4
Everyone complained about turbo's so now Lotus will be offering an NA I4 with 260hp. And no real driver needs more than 250hp for turns anyways! :)

Just look forward to the car and enjoy knowing that for every 100 Porsche's you'll see on the road, you might see one Lotus ;)
You're way off. That would have me seeing a Lotus every 5 days!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
One is a newly formed relationship and mostly financial in nature, the other has been producing cars for longer than we've been alive. Apples and oranges, my friend. Just look forward to the car and enjoy knowing that for every 100 Porsche's you'll see on the road, you might see one Lotus ;)
We all like that exclusivity but Lotus cannot continue to be that exclusive otherwise we wont be able to get another Lotus in the future. There is a sweet spot between becoming as common as a Porsche and not beeing as rare as the current Lotus. Too much is like not enough like everything in general.

Reactions: vcappp

·
Registered
265 Posts
So many posts on the new Emira. So I will admit that I'm to lazy to wade through it all. Can anyone explain how there is 19 grand difference between the two. I put a deposit down on a V6, but now thinking the AMG might make more sense. My apologies if this has been covered a dozen times.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So many posts on the new Emira. So I will admit that I'm to lazy to wade through it all. Can anyone explain how there is 19 grand difference between the two. I put a deposit down on a V6, but now thinking the AMG might make more sense. My apologies if this has been covered a dozen times.
My guess is that they assume early adopters will pay extra for the first edition (available) which is only the V6 version. Additionally, early adopters will likely opt for a manual transmission, which again is exclusive to the V6.

This combined with the need to perfect their assembly lines and the new manufacturing processes, made them decide to first go with the V6 variant. In my opinion it was a marketing/financial decision, based on knowing their target audience.

To completely normalize the cost difference, we’ll need to compare the base AMG to the base V6.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The $19K difference is comparing the base i4 model with a pretty decently optioned V6 FE model. Between the forged wheels, stitching, seats, upgraded sound, I think you are looking at 10K or more in options for the FE. There is no spec for the base, as of yet. Don't even know what the paint choices are.

41 - 60 of 288 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.