The Lotus Cars Community banner
101 - 120 of 288 Posts

·
Banned
507 Posts
IMO, I believe the price of $93k would be totally and absolutely justified if the EMIRA had 500hp. PERIOD.

The Emira is lacking in performance for the asking price IMO.

To me, it is stuck at a point below the C8 base model in performance and especially lacking if the C8 Z06 is also around $94k which most definitely it will be.

I think (IMO) lotus made a mistake not getting V6 output to at least 450hp min at Launch.

EMIRA’s 0-60 in less than 4.3 is corvette 6th generation numbers. The 2005 C6 weighed around the same as the EMIRA was the same length and also had 400hp on launch. That was 2005 or 15 years ago.

Ferrari, Lambo, Nissan GTR, Corvette know that each platform should have MORE power PLUS refinement.

Manufactures that have not added performance to new platforms lose sales. Example today Supra. EVEN viper 5th generation could not move cars off the lot with only 40more hp from previous 4th gen. Not many were enticed.

This “for the drivers” motto is only a meme with the performance and numbers the EMIRA will produce.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
599 Posts
If you have the budget for a $140k+ car, why were you looking at the Emira in the first place?
Because it's sexy and unique! Outside of supercars you can't find this kind of design. I was looking at buying a $270k car, but after seeing the Emira I put a pause on that purchase thinking Lotus wouldn't just look special but would be more special than the predecessor. I did not expect a detuned engine and much worse performance specs than before. At least match it.

Anyway, point is just that being able to afford a car is one thing, justifying/loving it is another.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Because it's sexy and unique! Outside of supercars you can't find this kind of design. I was looking at buying a $270k car, but after seeing the Emira I put a pause on that purchase thinking Lotus wouldn't just look special but would be more special than the predecessor. I did not expect a detuned engine and much worse performance specs than before. At least match it.

Anyway, point is just that being able to afford a car is one thing, justifying/loving it is another.
I’m cross shopping a lot of cars in a lot of price ranges. What are you considering for $270k?

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
599 Posts
I’m cross shopping a lot of cars in a lot of price ranges. What are you considering for $270k?
I considered many cars, but was ready to pull the trigger on a Huracan EVO RWD. There's not much else out there which tickled my fancy and to be honest, I was doing it more because I could rather than because I was in-love. You know, like getting married to a chick because you're out of other options ;)

Then the Emira came along and I got that tingly sensation - love-at-first-sight... or so I thought. Waiting for official word from Lotus to see if it truly is love or if I gotta get back on Tinder (or whatever app the kids are using these days ;))

Just curious, what are you considering and what are your reasons?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I find that the Emira is no longer worth its price point, imo. At the price I'd rather go 911 GTS.
I plan to buy Emira because the look is too good and the steering wheel is still hydraulic, not electonic. I agree that the performance figure and the price point are not that great.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is precisely the point. The Emira offers something that nothing else does under $100k.

American cars never had to compete in the lithe and agility department because the manufacturers, Chevy and Ford in particular, always had gobs of power available and cheap gas to fuel it. Need more performance? Just increase the displacement of those small block V8s, doesn't matter if they only get 12 mpg because gas in the U.S. is 30 cents a gallon. At that time, post-war Europe was still working on recovering from the effects of WW2, so they didn't have big engines, and gas was a LOT more expensive over there. For them, the way to improve performance was through chassis development, lightness, higher revving small displacement engines, and 5 speed transmissions to make up for lack of power and torque with gearing. Necessity was the driver of their invention. In America, cars were big, heavy, and had 3 speed transmissions because that was all they needed. The V8 was their savior for performance. Lots of low rpm torque and power.

In recent years American manufacturers have improved the handling quotient dramatically; especially Chevy. The Camaro ZL1 1LE is the finest sports GT America has ever produced. It's no longer just a muscle car. The C8 shows Chevy's prowess in taking that tried and true formula to a mid-engine car. For bang for the buck, you really can't beat either one of those cars. They're raw, brash, powerful. They're also somewhat heavy, especially optioned-out.

The Emira is a completely different animal. It's not going to be as fast in a straight line as the Chevy's. Not going to have the same torque or grunt off the line. Once you get going however, you'll quickly see the difference between a rodeo bronco rider, and a thoroughbred equestrian. Not as loud, not as dramatic, refined, elegant, precise, smooth. It's just a higher order of automotive performance, taking into account more than raw power. That's why the Emira costs what it does. If that's what you're interested in, the Emira is a bargain. If not, it's too expensive compared to other cars.
Refined verses raw, finess versus force. Lotus

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
To me this is starting to sound somewhat like watches; do you want a watch because it looks good and tells time, or because it costs a lot and you want to impress people with that fact?

How much power do you need on the street? Lotus' were never max power competitors. There were always other cars that were faster and had more power, especially the Corvettes.

The Emira has that magic feel to it when you look at it, and it's going to have that magic feel when you drive it. A mid-engine Lotus with hydraulic steering and a manual trans; in 2022. Think about that. Honestly for those of you who are on the fence, or are convinced that more power in other cars is going to be a better driving/owner experience, either buy those other cars or wait until you can drive an Emira. If as some of you are indicating money is not the issue, then get the Emira. Either it will charm you or it won't. If it does, you have one. If it doesn't, you're not going to have any problem selling it as the waiting list is already backed up to 2023 and heading towards 2024.

You can be sure the reviewers are going to talk about the numbers, because they have to. That's their job. However I won't be surprised if they say "nevertheless", and start talking about the driving experience. Power and performance are going to depend on how Lotus has tuned the power curve, and whether or not they've done anything different with the gearing compared to previous models. We won't know until production cars are available to test. The FE is going to be a gorgeous and charming daily driver. You're going to be a rockstar everywhere you go. If that expensive 911 and an Emira pull into a parking lot together, guess which car people are going to walk over to look at.

There's more to motoring enjoyment than just horsepower. If that's more important to you than anything else, get something else, but don't bad-mouth Lotus because you thought it was going to be something that no Lotus has ever been. The Emira is a Lotus; not a Corvette or a Porsche. A Corvette is a loud beer-drinking brawler; a Porsche is a cold machine; a Lotus is an exotic flower.

I can't wait to get mine.

·
Banned
507 Posts
To me this is starting to sound somewhat like watches; do you want a watch because it looks good and tells time, or because it costs a lot and you want to impress people with that fact?

How much power do you need on the street? Lotus' were never max power competitors. There were always other cars that were faster and had more power, especially the Corvettes.

The Emira has that magic feel to it when you look at it, and it's going to have that magic feel when you drive it. A mid-engine Lotus with hydraulic steering and a manual trans; in 2022. Think about that. Honestly for those of you who are on the fence, or are convinced that more power in other cars is going to be a better driving/owner experience, either buy those other cars or wait until you can drive an Emira. If as some of you are indicating money is not the issue, then get the Emira. Either it will charm you or it won't. If it does, you have one. If it doesn't, you're not going to have any problem selling it as the waiting list is already backed up to 2023 and heading towards 2024.

You can be sure the reviewers are going to talk about the numbers, because they have to. That's their job. However I won't be surprised if they say "nevertheless", and start talking about the driving experience. Power and performance are going to depend on how Lotus has tuned the power curve, and whether or not they've done anything different with the gearing compared to previous models. We won't know until production cars are available to test. The FE is going to be a gorgeous and charming daily driver. You're going to be a rockstar everywhere you go. If that expensive 911 and an Emira pull into a parking lot together, guess which car people are going to walk over to look at.

There's more to motoring enjoyment than just horsepower. If that's more important to you than anything else, get something else, but don't bad-mouth Lotus because you thought it was going to be something that no Lotus has ever been. The Emira is a Lotus; not a Corvette or a Porsche. A Corvette is a loud beer-drinking brawler; a Porsche is a cold machine; a Lotus is an exotic flower.

I can't wait to get mine.
Your argument carries weight. But $93K to look at everyone else's tail lights from lagging behind as everyone opens up on the highway driving away from a car and coffee ?

$75k for a detuned 360hp I-4 ? ... when we all know the I-4 is good for 415hp documented ? Really ?? how about "power... for the Drivers" ? give me a break.

400hp is great for a "poser". Sure the EMIRA is stunning......while PARKED.

Again, this is one of the rare cases where a new manufacturer platform actually has LESS power than the previous ( Evora) . SHAMEFULL.

The Emira I-4 should have had 415hp at Launch for $75K
The Emira V6 should have had 450-475 at Launch for $85k base

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Emira has unmatched kick-butt looks, nothing's like it at the price point in this regard. It'll have amazing handling, and great communication with the driver. The latter is something you have to experience to appreciate, it doesn't show up in numbers. The Emira will have a manual for those who want it. And, it'll be (and likely, stay) relatively exotic.

And all that said, at this time Lotus appears to ALSO be treating "the driver" poorly regarding the motors, for no other major reason than a marketing gameplan. The baseline I4 engine is already here in the US with California ARB & US Federal emissions approvals at 382hp, and the engine isn't sold (or has ever been sold) anywhere in the world with less power than that, right? Only Lotus can "tune" this "special" version to produce 22hp less (360hp). In comparison the prior gen A45S engine back in 2015 put out 380hp. And a 2 year old Merc A45S people-mover comes with a 421hp version of this engine. Lotus's 360hp spec is inexcusable. As for the V6, they're apparently reducing both power and redline vs. the standard ol' Evora engine, putting aside that there were already 430hp specs produced by Lotus as well. But to be fair, for the V6 it probably won't be noticeable by the driver, it's just more the little slap in the face re: going backwards vs. advancing things.

So, these concepts are not mutually exclusive, you see? The Emira provides several things you aren't going to find in the same package elsewhere (reason enough for many to buy it), yet Lotus is also treating us poorly re: the engine. When it finally arrives here almost a year from now, the engine specs aren't "For the Drivers" but "For the Lotus Marketing Dept's long term product/sales road map."

I'm buying the Emira, can't wait to get one for all the positive reasons we know. Doesn't mean I don't feel disappointed, a little demoralized and let down by Lotus in the engine department if they detune the baseline M139 I4 by 22hp though. It's already enough of a compromise to have to deal with a turbocharger in the sound and response department. I am still holding out hope until the US spec is truly finalized though. Heck, haven't even seen a picture yet showing what the car looks like with reflectors, remember those?

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
exactly.... But the title of the thread is " Anyone else feel like EMIRA pricing is okay, but not great? "

IF the title of the thread was.... "Don't post here if you like EMIRA pricing", then I would not post.
You are framing ‘performance’ solely in the context of posted horsepower. A remarkably narrow perspective.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
644 Posts
So Lotus should open the Toyota V6 up and modify the internals to make 500hp and then sell it cheaper than the Evora? Because hand building engines will reduce the price on Lotus's first car built by robots...

People have to stop comparing this to the C8. The Emira is not a C8. A low volume company cant built cars as cheaply as one thr biggest car companies in the world. The C8 is already an outlier on performance for dollar, it is not easy to do. 400hp is plenty for this chassis and for the street. If you can't have fun with 400hp with this chassis you are just some highway pull bro poser and should get a C8.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The below points is why the Lotus Emira has a pricing problem. Lotus nailed the looks.
  • Add a few options your over 100k
  • New Z06 will have a lower MSRP which is a Extreme performance sports car
  • New Z51 C8 has a much lower MSRP & better performance
  • Porsche GT4 will hold its value better with better dealer network & following
  • Dealer Network (Not Good) matters many don’t want to sacrifice
  • Power Matters to most buyers of sports cars
  • Toyota Camry motor is a negative when attracting new audience. I loved mine in my Evora but I had to explain it to non Lotus enthusiast.
  • I would have launched the Emira with the AMG motor tweaked to 425ish HP. This would have helped bringing in new buyers.
I love the looks of the Emira, I think Lotus shot their self in the foot when they said that the starting price will be in the 60’s.. I am still getting one with a manual transmission.

101 - 120 of 288 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.