The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a connector burn up at my inertia switch wiring and it got me thinking maybe running a bigger fuel pump isn't the best idea for the stock wiring? The car came with a 10 amp fuse and it was swapped for a 20 amp.

Sofar I've done about 15-20k on the supercharger setup and this was my first issue. (Could be a fluke, but got me thinking)

What I am looking for is the connector for the S1 evora (male n female) so I can use it as a T n run a bigger wire from a separate relay to the fuel sending unit.

But my next concern is, how much can the stock fuel sending unit manage on its own? Should that be upgraded aswell? Do they even make anything? It looks to be a standard Camry sending unit(the one I took a screen shot of is not the same, but the connector is and the stock one has a Toyota part number on it.

Reactions: donour

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not sure I understand what you mean by 'how much can the stock fuel sending unit manage on its own '. Do you mean how much horsepower the stock pump will support? I'm assuming you had the pump upgraded when you did your supercharger and you want to run a heavier wire and relay for the pump now.
You might contact Walbro and see if they have an install kit that has the connector you need.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not so much horsepower, it's current. An automotive pump was installed that pulls more current was installed. Now that this connector burned up Im worried about the plastic sending unit.

So if the pump pulls 20 amps. And the wire from the pump to the transition point can handle 20 amps and the wire going to the unit can handle it. My concern is can the transition point of the fuel pump sending unit handle 20 amps?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
The fuel pump and level sending unit both connect to the underside of that top plastic plate? It's really just the wires and the crimp pin connectors that determine currently handling. Chances are you could swap the pins out for the fuel pump specifically if they aren't capable of handling 20A, and leave the sending unit connections alone. But you'd have to match on the harness end as well.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That'd what I meant as thinking, but I wanted to see what others thought about the plastic unit itself.

You brought a ton of info on the other thread aswell.
Upgraded fuel sending units

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you look on the Monkey wrench website it looks like their fuel pumps come with an electrical connector with leads attached, No idea if the wire is heavier gauge though
Fuel Pumps

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw that, but how do you pass the power from inside the tank to outside while still maintaining a proper seal for safety reasons/ to avoid check engine lights for emissions

·
Registered
228 Posts
The connector on the sender might be OK as is. I couldn't say if it is or not but you could give these guys a call Performance Auto Parts & Car Accessories | Unbeatable Prices They sell a lot to the turner crowd and should be familiar enough with refitting a high performance in-tank pump. They might have knowledge of that same fuel sender. Or better yet, contact Monkey Wrench, they must have come across this as well.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: agentdr8

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Learned something new today!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts