The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like AT&T has decided to reduce data speeds for their unlimited data users that exceed 3 gigabytes during there billing cycle.:mad:
I tend to use 5 gigabytes, so when I got an AT&T text message Sunday telling me to "switch to wifi" I was not amused. Calling them was a complete waste of time. According to Desiree Hohenstein in legal, "Your plan is unlimited to a point, 3 gigabytes" I NEVER LAUGHED SO HARD IN MY LIFE! So it looks like I'll be joining the vast number of subscribers that have begun taking AT&T to small claims court. Clearly this is a bullying tactic aimed at forcing unlimited data users to switch (and pay more) for one of their tiered packages, screw that. Anyone else here in the same boat or been down that road? Thanks in advance, james

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Sprint-- home of truly unlimited data! Data coverage isn't as good as Verizon but it's only 80/month for unlimited everything.

·
Registered
380 Posts
They're all a rip off if you ask me. Just settle with the one with the least headaches and throw 'loyalty' out of the window.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I had ATT on a re-flashed 8525 phone. The billing system for ATT was sloppy, as long as their limit was not exceeded in a single city it never engaged.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
They're all a rip off if you ask me. Just settle with the one with the least headaches and throw 'loyalty' out of the window.
Yup.. I friggin' hate telecom companies. The marketing plans are just lame. And for some reason, no other industry has worse customer service.. Verizon's is particularly bad. In fact their customer service is amazingly bad. For such a massive corporation, you'd think they'd spend a little bit of money hiring people with some form of intelligence. Calling them stupid would be an insult to stupid people. Honestly I would much prefer a monkey answer their service calls....at least then I'd just hang up and not waste an hour of my day with an complete retard.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just finished getting a few hundred dollars off of my credit report... evidently att decided to keep billing me on my old plan associated with my old address and not inform me but rather inform a collection service. after a week of battling representatives on all four corners of the globe and digging up old bills i got them to revers there bogus accusation. I think it is time to switch to a different ISP.

AJ

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
To be honest I like Virgin Mobile... No contract and from all my experience very good customer service...

I think it is Virgin Mobile's influence that has forced AT&T and Sprint et.al to change their policies.

A vote for Virgin Mobile is a vote against those working overtime to screw you with their fine print.

Here is my vignette with Sprint years ago. I had an international plan and then moved. When my service moved they failed to re-apply my international plan and I got hit with a $1200. bill one month. One call was over $100. USD.

I called immediatly and got the song and dance with in the end they were "willing to drop 20%" I had been with them for years ! When I produced the email that showed their mistake they immediatly reversed course. I dropped them immediatly and paid the $150. termination fee to do so. I have never looked back. Cable companies do same sort of BS. Inserting ( flying a kite ) specious fees.

My Grandmother had Comcast and was paying over $200. a month for basic cable. After finding out what basic service would be I called them and they immediatly changed course. They get away with what we let them. True for all in influential positions. Our only vote is our wallets.

Also with the FED forcing everyone back into equities due to low interest rates, we can expect another blood letting in next x months. If your on a fixed income I would probablly think twice before gambling in equities anytime soon. oh well. sorry for rant. I think greed is healthy to a point, our culture is so beyond that point:no:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yea they all suck. FWIW I HATE my sprint plan, although if you live in an area with 4g it may be fine.

Sure its "unlimited" but by me it is so slow you couldn't hit 5 gigs if you were on it 24/7 anyways. IMHO:
Verizon > US Cell > AT&T > Sprint. At least in the southern WI area.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
I have an iphone on ATT. No trouble. I do a fair bit of data on the grandfathered unlimited plan. No sign of slowdowns, but I really don't know how much I use.

I had some bogus 10-dollar charge for by some 3rd party. ATT took it off with no problem.

I have had them turn off my text so I don't get spam texts. If people can't send me an email or call me on the phone, forget 'em.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Another vote for Anything > Sprint. I moved to Verizon, with 4gb limit, I pay right at $100 with all taxes, fees, etc.

Virgin Mobile was a great 'cheap' alternative I used for awhile, but the QoS was quite annoying. The other comments are right, right now in the US, they're all rip-offs.

Sprint's coverage was just plain awful, and with data speeds at around 1 down on WiMAX, it was a joke. You literally have to be RIGHT next to an antenna to gain much benefit - and if you're in a well shielded house/building, forget about it. I'll pay $20 to add a few years to my life from not swearing at my mobile.

LTE is incredible. But I live off WiFi, so I'm rarely over 1gb.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
You guys who think they're ripping you off in the US should check out Canadian plans some time. I roamed on Verizon in Canada for 4 years rather than open a Canadian plan it was so bad.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I just finished my first month using AT&T's 'Hot Spot' antenna which plugs into the USB on my home computer. What a difference in speed not having to use dial-up anymore.

They wanted to enroll me into a two year contract which I did not want so I purchased the unit out right, a little more money but if I want out of the service I'm not paying a $375. penalty.

The plan is for 5 gig's a month on a 4G network, $50. a month, $10. a gig if you go over. The program has a moniter so I can see how much room is left however I found out it takes 12 hours for your usage to be reported to your moniter.

Regular internet surfing does'nt eat up much but videos do especially if you download movies. I don't do movies but I enjoy you tube Lotus videos... that can take a bite out your five gig's quick.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I too got grandfathered in on ATTs unlimited data...last month was the first time they throttled me back and it pissed me off. My speed was so slow my phone was virtually useless..and on the congested networks out here, it already gets irritating

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I too got grandfathered in on ATTs unlimited data...last month was the first time they throttled me back and it pissed me off. My speed was so slow my phone was virtually useless..and on the congested networks out here, it already gets irritating
That's exactly where I'm at, I went from "everything's great, I love my service", to, "g*dd*mn m*ther f*cking p*ece of sh*t phone company..." all in one day.
How is this even legal?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
That's exactly where I'm at, I went from "everything's great, I love my service", to, "g*dd*mn m*ther f*cking p*ece of sh*t phone company..." all in one day.
How is this even legal?
It's not legal. But they are all realizing they sold people something they couldn't afford to with the unlimited plans.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
According to Desiree Hohenstein in legal, "Your plan is unlimited to a point, 3 gigabytes"
You know what.. I would LOVE to get an audio clip of someone from AT&T saying this..

I guarantee it would start a media shiitstorm and all the lawyers of the world would be pulling up their pants and scrambling to represent the class action suit to follow...

Wouldn't that be something!

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
You know what.. I would LOVE to get an audio clip of someone from AT&T saying this..

I guarantee it would start a media shiitstorm and all the lawyers of the world would be pulling up their pants and scrambling to represent the class action suit to follow...

Wouldn't that be something!
Nope. This has all been known and joked about in the tech press for years now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts