The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah the awesome Z series...however I lost interest in the Z's when the 350z came out. I didnt like the specs and looks of it when it showcased. During high school my 2 friends both had 300zx's (z31's) and I instantly fell in love. They unfortunately wrecked them both during lunch breaks months apart but I never fell out of love with the raw style of them. I personally love the classic look of those types of cars. I owned a 85 Rx7 that took the same style as the 80's 300's.

Nissan has been hinting what their new "400z" looks like with small snippets of videos on their youtube channel. Ill post a link at the bottom of the most recent one.
If the specs are right, and the design hits home, im going to put a deposit down on one if I am able to. Would love something new. Rumored to be a Twin Turbo 3.something motor.

Reactions: Johnny DemonT

·
Registered
87 Posts
I came from a 370Z, all track prepped and supercharged. Hell of a car. Extremely poised and so confidence inspiring. In many ways, when all set up, it felt better than a GTR around the track.

My Exige has been interesting to learn... I almost feel spoiled by my Z. If I cant find the same success in my Exige, I may see what this new 400 is all about.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,183 Posts
The 240Z and 300ZX TT were the ground breakers in the line. The 350Z and 370Z are solid cars but very long in the tooth. If they make a manual in this, they'll have a hit especially with people being turned off by the Supra being essentially an automatic Z4 in Japanese clothing.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
72 Posts
I lost interest in Nissan some time ago. The 400 may change that, but they just don't put any effort into keeping their cars relevant and it's hard to get excited knowing it will likely be on the market with minimal upgrades for the next 15 years. Though the VQ engine is the main strike against the 350/370 for me. Just never liked the feel of them, so switching that up might make it more interesting. Especially if it keeps a manual, but I just don't like the newer computer controlled cars, I like to drive my car, not have it drive itself which is the direction so many new cars are going. GT-R is a perfect example, awesome car, but my 9 year old could drive it fast with how many computers are in it.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I lost interest in Nissan some time ago. The 400 may change that, but they just don't put any effort into keeping their cars relevant and it's hard to get excited knowing it will likely be on the market with minimal upgrades for the next 15 years. Though the VQ engine is the main strike against the 350/370 for me. Just never liked the feel of them, so switching that up might make it more interesting. Especially if it keeps a manual, but I just don't like the newer computer controlled cars, I like to drive my car, not have it drive itself which is the direction so many new cars are going. GT-R is a perfect example, awesome car, but my 9 year old could drive it fast with how many computers are in it.
I completely agree. 350 and 370 were just lackluster from the factory. The new 400z will come with a manual transmission as hinted in the video which is a HUGE + in my book. All these places wan to add these super fast transmissions that take a second or so off the QM but are forgetting that the enthusiast wants the manual transmission experience.

Reactions: Kubera

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think this might get a lot of hate but... I really loved 350Z and G35s... and even G37s and 370Z... but with Q60 and Q50, I cannot tolerate Nissan wasting their awesome engine with real heavy 20 year old platform (I mean Lotus Elise uses old platform too but it still has some advantage over modern platforms while Nissan FM doesn't really have any... also only Lotus's old platform does have issue and that is not being able to sell car in their biggest market - USA.) and dreadful 7 speed automatic.... I heard rumors that new 400Z or the new Z will be basically one same as Q60 without back seat and sure, it would be kinda fast, kinda good but it will still be on 20 year old platform that is slower around track/straight than Mustang and Camero that probably cost less.

·
Registered
282 Posts
This literally just killed the BMW Zupra in the enthusiast market.

This will 100% be an update of the existing Z, aka porsche 911 approach with incremental improvement through generations.

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
Ah the awesome Z series...however I lost interest in the Z's when the 350z came out. I didnt like the specs and looks of it when it showcased. During high school my 2 friends both had 300zx's (z31's) and I instantly fell in love. They unfortunately wrecked them both during lunch breaks months apart but I never fell out of love with the raw style of them. I personally love the classic look of those types of cars. I owned a 85 Rx7 that took the same style as the 80's 300's.

Nissan has been hinting what their new "400z" looks like with small snippets of videos on their youtube channel. Ill post a link at the bottom of the most recent one.
If the specs are right, and the design hits home, im going to put a deposit down on one if I am able to. Would love something new. Rumored to be a Twin Turbo 3.something motor.

I have the '82 Rx-7 that my dad bought new. I'll never sell it. They've become really rare, I see more Elises on the road than FB Rx-7s.

I really, really like the 3.7 engine and the FM chassis for a sedan. I have a G37xs sedan that is about to be replaced with a QX50 3.7 (same chassis). It's a really torquey but also fairly free revving and great sounding engine, if a little rough. Makes for a pretty darn fast sports sedan with alot of personality for a Japanese car. The chassis too is really nicely balanced, the engine is far back in the engine bay so the car rotates nicely and gives good feel through steering and chassis. I also have to mention that the car is screwed together extremely well. Reliability has been fantastic, even at 130,000 miles. For a sports car, however, I prefer a platform that's much lighter and smaller. The G weighs over 3800 pounds. But for an rear wheel drive biased AWD larger sedan it's perfect. So the 350/370Z never really appealed to me as much as the G.

The dark form of the 400 doesn't look very different to me in profile from the previous car. I suspect it's going to be a very similar chassis (as the Q50 is to the G37) but with detail changes. I don't know about the turbocharged engine either. I've owned a few turbo cars and never found that I was especially impressed with the engines despite the amount of power they make. I prefer the torque delivery and personality of a NA engine. So while I am happy to see Nissan continuing to develop the Z, especially considering the poor sales situation Nissan is in currently, I don't think it's very compelling.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I rebuilt my 85 Rx7 then did my own Targa conversion on it. People literally lost their **** saying I destroyed the car and it was going to fold into itsself and all this other stuff that, while somewhat true, I just didn't give a **** about what other people though. This was a car I brought back from the dead and did with it what I wanted to. I bought it in Miami for 1k cash and drove it back to Tampa with a hole in the catalytic converter and no license plates. The car did catch fire when I got home which I was surprised it didn't explode earlier. It also had a bad floater in the carburetor so if I came to a complete stop it would slowly stall out. It was a very interesting few hour drive at midnight with my buddy in my mustang tailing me the whole way. One of the best designed cars ive ever owned. You could beat the piss out of the motor and it would just beg for more. I put a Mikuni Side draft carb on there and it ran fantastic. I called the Nissan dealership to let them know I was interested if the specs turned out good, trying to get a deposit down and price locked in before they raise the MRSP by 20k like they did the Supras.

pre1.JPG

pre2.JPG

1stgen.jpg

fin2.jpg

fin3.JPG

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
I rebuilt my 85 Rx7 then did my own Targa conversion on it. People literally lost their ** saying I destroyed the car and it was going to fold into itsself and all this other stuff that, while somewhat true, I just didn't give a ** about what other people though. This was a car I brought back from the dead and did with it what I wanted to. I bought it in Miami for 1k cash and drove it back to Tampa with a hole in the catalytic converter and no license plates. The car did catch fire when I got home which I was surprised it didn't explode earlier. It also had a bad floater in the carburetor so if I came to a complete stop it would slowly stall out. It was a very interesting few hour drive at midnight with my buddy in my mustang tailing me the whole way. One of the best designed cars ive ever owned. You could beat the piss out of the motor and it would just beg for more. I put a Mikuni Side draft carb on there and it ran fantastic. I called the Nissan dealership to let them know I was interested if the specs turned out good, trying to get a deposit down and price locked in before they raise the MRSP by 20k like they did the Supras.
Nice! Mine carbon locked in the first 3 months that my dad owned it. This was long before it was widely known not to shut off a cold rotary engine. The second engine lasted about 120,000 miles. Actually, it lasted much longer than that, it just was sold to a friend so I could transplant a '90 street ported 13B into it at that point. It is now pretty much a completely different car than the one my dad used to drive with R&P steering, 200hp, RB suspension, and LSD but the chassis is still the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice! Mine carbon locked in the first 3 months that my dad owned it. This was long before it was widely known not to shut off a cold rotary engine. The second engine lasted about 120,000 miles. Actually, it lasted much longer than that, it just was sold to a friend so I could transplant a '90 street ported 13B into it at that point. It is now pretty much a completely different car than the one my dad used to drive with R&P steering, 200hp, RB suspension, and LSD but the chassis is still the same.
Ah yes the good ole starting and stopping procedures of the rotary. Always had to let it get to temp and then let it cool down prior to shutting off. On my 93's I had a turbo timer that helped with that. Sounds like you have a good engine in there. Street ported ones are always fun, my last one had an aggressive street port on it and was a bit over 500 HP with a $850 born warner turbo. Id buy another 1st gen but I swore off rotaries about 8 years back and been happy ever since lol, also back when I was driving them you could get em for 800-2500 all day long, now they are all creaping towards 10k. Yours is definitely a cool color with a good history!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Just remember that when you buy a new nissan you will be getting your dealership experience and service from the same places that sell 200 -20% down versas at 15% interest every week and you will be treated as such.

-disgruntled expensive nissan owner.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I typically go into a dealership with a shirt I bought at a concert when I was 13 years old that was large for some reason and cargo shorts. Usually been treated pretty well but I usually wear that so people dont talk to me lol.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its Live right now, Nissan Z Proto Debuts Today: See The Livestream Right Here

Not sure why they went with that color for the reveal, other than the Nostalgia from the prior modesl, but I just dont think it vibes with the vehicle. Pretty dissapointed with the looks overall. Happy about the Twin Turbo V6 but I wish they would have been more aggressive with the styling. I feel like if the cars like 100 feet infront of you on the highway would could possibly mistake it for a Mustang.

Photos Here https://www.motortrend.com/features-collections/nissan-z-proto-10-cool-things-new-sports-car/?slide=9

·
Registered
615 Posts
The taillights are the only semi-interesting thing here. Otherwise it's pretty hideous looking, haha.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That reveal just saved me 50k. Lol. So disappointed.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
72 Posts
I like the front and rear fine and feel like they are tributes to the old cars, but between the axles it looks like a 370. Especially the greenhouse so to me it's more of a significant body kit than a whole new model which is what they desperately need. Interior also looks too similar. Nissan is not headed anywhere good these days.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
756 Posts
I thought that once Carlos Ghosn was gone, Nissan would eventually figure out to style an interesting car again. Apparently not. It looks like somebody grafted the front of a 280zx to the rear of a a 300zx and then left it in the oven until it started to melt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts