The Lotus Cars Community banner
61 - 80 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
So many posts on the new Emira. So I will admit that I'm to lazy to wade through it all. Can anyone explain how there is 19 grand difference between the two. I put a deposit down on a V6, but now thinking the AMG might make more sense. My apologies if this has been covered a dozen times.
The 19 grand difference is simply that the AMG price is for the base model, the V6 price is for the First Edition which is loaded with almost every option available.

·
Registered
486 Posts
While it is hard to purchase the 718 or any Porsche for that matter, without being optioned up. Those options cost a pretty penny and no base GTS to GT4 is appointed as well as the FE Emira. leather, contracts stitching, LED lights, premium sound system, navi, metallic paint, The Emira is the lower cost deal.
It just feels weird for you to use leather/stitching/led lights/sound/navi to say the lotus is better than the porsche...I mean do you hear yourself?

·
Registered
212 Posts
It just feels weird for you to use leather/stitching/led lights/sound/navi to say the lotus is better than the porsche...I mean do you hear yourself?

Personally I like most of those options. If you don't want them then there is no way the Emira First Edition is for you. It specifically includes most of these. I guess the LED lights are part of the base car so you'll have to pick a bone with Lotus over that. LOL. I guess Lotus think these things make a better car too. Maybe you need to stick with a Caterham at this point because Lotus has decided they are moving on, with or without you.

A nice interior makes the car more enjoyable for me. If I wanted a gutted track car, I would get a gutted track car. Personally I would skip the electric seats to save weight but overall, on the road, it isn't going to be material.

By the way, what @Julian73 said is that optioned up similarly, the Emira FE is less money than the Porsche. I didn't see him use the word ( or imply) better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I spent a few days with the Cayman and was disappointed. The accelerator's response was sloppy. You really have to step hard to push it. I think the Porsche is over rated. I expect the Emira to do better.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
587 Posts
I spent a few days with the Cayman and was disappointed. The accelerator's response was sloppy. You really have to step hard to push it. I think the Porsche is over rated. I expect the Emira to do better.
"Cayman" or Cayman GTS 4.0/GT4? Cayman comes with multiple engine/transmission options, please be specific.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
587 Posts
You're way off. That would have me seeing a Lotus every 5 days!
You're right, I was off by at least a factor of 10. Sorry, that's what happens when I post while doing other things.

We all like that exclusivity but Lotus cannot continue to be that exclusive otherwise we wont be able to get another Lotus in the future. There is a sweet spot between becoming as common as a Porsche and not beeing as rare as the current Lotus. Too much is like not enough like everything in general.
Well, just look at the numbers. Even if Lotus maxes out production (not gonna happen for a while) and is able to sell every car it makes (success in everyone's book), it's still a pittance compared to how many Porsche's there are on the road.

So many posts on the new Emira. So I will admit that I'm to lazy to wade through it all. Can anyone explain how there is 19 grand difference between the two. I put a deposit down on a V6, but now thinking the AMG might make more sense. My apologies if this has been covered a dozen times.
Don't worry about the stuff we post about here. Most people just need something to talk about while we wait for info, wait to order, wait for the car, etc.

The options will be given to you by your dealer before ordering and most, if not all dealers, will have the car for you to sit in. You'll see samples of the colors, feel the leather, etc.

Again, ignore the noise here, we just got nothing better to do with our time than to complain, speculate, teach Lotus how to run their business and so on ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
"Cayman" or Cayman GTS 4.0/GT4? Cayman comes with multiple engine/transmission options, please be specific.
It was a Cayman S. I have driven 2 recent Porsches. Their accelerator response is the same. You have to step hard to get it responsive. It is not lack of power but the response of the acclerator pedal. Hardly fun for driving.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
587 Posts
It was a Cayman S. I have driven 2 recent Porsches. Their accelerator response is the same. You have to step hard to get it responsive. It is not lack of power but the response of the acclerator pedal. Hardly fun for driving.
Yeah, that's a completely different animal. It's a 2.5L turbo and it'll feel laggy. Try the 4.0L N/A engine and see if if you still feel the same way. That will also still feel different than the Evora/Emira. It'll feel more like a race engine with more top-end/high RPM.

For comparison, the Evora GT was making 8.7lbs of boost, so... (8.7/14.7 + 1) * 3.5 = ~5.5L engine equivalent if you don't take into account parasitic and thermal losses.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The price is amazing for what it is. You can get the base I4. Throw in a tune to get up to 518hp/433lbft. Throw on new turbos and it is 550-600hp. That is what I hate about the Toyota V6. There is little to no room to upgrading it. I am sure we will see engine swaps coming. I still think it is a bargain even at 93K. There will always be faster cars out there.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
587 Posts
The price is amazing for what it is. You can get the base I4. Throw in a tune to get up to 518hp/433lbft. Throw on new turbos and it is 550-600hp. That is what I hate about the Toyota V6. There is little to no room to upgrading it. I am sure we will see engine swaps coming. I still think it is a bargain even at 93K. There will always be faster cars out there.
Completely agree with you, except the Toyota V6 can be built to way more power than the chassis will handle (I've read somewhere the bottom-end will hold 800-900whp). It's the transmission that's a bummer and needs to be upgraded.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had a 718 Cayman GTS for a few years. I thought it was a great car. I never had any “ lag” issues. You just needed to keep it above 2500 rpms. Considering many people short shift and many bitch about gas mileage, I’m not overly surprised that people have trouble driving turbo engines. Overall, the engine has a lot of character and the sport response button was pretty cool...sort of like launch control for everyday driving and I thought paired well with the PDK.

It was obviously less mechanical and “old school” than an Evora but it was a great daily driver and had lots of storage space for longer trips. I’m waiting for an allocation for another 4.0 GTS, even though I’ll buy an Emira too. I’ll need something I can drive while I wait for parts if the Emira needs work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, that's a completely different animal. It's a 2.5L turbo and it'll feel laggy. Try the 4.0L N/A engine and see if if you still feel the same way. That will also still feel different than the Evora/Emira. It'll feel more like a race engine with more top-end/high RPM.

For comparison, the Evora GT was making 8.7lbs of boost, so... (8.7/14.7 + 1) * 3.5 = ~5.5L engine equivalent if you don't take into account parasitic and thermal losses.
Thanks for the info. I should test drive the GTS to see the difference.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
587 Posts
Porsche sell +or- 3000 Cayman in North America per year.

Lotus plan is to sell 4800 Emira per year to be profitable and close to 2000 units for North America alone.

I think very well that the terms low mass production can be applied here.

You are still thinking at Lotus the way you know it from the past.

If you see it like that too for the future better close the book right now.

The brand will disapear. I dont want that to happen and you probably dont want either.
To reach those sales numbers years after year for 5 to 10 years from now, you need the car to be affordable to the targeted customers. The average car enthousiast just like the Elise and Exige did in the past. Lotus sales dropped when they started raising the Evora price higher and higher.
The number of cars Lotus imported to the USA dropped off sharply when the Elige was no longer available. There were only like 80 Evora S models imported in 2011, but there were 175ish manual 400s the first year they were available in 2017. I can't find the chart now but USA sales has been up and down depending on if a new Evora model was available that year.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I’m surprise nobody find questionable the fact that the Emira FE V6 is 14.5% cheaper than their Evora base price in UK and for North America it is a skinny 3% difference only.

How come such a different position pricing strategy ?

I recall that the destination charge of 2 200$US per car is not yet included into that 93 900$ price and the GBP to USD currency is as of now 6-7% different from 2019 and 2-3% different from 2018 but no 11-12% difference.

If we can attribute a 7% loss because of the current bad exchange rate let's try with a price point 7-8% lower then the Evora base price :

96 950$ - 7.5% = 89 675$ or 89 995$ from a marketing point of view it sounds and look better.

2021 = 1.36

1.28 + 6% = 1.356

1.28 + 7% = 1.3696

Font Number Screenshot Rectangle Circle

Reactions: vcappp

·
Registered
486 Posts
Personally I like most of those options. If you don't want them then there is no way the Emira First Edition is for you. It specifically includes most of these. I guess the LED lights are part of the base car so you'll have to pick a bone with Lotus over that. LOL. I guess Lotus think these things make a better car too. Maybe you need to stick with a Caterham at this point because Lotus has decided they are moving on, with or without you.

A nice interior makes the car more enjoyable for me. If I wanted a gutted track car, I would get a gutted track car. Personally I would skip the electric seats to save weight but overall, on the road, it isn't going to be material.

By the way, what @Julian73 said is that optioned up similarly, the Emira FE is less money than the Porsche. I didn't see him use the word ( or imply) better.
Maybe the newer member/buyers are shopping luxury more like porsche. I guess it's cool we are bringing that segment of shopper over to Lotus, but lotus has never been known for luxury or even quality in that realm. This would be their first attempt. If nice leather, 12-way seats, navigation, sound system and headlights bring in more lotus $$ and helps bring over that porsche shopper, so be it. I'm more concerned about how it feels on the road/drives.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The GBP-vs-USD exchange rate is near historical lows. This means it is prudent for Lotus to hedge against future increases with a 5-10 year horizon, given the anticipated length of time that the Emira will remain available in the US.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The GBP-vs-USD exchange rate is near historical lows. This means it is prudent for Lotus to hedge against future increases with a 5-10 year horizon, given the anticipated length of time that the Emira will remain available in the US.
I do not buy that argument at all because car company can revise and change their price every year if they want and call that inflation so no need to fix a price to anticipate the 10 years to come.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This would be their first attempt.
I think the Evora was their first attempt. Go look back at some of the press around the release of that car. Emira will be a second attempt, and hopefully more successful...well..at least to the 5000 unit.yr or so level to keep the company functioning.

Companies morph all the time. Lotus is going in the direction I want. Good for me, maybe not so good for you. Would anybody really be surprised at this point if the I4 never gets a manual and the v6 disappears in a few years? I wouldn’t. I used to be a Saab fan and then they went in a “bad” direction and I had to move on. LOL.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Do you mean there is a delay in response or as you seemed to say it's an issue of accelerator mapping so you have to push further down to get more gas compared to other cars?

If it's accelerator mapping it's probably intentional because people who track want a more linear response (10% pedal travel really means 10% power etc) so the driver has the most control. Most cars give you a false sense of power by mapping 10% travel to much more power, say 20% or 30%, so you get at lot initially but little as you keep pushing down on the accelerator... which is bad for tracking.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My Cayman was a wall of torque. Nothing gradual. Pretty much on/ off. I thought it was a hoot to drive on the road. No lag but a a wall. Luckily the torque is not very high so it’s not so jarring. On the other hand my Aston Martin with the AMG v8 turbo is very similar but when you hit the accelerator that wall is frightening. That car is probably too much car for the back roads I like to drive.

I think the lower torque and 400 hp of the Emira/Evora is a sweet spot for backroad fun driving. Many times for me, less is more.

61 - 80 of 288 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.