The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I bought this car 2 weeks ago, it has had an incredibly bad windshield glare. I tried windex and glass cleaner and it did nothing. I can wipe it off for a bit with a towel or shirt but it comes right back after a bit. It's like the PO cleaned it with something bad or something. It is really hard to see when people are coming at me with their headlights on. Here are a couple pics I took tonight. In the first pic if you look right above the other cars headlights you can see where I wiped it with my finger. In the second pic look where the street light is.

Defroster does nothing for it. Ideas or maybe someone can recommend a really good glass cleaner? It's slowly getting to where it's almost unsafe.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
If the previous owner used Armourall, then vineger will cut the silicon based haze. It will take weeks of wiping it down every couple days to eliminate it. If armourall is applied to the dash and then get heated by the sun, it outgasses and puts a fine oily silicone haze on the inside of the windshield, dreadful.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Your issue may be off gassing on the interior.

I'm a clean windshield freak. Staring at dirty glass while I drive just drives me nuts. OCD that way.

For exterior, I am in LOVE with SmartOne Waterless Wash/Wax. You spray it on, wipe it and let it haze. Then use a microfiber and buff it. CRYSTAL clear. Amazon sells the spray for like $12 an it will last 8 months.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
The quickest fix I have ever found for that is using a claybar and rubbing it down with detail spray as a lube.

Works like a charm and is cheap.

I have extra if you don't - remind me Sat with a text and I'll bring it to the drive.

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm going to clay it tonight, and then add rain-x interior anti fog as an extra precation. Shall post results.

I guess I probably should have searched this issue.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Don't do the rain-x. It's basically wax, and will cause the same kind of hazing.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The claybar on the INTERIOR sounds like a good idea... wouldn't have thought of that!

Once you figure out what your issue is (offgassing, and possible armorall) I think I recently saw a thread on lotustalk discussing sealing the dash with 303 Aerospace, or a similar product.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
If you use rain-x you have to polish it a lot.

I use the rain-x spray cleaner. Great stuff, but you need to polish it like crazy once the windshield is clean or you get swirl marks when driving into strong light.

The stuff works great in the rain, and makes bugs easy to clean off.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The gassing issue went away ever since i tinted my windscreen. Just do a very light tint film so the Police will not bother you.

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The gassing issue went away ever since i tinted my windscreen. Just do a very light tint film so the Police will not bother you.
I may also be attempting this. Waiting to see what plackslayer wants to do :sheep:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
it's the dash board. You can also replace your dash with a carbon fiber dash and the problem goes away completely, and for good! I bought one of the TWRD carbon dashes (cheaper than the factory Exige S260 option) and i wash my interior windshield about every 6 months. In hot weather i used to have to clean it almost every day... drove me friggin' nuts!

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know we need to do it...you said you were checking with someone! No one up here will do it, so I guess we must go to plano.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have the dash materials been the same throughout production, or is this something that affects certain model years more than others?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Dragster,
Most affected are the ones which have been treated (usually by the end user) with gassy products like Armorall; Hotter climates make the situation worse too (higher temps, more outgassing which condenses on the windshield). There are two factors involved.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Although it would be nice to attribute it to a detailing product since that would be a simple solution, I think it's something inherent to the car. I've never had this problem with 10+ previous vehicle regardless of what I've used on the dash. With the Elise, I get the haze after a few days of it sitting in the sun. I have towels and window cleaner on my passenger floorboard for this reason.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Wipe your dash down with denatured alcohol to get all the Armor all and any other silicone product off. Then clean your window with vinegar and newspaper. It's out gassing. A lot of newer cars do it. It's caused by silicone and petroleum products used to preserve the plastic basically evaporating.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts