The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just celebrated my third service anniversary with a company recently acquired by Jacobs Engineering.

I figured that now that I'm a member of a 53,000 person firm, there might be a chance someone else here works for the same company. :) Thought it would be neat to connect with someone else with the same car in the same company.

Jen
(usually) civil engineer

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have relatives and friends that work for Jacobs. Which division are you in? All of the folks I know work in the Aerospace division at the Clear Lake, TX location...near the NASA complex.

There's another Jacobs division out on I-10 west where some of my civil friends work. I'm mechanical.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in the...buildings and infrastructure division (I think). I design highways. Was with Carter & Burgess previously.

It's interesting how many folks here seem to be in engineering of some sort.

-Jen

·
Registered
317 Posts
My company provides security for some of their sites with DoD contacts. I know a few people who work for them and Jacobs seems like a decent place to work.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Jen,

I'm a CE as well (environmental), and work with them a lot. I work for a large insurance carrier providing fixed-price guarantee insurance for large civil and environmental projects. Jacobs is one of my prefered clients - as good an engineering firm as there is. I always said that if I were to go back to consulting, they're the first I would call. I just have a hard time with the billable hours game most engineering consulting firms play these days.

Good luck with the new firm. They're definitely well respected.

Ben

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Former co-worker of mine works for Jacobs at NASA/JSC in Clear Lake/Houston area. Hes been working there in the IT area for about a year now, and is quite happy there.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's good to hear nice things about them. When you're on the inside of an acquisition, it's kind of hard to know what to believe so this kind of feedback is nice. Thanks!

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
Hi Jen!

Oooo… a CE. … cool. So am I. I run my own company Zen Engineering. After purchasing my Lotus I decided that the Lotus would become our official company car. :) …and then after seeing your posting I started thinking that my first interview question for new hires should be “Do you own a Lotus?” :D … if you get tired of Jacobs let me know. ;)

Besides doing internal engineering projects we provide consulting and training services for other engineering firms and I have written a dozen CE books on using InRoads and InRoads Survey. I’ve done work for several C-B offices … Phoenix, Denver and St. George UT. And my book is in the Nevada, Utah and Arizona offices, among others probably. My book is also in a few Jacobs offices and I’ve worked with a few people from Jacobs Canada and Jacobs on the east coast (New Jersey).

Jacobs is a good company, but like any company in the engineering industry if you are personally really good you'll never have to worry about work. ...if you're not, then it's only a matter of time before the inevitable happens. I have companies always calling me looking for qualified engineers. ...there is a real shortage right now (and has been for a while).

Being in Florida (if you are doing Florida transportation work) you are probably exposed to GeoPAK instead of InRoads as your “Civil software”. Do you know either of these software packages? Are you using MicroStation?

I could go on, but I won’t since this is probably pushing the limits of a ‘Lotus’ discussion.

Here’s a pic of my “Zen Dude” company car.

- z

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Jen!

Oooo… a CE. … cool. So am I. I run my own company Zen Engineering. After purchasing my Lotus I decided that the Lotus would become our official company car. :) …and then after seeing your posting I started thinking that my first interview question for new hires should be “Do you own a Lotus?” :D … if you get tired of Jacobs let me know. ;)

Besides doing internal engineering projects we provide consulting and training services for other engineering firms and I have written a dozen CE books on using InRoads and InRoads Survey. I’ve done work for several C-B offices … Phoenix, Denver and St. George UT. And my book is in the Nevada, Utah and Arizona offices, among others probably. My book is also in a few Jacobs offices and I’ve worked with a few people from Jacobs Canada and Jacobs on the east coast (New Jersey).

Jacobs is a good company, but like any company in the engineering industry if you are personally really good you'll never have to worry about work. ...if you're not, then it's only a matter of time before the inevitable happens. I have companies always calling me looking for qualified engineers. ...there is a real shortage right now (and has been for a while).

Being in Florida (if you are doing Florida transportation work) you are probably exposed to GeoPAK instead of InRoads as your “Civil software”. Do you know either of these software packages? Are you using MicroStation?

I could go on, but I won’t since this is probably pushing the limits of a ‘Lotus’ discussion.

Here’s a pic of my “Zen Dude” company car.

- z
I'm a manager now, so I hunt work and provide food for the clan, and provide babysitting and lightning rod services... not so much technical work anymore. Back in the day, I was an InRoads expert. Worked on the modeling and was one of the lead engineers for a segment of the Marquette Interchange project in Milwaukee. I now do pre-design stuff - environmental documents. I was always the annoying engineer that asked stuff like "Why doesn't this road go over that one instead of the other way?" or "Why isn't this interchange configured differently?", so the preliminary engineering is a good fit.

I've used GEOPAK, and am proficient at MicroStation. Also back in the day, I did quite a bit of configuration work in MicroStation (not as much of a valued skill in FL with all the FDOT-provided configuration software...but I know how to figure things out when stuff stops working! ;) )

I'm in no way worried about work. My phone was lit up when the rumors of acquisition started...which was very flattering and comforting. :) I'm keeping an open mind at this point...Things have always worked out for me in my life and my career, so I just keep doing good work, keep my clients happy, keep my employees happy, and I know good things will flow from there.

Like I said earlier, I'm still quite amazed about how many Lotus owners are in the engineering field. Very cool.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Howdy. I'm not with them at this time but I did work for them for 10 years in the Houston area. I was out at the Rohm and Haas plant for Jacobs during the last two years with the company. Good company to work for and some great people there. Like any company it has it's share of politics but not nearly as bad as some of the other places I've been.
I'm presently at Universal Ensco in Houston, but the door is open to go back to JEG if I want.
Lot's of technical people at all levels in the Lotus world, surprisingly so.
Good luck with your position there

Al B.
Electrical design manager
Universal Ensco, Inc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts