The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my car without the clearbra, and am thinking about black racing stripes over STi. I assume that the way to go is paint (??) and need someone in the northeast that can do the job for me. Then I'll do a clearbra over everything.

Anyone done stripes yet? Any advice? I have no experience with this. Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
you should do vinyl stripes. You won't be able to tell the difference from paint and they will be cheaper and removable.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I guess one would have to put vinyl stipes on top of the clearbra?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,577 Posts
Steve said:
Thanks, I guess one would have to put vinyl stipes on top of the clearbra?
I would think you'd want to put the clearbra over the stripes. The stripes will be thinner than the bra.
Vinyl will be cheaper, but paint does look a bit nicer if you don't have any plans to ever remove them. We painted our racecar all one color and had a really good vinyl guy do all of our graphics (roundels, numbers, stripes, logos, etc). It looked really nice but if you got close you could certainly tell it wasn't paint. The advantage was that damage could be repaired more easily. We just had to have damage repaired and shot with one color. Then add vinyl as necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
Saw an LRG Elise in Houston with green stripes. These were vinyl and looked sharp. The owner was planing to have a clear bra installed over the stripes.

Car looked very sharp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
Johnny B said:
Saw an LRG Elise in Houston with green stripes. These were vinyl and looked sharp. The owner was planing to have a clear bra installed over the stripes.

Car looked very sharp.
You mean yellow stripes, don't you? I saw the same one at a club meet in Austin today. I talked to the owner briefly and he said it was done by Doug in Houston. The clear bra is installed over the top of the yellow stripes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
aletes said:
You mean yellow stripes, don't you? I saw the same one at a club meet in Austin today. I talked to the owner briefly and he said it was done by Doug in Houston. The clear bra is installed over the top of the yellow stripes.
Yep, I did mean yellow. Looks sharp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just realized that to put stipes, you have to remove four of the "LOTUS" letters from the rear decklid, put the stipes down, and replace the lettering on top of the stripes. I don't know if you could re-use the letters after removing them. I doubt it.

The other thing I'm wondering is width of the stripes. I think the wider stripes look better, but am unsure if they are 6", 8" or maybe even 10"

Clearbra on top of vinyl stripes seems to be the way to go. I wish I could see it before I commit, because that install makes them much more permanant!

So no one here has done an actual install yet I guess?

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
When you guys say "clear bra" is that the same as the star shield?

I thought the clear bra was relatively permanent (like vinyl stripes would be). I know it might be more noticeable if you look close to have the vinyl on top, but it just seems to me that given the expense of the bra versus the vinyl (bra way more expensive, right?) and the fact that you may get tired of the stripes -or- want to remove them to resell the car, putting them on top would be better.

I don't know, the more I think about it, the more I think it may be a wash either way.

I've got a GG coming and have been mildly considering white stripes. Probably won't, though. Can't think of any other color stripes that would work.


--Donnie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clearbra = semi-permanent film.

I am considering black, white or light silver stripes to go over Storm Ti. Maybe even red, they would match the interior and red looks great with silver/grey colors.

I'm thinking that the Storm Ti that I ordered is a bit too conservative, and stripes would also make the car more visible on the road.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
aletes said:
You mean yellow stripes, don't you? I saw the same one at a club meet in Austin today. I talked to the owner briefly and he said it was done by Doug in Houston. The clear bra is installed over the top of the yellow stripes.
I was there as well. The red Elise was mine! The stripes looked very nice. It was a perfect choice for the BRG color. To be honest, it looked so good, I doubt that I could think of a better looking stripe combination. Perhaps a blue and white would also look nice?

I know that he got an aftermarket "clear bra" although I don't know what order the stripes went on. I am relatively sure that the bra went over the stripes, but don't quote me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mean TT said:
I am relatively sure that the bra went over the stripes, but don't quote me.
Sorry, couldn't resist :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
If you go with vinyl instead of painted
stripes you are adding a partial second
level to the car and this is compounded
into a third 'height' level with the addition of the clear-film. Seems to me that this wiill result in fairly high edge where the
film and stripe levels end, and the regular
surface of the car begins, leading to much more probability of edge-peel problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
If you go with vinyl instead of painted
stripes you are adding a partial second
level to the car and this is compounded
into a third 'height' level with the addition of the clear-film. Seems to me that this wiill result in fairly high edge where the
film and stripe levels end, and the regular
surface of the car begins, leading to much more probability of edge-peel problems.

Actually I was suprised. The vinal stripes were very tihn, and looked excellent. It was only under very very close examination that I could tell that they were not paint. I was thinking the same thing as you, that vinal would have ripples, and dark edges along the length of the stripes. However, this was not the case. I assume that no one knows if these stripes will hold up or not, but the do look very good, and there was no part that had bubbles, or any part that was noticibly elevated from the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
Paint stripes are elevated as well.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
Mean TT said:
I was there as well. The red Elise was mine! The stripes looked very nice. It was a perfect choice for the BRG color. To be honest, it looked so good, I doubt that I could think of a better looking stripe combination. Perhaps a blue and white would also look nice?

I know that he got an aftermarket "clear bra" although I don't know what order the stripes went on. I am relatively sure that the bra went over the stripes, but don't quote me.
I saw you drive up at 2 PM. I think I inroduced myself to everyone but you ... Where are my manners?

I will be getting stripes when my car is delivered. Yellow stripes will go nicely with my Lotus Racing Green, Hardtop, & LSS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
Sownman said:
Paint stripes are elevated as well.

Steve
I would assume that paint would have much less thickness than vinyl. Need to know by someone
familiar with the two applications on a
commercial level to really have accurate
info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I started this thread hoping for data from people with real-world experience. It appears that no one here has installed them yet. I'm pretty sure I will put them on when my car gets here, so I'll share my experience. Steve
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top