The Lotus Cars Community banner
81 - 100 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Do you mean there is a delay in response or as you seemed to say it's an issue of accelerator mapping so you have to push further down to get more gas compared to other cars?

If it's accelerator mapping it's probably intentional because people who track want a more linear response (10% pedal travel really means 10% power etc) so the driver has the most control. Most cars give you a false sense of power by mapping 10% travel to much more power, say 20% or 30%, so you get at lot initially but little as you keep pushing down on the accelerator... which is bad for tracking.
Gas pedals are almost a computer itself by now. I remember having tried several Mercedes Benz with a delay on the accelerator probably to help having a smoother experience but you dont want that on a sport car.

My STI was like that also with the sport or sport sharp mode. The throttle response is ultra sensitive into sharp mode but from 75% to 100% travel you do not see any difference. Like you said no good at all for people who track theirs cars.

Nothing better than the good old wire alone that goes from the pedal to the throttle body !

Reactions: brgelise

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
I’m surprise nobody find questionable the fact that the Emira FE V6 is 14.5% cheaper than their Evora base price in UK and for North America it is a skinny 3% difference only.

How come such a different position pricing strategy ?

I recall that the destination charge of 2 200$US per car is not yet included into that 93 900$ price and the GBP to USD currency is as of now 6-7% different from 2019 and 2-3% different from 2018 but no 11-12% difference.

If we can attribute a 7% loss because of the current bad exchange rate let's try with a price point 7-8% lower then the Evora base price :

96 950$ - 7.5% = 89 675$ or 89 995$ from a marketing point of view it sounds and look better.

2021 = 1.36

1.28 + 6% = 1.356

1.28 + 7% = 1.3696

View attachment 1298716
I think it's 11.2%? 75,995 for Emira FE V6versus 85,675 for the GT410, but I get the point.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I think it's 11.2%? 75,995 for Emira FE V6versus 85,675 for the GT410, but I get the point.
Look at the GT410 sport it is a lot more close to the Evora GT.
The GT 410 non-sport look like a cheaper version then our base GT.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Reactions: vcappp

·
Registered
363 Posts
I do not buy that argument at all because car company can revise and change their price every year if they want and call that inflation so no need to fix a price to anticipate the 10 years to come.
That's not how marketing works. Consumers don't care about how your underlying costs change, they only care about the product, the price, and the sales/service network in support of the product. If you want to maintain a coherent marketing strategy towards your target buyers, then maintaining a fairly stable price is as important as the product itself. Lotus will not be able to charge 20% more for a car just because the exchange rate moved that much, because the market cannot absorb that large of a jump in price. The other cars that Lotus competes with will certainly not change their price in this manner. What you will also have are people waiting on the sidelines for the price to go down due to the exchange rate.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Global companies will also use currency hedges to minimize the effects of large exchange rate swings on profit margins.

Another effect companies have to account for when pricing a product is the first impression often sticks... so if the first impression is it's overpriced, that sticks even after the price is lowered. And it's always better to raise the price because demand is too high instead of having to discount due to lack of demand.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Price? Two comments - 1. if you have to ask.....or the variation on that expression.....someone who wants that specific car is concerned over some thousands?
2. Remember that the price of a nice Esprit about 25 years ago was around $86,000. So this is inflation?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Price? Two comments - 1. if you have to ask.....or the variation on that expression.....someone who wants that specific car is concerned over some thousands?
4 000$usd means +5 200$cad + 15% sale taxs = +6k.

I would like to be able to tell you I dont give a f_ _ _ +6K-8K on top of the 132K -135K I was targeting but for some it may be the difference between the dream comes true or not.
If my pocket could be deep enough I would gladly pay 150K-175K for the car because it is the one that I want.

At 140-145K CAD with taxs it is starting to make big monney for the average car enthousiast ; It is almost half the price of my house.

Even if my budget is way way higher then the one needed to buy one of those cars listed below into the article it look more like if I should have a budget for a 911 instead.
Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Document

I am not saying the Emira price is a steal but is it possible that Lotus may have take a little extra on top of the cherry for the North American market ?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Oh, absolutely, I think it's clear that Lotus is capturing additional margins from the US at the current pricing level. Based on current demand, it seems Lotus won't have any difficulty finding buyers at least for the first couple of years. Once the car hit the market, there will be additional reviews, etc, and that'll keep demand going for a while.

The attractiveness privilege is strong with the Emira. A lot of people are going to like it just because of how it looks. A lot of quirks can be forgiven when the car looks so good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Anyone expecting anything to be performance to price competitive with the Corvette will end up never buying another vehicle again (except a Corvette). With 1) the quantity of sales the Corvette brand carries, 2) the cost absorption from utilizing the same Corvette platform over several generations, and 3) savings by focusing manufacturing and sales mostly to the US only and not on global markets and China, their sales and pricing can behave very differently from all other sports cars. Literally every other foreign sports car competes with the Corvette and like Lotus chooses not to directly compete in the same price point. And they do just fine. Some people just don't want a Corvette or are willing to pay a premium for foreign brands or something.

Expecting Corvette competition is worse than expecting a foreign manufacturer to compete with the Mustang and Camaro in performance to price.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
2. Remember that the price of a nice Esprit about 25 years ago was around $86,000. So this is inflation?
I dont think the parallel is good. The Esprit was for a different customer segment. ( Different league )

Look at how it was a niche product when you think they have build 10 675 Esprit in all time while they want to sell 4 800 Emira per year.
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
Disagree here. The Esprit was a poor man's Ferrari or the British alternative. I always looked at my Evora in the same light, even though it seems to draw more comparos to Caymans. It certainly has all that and more performance than an Esprit, as it should.

·
Registered
479 Posts
And Emira takes after 458 through 488/F8 Tributo styling which other carmakers took cues from (McLaren). Subtle curves pulled taught over sharp edges. This styling trickled down into everyday consumer cars of the 2010s as a generation of design language which is now coming to an end with Emira marking it as a bookend (like Evora marked 2000s styling as a bookend). Next generation of styling could take cues from the new Ferraris (SF90 Stradale and 296GTB) or the Audi/Porsche EVs.

Reactions: vcappp

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
Emira will give any current Ferrari a serious run for its money in the style dept. I guarantee more than ever, it gets mistaken.

Reactions: switchlanez
81 - 100 of 288 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.