The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some would remember, recently sold my 07' Exige S220... Great car, should have never sold it... debated getting into another and found a few but decided to spend a little more and get something new and ordered a new Ariel Atom 3 (320) with the K24 w/ SC.. Delivery is november and before getting behind the wheel.. curious if anyone else has done this and their thoughts.

i've heard it's more finicky than the Exige by some and others say the opposite... curious the thoughts across the board.

-Riley

After the Exige I bought a new 991 Chassis Carrera which is great, but trading it for a GTR tomorrow to have a little more fun prior to Atom Arrival.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Rijowysock

U responded to my email at the atom forum. What a coincident.... I just bought an Atom3 300, and a buddy of mine is buying my Exige S. Re: the Sc for the K24, Mark Swain told me last week the SC should be ready in a little less than 6 months. Congrats on the Atom, and seems that we r going thru the same path.

GTED

QUOTE=rijowysock;1776568]as some would remember, recently sold my 07' Exige S220... Great car, should have never sold it... debated getting into another and found a few but decided to spend a little more and get something new and ordered a new Ariel Atom 3 (320) with the K24 w/ SC.. Delivery is november and before getting behind the wheel.. curious if anyone else has done this and their thoughts.

i've heard it's more finicky than the Exige by some and others say the opposite... curious the thoughts across the board.

-Riley

After the Exige I bought a new 991 Chassis Carrera which is great, but trading it for a GTR tomorrow to have a little more fun prior to Atom Arrival.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Be advised:
The K24 they're putting into Atoms these days is NOT one of the high performance K-series engines. In fact there are NO high performance Honda K-series engines being built any longer. Best engine they've ever built, and now they're putting it out to pasture. Pure stupidity...

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Contact docjay, he's had both

·
Registered
944 Posts
Contact docjay, he's had both
Tis true---had a track prepped Elise then went to Cup car and then to a Spec Atom.
I have mixed feelings about the car itself.
Mark Swain and all the guys at TMI are exactly how a company should be. Absolutely fantastic to deal with!
We all got our cars delivered all on the same day at VIR---I had never driven an Atom and now I had 70 mins of practice before 20 of us went wheel to wheel!
I never took time to actually work on the Atom's set up. I think once you dial it in it will be great. I simply missed the predictability of the Lotus. I was faster in my Cup car than the 200hp Spec Atom despite the Atom being a faster car.
Honestly I did not give the car much of a chance---I am a die hard Lotus boy so that may be why.
My 2- eleven is considerably more fun to drive and more stable....and still open cock pit.

My suggestion is take it very very easy at first with the Atom. I have had literally 8 good friends wreck Atoms----two have been totaled. Get used to spinning as they snap out on you.

I really enjoined my 8 Spec Atom races last year. Great group of guys and I was one of the inaugural 10 folks so my entire car raced prepped was only $32,000 Including the $2500 membership fee to VIR!
What a deal---I sold the car after racing the entire year for $36,000:)
It was like I got paid to do it.....

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
I heard that the K24 is more "civilized" and more friendly. I think it is up to personal preference. For me, I opted for the K20A for the high revving type-R attributes.

Be advised:
The K24 they're putting into Atoms these days is NOT one of the high performance K-series engines. In fact there are NO high performance Honda K-series engines being built any longer. Best engine they've ever built, and now they're putting it out to pasture. Pure stupidity...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Be advised:
im well aware the k24z7 and the SAR k20z3 are not "balls deep" engines.. like the k20a.. BUT the k24z7 is perfect for what i want, and will only be better with the SC... but maybe a little too torque'y if thats a thing. (might need 245 rears but that means going to R888)

honda doesnt have any more k20a, tmi bought em all.. so it's a moot point imo..

k20a was great engine, also as good as f20.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tis true---had a track prepped Elise then went to Cup car and then to a Spec Atom.
I have mixed feelings about the car itself.
Mark Swain and all the guys at TMI are exactly how a company should be. Absolutely fantastic to deal with!
We all got our cars delivered all on the same day at VIR---I had never driven an Atom and now I had 70 mins of practice before 20 of us went wheel to wheel!
I never took time to actually work on the Atom's set up. I think once you dial it in it will be great. I simply missed the predictability of the Lotus. I was faster in my Cup car than the 200hp Spec Atom despite the Atom being a faster car.
Honestly I did not give the car much of a chance---I am a die hard Lotus boy so that may be why.
My 2- eleven is considerably more fun to drive and more stable....and still open cock pit.

My suggestion is take it very very easy at first with the Atom. I have had literally 8 good friends wreck Atoms----two have been totaled. Get used to spinning as they snap out on you.

I really enjoined my 8 Spec Atom races last year. Great group of guys and I was one of the inaugural 10 folks so my entire car raced prepped was only $32,000 Including the $2500 membership fee to VIR!
What a deal---I sold the car after racing the entire year for $36,000:)
It was like I got paid to do it.....

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

considering its an SAR i cant really ask how it was off the track, but i can understand what you mean about it being snappy.... i assume your friends totalled em on the track?

i assume on the street as long as not pushing it too hard it can be just as stable? im getting mine sans SC at first to get used to it and then adding SC when it's available 3 months later so i can properly get used to the power... i think that will make for a good learning curve.

32k is insanE! mine is a little over double that :-/

i assume the SRA is more "snappy" also because of your hoosiers? street tires should be a little more forgiving?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard that the K24 is more "civilized" and more friendly. I think it is up to personal preference. For me, I opted for the K20A for the high revving type-R attributes.
my 991 has a higher revving engine and it's fun but i honestly have grown tired of the high revving k20/f20/etc... just means for less fun down low and downshifts for fun... the best feeling for me is a lazy day in 6th when i can still pass someone on the highway.. my 991 i have to drop to 3rd to get up and take off.. my exige would just take off and love every second of it.

clearly tons of diff drivers out there. k24 is for me.. k20 is for you... some people even like the (ecotec) engines... OMGNOOO

·
Registered
132 Posts
You guys are all talking about bone-stock Honda engines, right?
If that's the case then none of you have a clue what a K20 or K24 is really capable of when its built properly. I imported the very first JDM K20A Type R engine into the USA back in '01 (engine #39) and installed it into my S1 Exige. Then I designed the first intercooled M62 S/C setup for it, and later did the same thing using an M90 S/C, but using a 9,100 rpm 2,308cc "K23" I built. Over the past 11 years I've been involved in every major performance development of the K-series engine family, including the ECU that's in all of your cars. Set a whole bunch of Bonneville records as well class wins in the 25 at Thunderhill. So I have intimate knowledge of this engine that Simon at Ariel, Mark at TMI, and you collectively can't even imagine.
So if the time comes that you get tired or bored with the weenie HP and Torque your stock engines are making just give me a shout. There is so much more of both to be had, and with far better reliability.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Joe, I've just added you to my Contact!!

GTED

If that's the case then none of you have a clue what a K20 or K24 is really capable of when its built properly. I imported the very first JDM K20A Type R engine into the USA back in '01 (engine #39) and installed it into my S1 Exige. Then I designed the first intercooled M62 S/C setup for it, and later did the same thing using an M90 S/C, but using a 9,100 rpm 2,308cc "K23" I built. Over the past 11 years I've been involved in every major performance development of the K-series engine family, including the ECU that's in all of your cars. Set a whole bunch of Bonneville records as well class wins in the 25 at Thunderhill. So I have intimate knowledge of this engine that Simon at Ariel, Mark at TMI, and you collectively can't even imagine.
So if the time comes that you get tired or bored with the weenie HP and Torque your stock engines are making just give me a shout. There is so much more of both to be had, and with far better reliability.

·
Registered
944 Posts
considering its an SAR i cant really ask how it was off the track, but i can understand what you mean about it being snappy.... i assume your friends totalled em on the track?

i assume on the street as long as not pushing it too hard it can be just as stable? im getting mine sans SC at first to get used to it and then adding SC when it's available 3 months later so i can properly get used to the power... i think that will make for a good learning curve.

32k is insanE! mine is a little over double that :-/

i assume the SRA is more "snappy" also because of your hoosiers? street tires should be a little more forgiving?
True about the R6s
For track use I would use the A6s as they would be perfect.
They stuck with R6s for series for longevity and cost effectiveness

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hey Joe :) where in Torrance are you at? I would love to check out your S1 if you still have it

·
Registered
765 Posts
I bought my Exige after the Atom. The original "plan" rotfl back in 2004 was to buy a Lotus, but I went with the Atom when it was first introduced in the US instead. I bought my Exige last year when I found a deal I couldn't walk away from. So now I have both. :clap:

The Atom is more extreme than the Lotus in every way, but the Lotus is more civilized. I love them both.

·
Registered
583 Posts

LOL --- Modest as ever!

shame Honda have not put you out to pasture.....

·
Registered
650 Posts
I would love to have the Atom or better both but every time i look at the Atom I can't help thinking I could build one and the price always seems so high for the parts used to build? I totally understand much engineering was needed to drive price up but I've just have a hard time with what else I could buy in the same price range as a Atom or what I could build.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I would love to have the Atom or better both but every time i look at the Atom I can't help thinking I could build one and the price always seems so high for the parts used to build? I totally understand much engineering was needed to drive price up but I've just have a hard time with what else I could buy in the same price range as a Atom or what I could build.
That's a typical response we get at the Atom forum from DIY types who don't appreciate the car for what it is. There really is more to the Atom than these people give it credit for. A few awful attempts to copy the Atom have cropped up since from the overconfident DIY'er...you'll see one of these abortions up on eBay every once and awhile.

This kind of thinking, to me, would be like a mechanic with fiberglass and sheetmetal experience stating he could build a Lotus from scratch....suuuure you can.

·
Registered
650 Posts
That's a typical response we get at the Atom forum from DIY types who don't appreciate the car for what it is. There really is more to the Atom than these people give it credit for. A few awful attempts to copy the Atom have cropped up since from the overconfident DIY'er...you'll see one of these abortions up on eBay every once and awhile.

This kind of thinking, to me, would be like a mechanic with fiberglass and sheetmetal experience stating he could build a Lotus from scratch....suuuure you can.
Sorry I do agree with you, I get it and would love to have Atom its just a harder one to explain to non car people and my wife. The Lotus is hard enough to explain to the wife...... If I pulled a Atom in my driveway (wish I could) my wife and other non car people would say you paid what! For That! Are you crazy!

Believe me I have thought of getting a Atom a few times and came close before I got my Lotus. but for me I think I would be looking next at a pretty good used open wheel formula race car as i only would use on track days anyways. If I took a Atom to open track days I would likely be put in with the open wheel race cars anyways. But if I had the money for a few cars a Atom is on the list for sure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts