The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I got my ECU reflashed with a custom Koldfire 270 tune on my S240 and have been experiencing stalling at stop lights. My car never stalled before the tune but it seems to developed the habit now. I've only driven the car about 100km's since so perhaps it just needs more time to adjust. When I re-installed the ECU I let the car idle for about 5-10 minutes to let it "learn" but the first time I took it out and just today it stalled twice again stopped at a light. Most of the time the RPM's just drop to low and it stalls so you can't catch it and blip the throttle ... and once today it actually revved up a bit and then stalled. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing after the tune ... as typically I hear it cures the stalling issue. I might have to bite the bullet and by the cable to I can get a re-tune. BTW ... the AFR's are typically solid at 14.7-14.9 at idle ... but when it stalls I can see the AFR's kind of go wild for a second or two. Any ideas guys?

Other than the stalling issues the tune has been great as there is more torque through the whole range and the car runs very smooth ... when it does idle properly :)

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah ... still getting the stalling but it seems less and happens mainly on incline or declines now. I also found that the AFR goes rich when it's about to stall ... down to 10.9-11.1 range. I've contacted BRG and they are working through KF/Phil but still haven't heard back in over a week. Starting to get worried here as the stalling is causing some dangerous situations!

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
322 Posts
I bought my '08 S240 with a gotham tune (going to Koldfire this summer) and it has had the stalling issue since day one.

Try this fix as it works for me (it's a temp solution till I get time to replace my intercooler, tubes, hoses and clamps, new tune, etc...) .....upon reaching the red light, while you are slowing down, give it a good quick rev to clean out the throttle body. If I do that, it will sit and idle at the red light just fine..... if I don't it will idle and stall 90% of the time unless I keep slight pressure on the gas to keep the RPM's up.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Order of method to rule out the obvious:

1. Clean MAF and TB
2. Check for vacuum leaks
3. Check for exhaust leak
4. Check aftermarket headers (if so equipped) against engine/gasket
5. Reset ECU (helped the most so far)
6. Replace MAF
7. Get tune

That is what I have done and am on step 7 now.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions ... did all of the above ... except for resetting the ECU. Any idea how to do that on a 08 S240?

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions ... did all of the above ... except for resetting the ECU. Any idea how to do that on a 08 S240?

Cheers,
Zoomby_U
Search LT, I have a tread about stall, MAF, TB cleaning, close loop catch can vs open loop catch can, reset TB after cleaning & steps how dealer reset (when not use Lotus computer).

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You cannot reset the ECU without either the Kold Fire cable or a Lotus scanner. There was a battery trick for the 05s but does not work for 06+.

You should only need to reset the ECU if you did some sort of performance mod that could affect STFT (i.e. I/H/E).

I would search CharlieX and reset ECU.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah ... that's the strange thing as my car idled perfectly PRIOR to the Koldfire tune and is now stalling AFTER the flash. I did change the exhaust after the tune, but don't think that should be much of an issue for the ECU to adapt. Oh well ... guess I'll just have to wait for BRG/Phil to come up with a solution.

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey!

We are working to find a solution for you. Main problem is that you don't have a FlashXpress cable or I think no dealer with a cable around as well?

First of all: Fact is that there are STOCK cars with stalling issues as well… AND It's like 15 -20 cars have the same software revision (tuned or stock ECU), 1 of these has a stalling issue.

Here some feedback I got from Hangar111 once about the few cars that had stalling issues over there:

"Stalling has something to do with wheel speed I think - only on the T4e models and only on some cars / some firmware versions. It's not tune related.
You could try it. Drive the car up to a junction and before stopping, leave in gear but put clutch to the floor - keep the car rolling and brush the brake pedal to stop. Sometimes the car will stall if the RPM drops to idle when the car is still rolling. It is a lazy way to drive a car, but very common. :O)
If you drive the car and use the gears to slow down, the problem never happens. This is why we have some people with the stalling and some people without."

That could be ONE way to try it but no explanation.

On the other side it could be JUST some vacuum or exhaust leak... e.g. a leak between the manifold (intake or exhaust) and the cylinder head.

A problem at idle is that e.g. just a little leak could cause the ECU to get the short term fuel trims wrong - ending up with wrong REAL AFR... although the ECU "thinks" it's right...

Cheers!
Luke

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the response Luke,

It's good to know you guys are working on it ... as I hadn't received any feedback for over a two weeks. I'm actually willing to purchase the cable if it will help us pinpoint the issue ... Thanks.

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
252 Posts
My 07 Exige S has serious stalling issues before my koldfire tune. It never came back! I'm so happy with the tune not to mention it gained s few hps :evil:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a quick update guys that I've been working with BOE on the issue and it appears it was a bad MAF. We did the PCV bypass first and that seemed to help ... but while it wouldn't stall, the idle would drop below 800RPM and start to chug. I bit the bullet and bought a new MAF and now she idle's beautifully. However I now am throwing a P1072 (rich) code ... BOE says to let the map learn it out ... so we'll see how it goes!

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
that's probably what I'll have to do next. ( get a new MAF). I don't have KF tune, but my car stalls like crazy. I'm stopped, it stalls, i then restart it immediately stalls again. It does this like 3-4 times in a row. restart, stall...restart, stall...restart stall. Pretty damn annoying.

One of these days I'm gonna tear the sh*t apart. Bad thing is I can't run the motor without the IC because I want to spray MAF cleaner all around to see if I've got a leak. Maybe at the injectors?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I've got a KF tune and my car never stalls. Prior to that with OEM tune and then Charlie X tune it stalled all the time.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah definitely try cleaning the MAF first ... but if that doesn't work then replace it. The other thing I did that really helped was using Seafoam to clean the intake manifold. That seemed to really free up the engine and it also seems to find idle a lot quicker. Good luck!

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

that's probably what I'll have to do next. ( get a new MAF). I don't have KF tune, but my car stalls like crazy. I'm stopped, it stalls, i then restart it immediately stalls again. It does this like 3-4 times in a row. restart, stall...restart, stall...restart stall. Pretty damn annoying.

One of these days I'm gonna tear the sh*t apart. Bad thing is I can't run the motor without the IC because I want to spray MAF cleaner all around to see if I've got a leak. Maybe at the injectors?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts