The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 1999 Esprit ended last week no sale.
I ran car fax and starting doing some checking and thought I would ask here as well.

Will get a PPI done if I decide to go forward after some investigating.

Vin # SCCDC0821XHA15800

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,225 Posts
The ad doesn't mention any Service (time or mileage-based). It has 12K miles and is 15 years old - definitely a Service C ($$$) would be needed at a minimum. Bidding didn't meet reserve at $24K - given a Service C for a V8 runs anywhere from $3K-$5K depending on location, the bidding may have reflected that issue.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
FWIW, and this is a superficial OCD Monk thing, but I recall seeing that ad before and making a mental note to myself that for a car painted such a bright color (which hides dirt), it looked pretty dirty in the pictures. Not that a dirty car necessarily means that it wasn't well-maintained, but most people wash and detail a car before taking a picture for an ad. When I see an ad for a car and the person hasn't prepped it (unless it's a project car or fixer-upper), I tend to get a feeling that the car either has issues (which soured them on the car) or the owner really doesn't care for it.

I'd much rather buy a car where the owner was fastidious and held the car in the highest regard as an object of worship. That's the kind of car you want to buy. I'm sure some may differ, but I've learned in life that it's the little details that can tell you a lot.

Anyway, just an observation, not trying to put the car down or anything, but something to keep in mind on any car. Even something as simple as missing center caps is a potential flag (not on that car). It's all in the details.

Roy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for some of the feedback. I was not sure about the wing either. Not sure if this year and model had that wing from the factory. This car is currently owned my a somewhat famous movie producer which might be why it is not loved and detailed like some may keep these cars.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Not sure if this year and model had that wing from the factory.
Ah no. Only 8 cars had this wing from the factory. They were the 1999 Sport 350. 4 in silver and 4 in black for the USA. One of the black ones was burned to the ground and was a parts car for a Guy Therien project. So that leaves 7 of them and one would not paint a real Sport 350 that color besides no rare OZ Chrono wheels. The real carbon fiber wings were also sold aftermarket, even SJ had them for a while and there was an Azure Blue V8 with one and now this one. Maybe more out there but it is a desirable rare wing as this one is the real deal CF with the 3rd brake light as some copies are out there. Also early Exige's had a similar wing also rare and hard to get. In wind tunnel tests it is the most functional efficient wing out of the different wing designs from what I am told.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts