The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey BRG, here's a helpful suggestion from a Lotus-owning customer: vend, and if you can't, tell your customerswhy not.

If you list a "kit" on your site, maybe it would be a good idea to have one in stock. If you don't have one in stock, and it's really just a bunch of parts numbers any dealer could also order, maybe it would be a beter idea to tell the customer so.

And getting all turtle when a month later, and after several unanswered messages, the customer starts to wonder when over $1,000 worth of parts may arrive is not a real good business practice.

Just sayin'....

Is it just me or has this been an ongoing thing for others?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i read a thread where a number of people have been having problems, and the head guy at BRG (Robert?) posted in the thread apologizing for the situation. He got the order guy a cell phone (finally? - what year is it???) and has spoken with him?
So it's all better now.
Is that working for you? Incompetence pisses me off too brother. You can get parts lots of places, vote with your dollars. I have been a respected Ebay vendor for years (not Lotus parts), I ship the same freakin' day if at all possible, I underpromise & over perform. That's how it's done - WITH COMMUNICATION!!!!! LOTS OF COMMUNICATION!!!! Without it, you are nothing, just a bad joke people write threads about.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Thanks for starting the thread.

Yes there has been communication issues which I'm becoming aware of. While I can't control parts availability, I can control the way we handle it and I'm seeing a pattern where individuals are not being communicated with when there are delays.

While not an excuse, it has become difficult when people say they can't get a hold of us but never leave a message when they get voicemail. I'm going back through my records as I have a automated tracking system of all incoming calls, messages, etc and I can reference outgoing records to know when there has been a response. What I do see is when we can't get to the phone, often people don't leave messages which makes it impossible for us to respond. Again, this isn't an excuse if there's a delay but it doesn't assist us in answering questions.

Andy,

I encourage you to PM, email me ([email protected]) or call me directly at (215) 915-9109 and I'll get to the bottom of your issue.

If I personally am not responding to anyone, I'd like them to speak up. If someone on my staff is not getting back to you, I need you to contact me immediately and tell me when and how you tried to contact us and if you left a message if we weren't able to pick up a phone call.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
FWIW, Robet has pretty much dedicated his life to the Lotus community. (Almost literally, but luckily he survived his Elise accident).

As a consumer, I know it is frustrating as h*ll to not get timely service. As a manufacturer, I know that often times parts availability depends on a chain of events that start with multiple suppliers, logistics, and finally packing and shipping. It is tough to always be on time, when so much of the process is out of the manufacturers control.

Keep in mind that the Lotus aftermarket manufacturers and re-sellers are a cottage industry: not a Best Buy well oiled machine.

I'm sure Robert will do whatever he can to improve his normally excellent service. Anyone who has met him will agree that he is a genuine, enthusiastic supporter of the Lotus community and he never rests.

Full disclosure: BRG sells some RLS items, and Robert is one of my favorite Lotus characters.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
i read a thread where a number of people have been having problems, and the head guy at BRG (Robert?) posted in the thread apologizing for the situation. He got the order guy a cell phone (finally? - what year is it???) and has spoken with him?
So it's all better now.
Is that working for you? Incompetence pisses me off too brother. You can get parts lots of places, vote with your dollars. I have been a respected Ebay vendor for years (not Lotus parts), I ship the same freakin' day if at all possible, I underpromise & over perform. That's how it's done - WITH COMMUNICATION!!!!! LOTS OF COMMUNICATION!!!! Without it, you are nothing, just a bad joke people write threads about.
Thanks for this post as well.

While Sherman had a cell phone before, it had crappy reception and when he wasn't available in the office, the forwarded calls were not getting to him. After having him on staff for about 4 months, I saw this was causing a serious problem and I got him a better, upgraded phone which seems to have resolved the issue and also allows him to manage orders remotely. Perhaps that wasn't clear in the other thread.

As for us being a "bad joke", you're entitled to your opinion. I've personally been in this community for decades and built up a reputation which stands on it's own merit. You have the right to challenge that. I don't know you personally so please don't take this as an attack. It's not meant to be. You can take a shot at me for an issue which has arisen as of late regarding my company with some legitimacy as it is an issue we're working on. That said, It's pretty common knowledge who I am and I've always personally been very responsive. I'm not happy about the recent concerns which, as I mentioned above, are a result of a few issues, some of which are not internal.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I got a very polite message from Robert asking to get to the bottom of my particular issue, which I answered via PM. I hope and trust this will solve my issue.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
He will. I know it is mega frustrating when we spend significant money on products and you don't feel like you are being taken care of. People like Robert try to do everything and sometimes get spread a bit thin. In the end, he is nothing but an asset to our community.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
He will. I know it is mega frustrating when we spend significant money on products and you don't feel like you are being taken care of. People like Robert try to do everything and sometimes get spread a bit thin. In the end, he is nothing but an asset to our community.
I've had vendor problems in the past, not BRG, and it is extremely frustrating to not receive delivery and NOT receive any communications; just crickets...
now, I do have an order pending with BRG since mid June, but they (mainly Sherm, sometimes Robert) have always responded to my email asking "what the heck is going on?".
The things on order are non-critical items and as long as I get a response to my email, I'm cool. Communication and disclosure are KEY.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
that was my point. I am sure you are a most serious gentleman, dedicated competent individual, serious Lotus dude - but when it comes to business, any lack of communication is inexcusable. Doesn't mean there aren't valid reasons, but there is no excuse ever, for being out of touch with your customers. Not ever. Without exception. You say people are calling and not leaving messages? Well boo-hoo. Get on the phone all day and all night to find out what the heck their problem is.Sort of your responsibility too. That's how you do business, because business is relationships. Communication is not a hobby - it has to happen everyday - or the lack of it turns a topflight operation into mediocrity. Almost overnight. That was my only point. I don't know you either, but i personally handle every customer in my company. We don't have problems, because we have communication.
Without exception. Not an indightment of your character at all sir.
That said - hey - hopefully we all learn from our mistakes. I try and learn from mine.
PS - I actually think you need someone like me working for you.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
You say people are calling and not leaving messages? Well boo-hoo. Get on tghe phone all day and all night to find out what the heck there problem is
We start taking calls at around 8am (sometimes earlier) even though we don't open until 9. We continue taking calls until late evening way past our 5pm closing time.

The problem is not that we simply don't answer calls as would be inferred by your comment but people will at times call while we are on the line with another client or when we are closed (Sundays or late at night) and don't leave messages as to what they need or are inquiring about. While we strive to address all inquiries, it's impossible for us to know what someone wants if they don't communicate it. I will absolutely take responsibility, as I have above in this thread, for our issues but at some point, our customers need to be responsible as well. To bash us for not getting back to them but do so without ever leaving a message to communicate the need is not appropriate.

I personally have been trying to address anyone who has expressed a concern. I encourage you to contact me if we haven't already spoken.

Sorry to be a jerk here but if you don't leave a message when you call and get voicemail, then you can't fault us for not knowing what you need.

Again, if your parts are delayed and we don't communicate that to you in a proactive manner, that's on us and I am discussing where the failure is as of late with my staff as I type this.

Please note that you can text us on our "215" lines so if you are getting voicemail and want a more immediate response to a parts question, for example, text the inquiry to (215) 915-9129

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
well i guess that didn't go over too well. We just approach customer service differently. When someone calls me on my cell phone, and doesn't leave a message, my phone will dial the number that called me at the push of a button. I call back that number and ask them who they are and why they called. It's just a "take no prisoners" attitude. It's war.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I know what you mean. EVERY SINGLE TIME I have ever tried to contact 'ole wallabyguy in any manner by any method... phone, PM, email, it doesn't matter... it's taken him like 5-10 minutes to get back to me... sheesh...

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I need to clarify - I am not attacking Robert - my business attitude is Philosophically rooted.
I'm not saying they don't get there a high percentage of the time - It really doesn't matter if they do. What matters, all that matters is the customer's perception of what they think BRG is willing to do for them. i'm just saying that Robert made it very clear that there are limits to what he is willing to do. It's certainly not smart to criticize your customers, blame them for not leaving messages. You want to grow a business - start blaming your customers. Oh ya - that will work.
The guy that started this thread was having problems. The guys in the other thread were having problems - and i KNOW Robert is working to fix that. I am just putting forth the idea that if he is limited on what he can physically accomplish with his staff, hours, length of the week, he will always have problems. Some people hire more folks, some don't. Some want to keep it small, that's fine. But if you are really on the phones all day, doesn't it make sense that you need more help, organization or something? I personally have NO PROBLEM with BRG. My anger is from a brilliant business that ends up being, well, not slandered in the group, but "vigorously criticized" for what appears as "not having their act together". Everyone's comments -the negative threads - reinforce the old expression "One "oh ****" wipes out 1,000 "atta boys". It's perception. The perception is the effective reality. I certainly hope BRG remains successful, it's the perception of their customers, fairly or unfairly, that determines their future. And Robert stating it's absurd to think of chasing every rabbit down every hole will not improve the perception. I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
As far as ordering from Lotus Garage, I have generally been happy. I do think they charge quite a bit for shipping, but its still cheaper then local (if your lucky enough to have a local option).

However my last purchase, I bought something I thought I lost and about 15 minutes after placing the order I found the part I was looking for. I tried calling Lotus Garage to cancel the order and I got no answer. I tried calling British Racing Group and they told me I would have to call Lotus Garage directly as they were a seperate operation. I called LG a couple hours later and again no answer. So I replied to the email they sent saying that the order was being processed. I explained I didn't need the part anymore and the next day I got an email saying the order was canceled. However they still went ahead and processed the order and I got it a week later. It was only $16 ($6 bolt, $10 shipping), so I didn't bother sending it back.

My complaint about the situation was that it felt like the operation was setup as a automated thing to make it easy, and that when something fell out of the expected operation its going to be difficult.

But other then that, all of my purchases from LG have been ok and I will purchase from them in the future.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
wallabyguy said:
or call me directly at (215) 915-9109
I think I have seen this posted so many times I have memorized the number just from seeing it repeatedly... and again no issues with communication here :shrug:.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I started this thread so I'll try to end it. I'm glad that people have had no trouble reaching Robert. It is good to have a resource for our cars. Robert's employee didn't bother to return several phone calls, with messages left, over the course of nearly a week. I appreciate that when I took the path to get a bit of action by posting here, Robert got on the ball and explained to me the issue, tracked the part and told me when to expect it-- which was all I was trying to get out of the employee. It sometimes sucks to be an employer-- I know-- and have people failure pointing back at you. So long as it's not systemic, all's good.

Andy

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, thread not ended yet.

Another week has gone by, and apparently my parts came in last Friday-- all $1,000 of them-- but I can't get an answer when they may be shipped all the way from Philly to Detroit.

This time, the employee can't be blamed, since Robert undertook to follow up himself. But he is not answering my calls either.

I get that this is a small outfit, but what I can't really get past is the misleading nature of the website and the careless follow-up with pre-paying customers. I can't think of a single reason why I'd order so much as a bolt from these folks instead of from my dealer.

This is a small enthusiast community and I want to see every one do well because it helps us all maintain and use our cars, so I am truly sorry to call out a sponsor. But comparing this experience to my semi-regular Sector 111 dealings-- where your order gets acknowledged and tracked, and they call you to clarify what you need-- is just too stark a difference.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Andy,

Still trying to sort this out and yes, it's all on me at this point. Sherman is no longer handling the parts department.

I'm trying to sort through the matter and I did send you a PM on Monday requesting some additional information. Please take a peak and get back to me so I can get this resolved.

Robert

Well, thread not ended yet.

Another week has gone by, and apparently my parts came in last Friday-- all $1,000 of them-- but I can't get an answer when they may be shipped all the way from Philly to Detroit.

This time, the employee can't be blamed, since Robert undertook to follow up himself. But he is not answering my calls either.

I get that this is a small outfit, but what I can't really get past is the misleading nature of the website and the careless follow-up with pre-paying customers. I can't think of a single reason why I'd order so much as a bolt from these folks instead of from my dealer.

This is a small enthusiast community and I want to see every one do well because it helps us all maintain and use our cars, so I am truly sorry to call out a sponsor. But comparing this experience to my semi-regular Sector 111 dealings-- where your order gets acknowledged and tracked, and they call you to clarify what you need-- is just too stark a difference.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts