The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing through an old classic car autotrader before I threw it away and saw an ad for a Pontiac Mera. Having never heard of it and the ad claiming it was one of 250 produced I decided to look it up on Google.

Turns out it was a dealer sold 308 replica with a V6. Seemed awful strange. They were even badging them with Ferrari emblems. It was not factory produced but not sold as a kit car. It was sold through dealers as a "conversion" like a conversion van.

Anyway, just found it weird and figured I'd share with my fellow car guys (and gals) here.

http://www.fiero.net/mera/article.html

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
so thats what those fiero/ferrari things are called....ive seen a few of them running around. havent seen one in a long time.
i kinda liked the look of the fiero gt....

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Yeah, I remember those horrible 308 body kits for the Fiero. They were all the rage in the '80s when making any car look like a Ferrari (remember, the TV show Miami Vice was huge back then) was thought to be a good idea. :eek: Thankfully that fad seems to have passed for the most part!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Cool. Kind of a factory kit car. :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
That web site is hilarious. $17,000 for a used kit car? Ouch. I just dont understand some people...

Best quote:

"Many MERAs were purchased by doctors and other professionals who don't read Fiero or other kit car publications, so they have no idea there is a registry."

Uh yea, sure. More like your trying to justify your purchase, and most owners wont admit to paying that much for a Fiero... :D

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Back in the 80s some company made a 246 Dino body for the Fiero that actually looked spot on.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never understood why more kits have never been developed on something like an S-10 frame. There are million out there, they are cheap and simple. You can put in a V-8 easy, simple to shorten...

Of course nothing will ever be easier than the VW for kit cars, just the stock powertrain is pretty limiting for an extremely exotic looking body.

·
Registered
581 Posts
never heard of that term, thought they were just "ferrari kit cars based off the fiero"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts