The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't laugh, it's a serious question. We're within days of going to pick up an Evora at a dealer in another state. It cannot leave the lot under its own power without paying sales tax and registration, never mind that we don't live in that state and would be leaving immediately and we can even bring plates from our own state with us. Them's the rules... it's either in/on a trailer or you pay. If the dealer cannot show a Bill of Lading for a given VIN when the state audits them, they get billed for the tax and registration. The tax rates there are ENORMOUSLY higher than at home and obviously nobody is going to refund us the difference once we register it.

We looked into enclosed vehicle shipping but 1) the big/trustworthy guys don't come to our rather small population center (North Idaho Panhandle), and 2) everybody else who IS willing to come anywhere close is based on brokerages where who is financially responsible is really murky and there are tons of horror stories about damage, "extra miles on the odometers of high end cars", finger pointing when you file a claim, etc. I just have a very difficult time entrusting a literally brand new car to some mystery trucker who happened to be the next guy on the brokerage's list, and who would potentially be loading and unloading it multiple times without me being there to observe.

I'm very close to a guy in the general region whose regular job is affected by the virus thing. He's willing to be the shipper and will provide a Bill of Lading but we'll need to rent a vehicle trailer. I've just come back from a local U-Haul and measured their trailer. Obviously the Evora won't test its load limits but I'm concerned about approach and departure angles, tire straps fitting on its wide-ish tires, etc.

The loading ramps are 13 degrees. 1-2 pieces of 2x10, or a gently sloping neighborhood street, can reduce that if necessary. The front wheel stops are 6 inches high, but those same 2x10's can act as risers to gain a bit more clearance if necessary. We don't have to tow far to get out of the state, and we can drive slowly and take our time.

Anyone done this? It sounds sacreligious, I know, but we're out of options.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
I think the Evora is too big (long). Here's a pic of an Exige, and it isn't on there by much. I also couldn't find a pic of an Evora on the same trailer.

uhaul_Exige.jpg

San

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
If you use the U-haul open trailer pictured above, bring some (4) 2x12s bevel cut to allow some clearance for your front spoiler. Use the tongue jack on another 6" block of wood to raise the tongue to make the approach angle on the ramp as easy as possible.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think the Evora is too big (long).
Excellent question. However, the trailer in that photo isn't the present generation of trailers.

Running the numbers: Track length on their present trailers (I measured it today) is 148 inches (12'4"). According to the Evora 400 manual, its wheelbase is 101.38 inches. There will be some setback at the front axle, but if we presume 13 inches that still leaves (148 - (102 + 13) =) 33 inches for the setback from the centerline of the rear tires to the end of the tracks. Analyzed another way, if we allow 13 inches of setback for front and rear tires, we would need (102 + 13 + 13 =) 128 inches of track length, leaving a margin of 20 inches. Obviously the front end will hang over the wheel stops but these trailers have remarkably long tongues so there's plenty of distance.

U-Haul is pretty insistent about loading cars forward because they want proper weight distribution. Ironically, that argues for loading a Lotus backward due to the roughly 63% weight on the rear axle - the opposite of a front-engined car. Furthermore, the angle of departure on the Evora is greater than the angle of approach which might be useful for dealing with the wheel stops up front.

The U-Haul guy who let me dissect his trailer today was pretty helpful, particularly when I told him I was picking up a Lotus {grin}. He suggested we get a bunch of folks together and push the car up the ramps rather than drive it. Not sure it's a good idea since I doubt the body panels are designed to take that, but it was an interesting idea.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I also had a similar question and researching around I came across Uhaul trailer to transport Evora which unfortunately doesn't have a resolution to their experience. Maybe @JSmith5690 would come back to tell us how it went.

I haven't gotten around to trying myself yet (I'm looking for a way to get the car to the shop and track) so if you do go through with this route I'm very interested with your experience.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't gotten around to trying myself yet (I'm looking for a way to get the car to the shop and track) so if you do go through with this route I'm very interested with your experience.
I plan to take photos and write up my experiences here.

Drive it home.
That's the plan... but I have to get it across the state line first so the selling state doesn't charge me extortion-level taxes and registration. I have arranged with my shipper to get me past the state line, then it comes off the trailer and I drive it the remaining ~800 miles to our "nearest" Lotus dealer for its break-in service, then the final 350 miles home.

Trust me, the original plan was to drive it off the lot and all the way home. But the first several hundred miles would be the most expensive miles imaginable. It will be WAY cheaper to pay the shipper to trailer it to the state line for me.

States should really reconsider this. If they'd offer a "5 Day Leave The State License" I'd gladly pay THEM the several hundred dollars instead of my shipper. This would encourage commerce at their in-state dealers and attract more out-of-state money buying cars there that can then be driven home. Instead, they get nothing. Talk about shortsighted....

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
Breaking it in on the highway isn't a great idea. Make sure to vary the speed and rpms as much as possible.

San

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To document for others to reference in the future, here are some various critical dimensions of the present-day U-Haul vehicle trailer. They have three "sizes" by tongue weight: 6K, 7K, and 7.5K. These numbers are from the 7.5K version, but the guy said the main dimensional difference is that the tracks get wider toward the center (e.g. there is less open space between the tracks).

Ramp angle: 13 degrees
Ramp length: 6'3" (75 inches)
Width across outside of tracks: 79 inches
Track length: 12'4" (148 inches)
Track width: 19 inches
Front stop height: 6 inches
Tire strap width: 14 inches
Clearance under vehicle: ~2.375 inches
Distance between inside edges of tracks: 42 inches
Length of front tire "secure" area: 21 inches

Biggest areas of concern for me right now are that 6 inch front tire stop height and the 13 degree ramp angle. The latter can be managed with 2x10's, parking the trailer facing away from the bottom of a hill, parking the rear of the towing vehicle above the level of the trailer's tires (to raise the tongue and thus lower the rear end), etc. But that tire stop worries me, particularly if the body starts to bounce while underway. I'm going to look very carefully at that. As noted above, it's possible backing the car onto the trailer will help because of the basically doubled angle of departure compared to the angle of approach.

·
Registered
487 Posts
This was actually me...about 2 weeks ago. I picked up this Exige with not enough info, but made it work. I learned a few things. I literally flew to Denver, borrowed my brothers truck, picked up a Uhaul trailer, went to St Louis and brought it back.
First. see if you can "round trip" the trailer. WAY cheaper than one way. (One way was the same cost as renting local for 10 days)
Two, I was trying to guess wheelbase, lifting over the stops as you noted, etc. I bought two 2x8x8s and bevel cut the ends.. (and set down the tongue jack, had other scrap wood for ramp assistants) and it actually went on pretty easy. The problem was the 96" wood, slightly longer than an Exige wheelbase, I thought would be enough... EXCEPT, the wood "on" the trailer wanted to stop at front of course, which being in front of the Exige front axles centerline meant the rear wheels "just" would sorta get on the wood. Problem was after bouncing down the freeway, the front strap was just starting to rub the bottom of the clam as the car wanted to move rearward.
The SOLUTION. Take the same 2x8x8 wood and cut 3' off for the front wheels to rest on and clear the stops. (Just as seen in Sans pic) The extra 5' make nice extension ramps.
ALSO, I looked and pondered how it would tow (I should add I towed cars on trailers as part of a salvage yard job in my youth for two years, so not an issue I was unfamiliar with) as the rear weight bias.
That being said, I think the Eliges tow fine forwards, BUT with an extra 10" on the wheel base, I am pretty sure I would want that Evora on backwards! The Exige engine was "just barely" in front of the rear trailer axle. Thus an Evora would be behind it..not a good recipe.

Good luck and congrats!

·
Registered
487 Posts
This pic shows the wood it sat on. I really think a 2 or 3 foot long piece for the tires to ride on where the ramp stops are to clear would be fine.
OH YES... the drivers side stop had somehow been mangled and more or less went straight up (last trailer available) and I was worried enough I unbolted it and left the passenger side in place. No problem clearance wise on the side with stop still there.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
Just a heads up, to use AAA the car has to have a plate. So just throw one on for show.

Also, if they ask say it died.(me today) think it was the fuel pump

Reactions: Kubera

·
Registered
111 Posts
Too many moving parts that can go wrong. I know if the car is in the transport truck and it's on the second level, then the truck driver can only get in your car through the window. Drive it home and you know you are in total control of the situation.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Did you try Intercity transport?

I transported my Z06 with a U-haul and it fit fine. The Vette is a smidge wider, a few inches longer wheelbase and longer overall than the Evora, same weight but a 50-50 distribution. The Evora is lower though. You will have to raise the front to clear the trailer as others have said.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I’ve lost track of how many cars I’ve had shipped. Never once had an issue. Maybe I’m lucky?
What state are you buying this car in? I’ve never heard of having issues like this.
bring an old plate with you and call AAA to tow it to the state line, or have a private flatbed do the same for you. Sounds much easier then messing with a uhaul trailer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've bought a number of dealer cars out of state. They always charged the tax and regi fees of the buyers state, not the sellers. The title/reg fees were always estimated high then the balance refunded when the title work was complete.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Do you really have to get the car to the state line? Can you just hire a flatbed tow truck to haul it off the lot and maybe out of town?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What state are you buying this car in? I’ve never heard of having issues like this.
Buying in California. Resident of Idaho. California's sales tax is TEN PERCENT. Every percent is like a thousand dollars.

bring an old plate with you and call AAA to tow it to the state line
I do have unlimited towing on my insurance, but I bet I wouldn't if I invoked it for this purpose! {grin}

1 - 20 of 77 Posts