The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would ask here in case someone is considering selling but doesnt look in the wanted adds. (mods delete if not allowed)

Im looking for an S, MY12+. Post here.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I have 2012 Evora N/A IPS that will be for sale in a few weeks, 49K miles, all work performed at dealer in MA., bought a 400. In case you know anyone?

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All auto and over 50k though. I’ve put a deposit on the 2013 manual that’s on there. Pending a PPI

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if anyone is interested. I was going to pull the trigger on this car pending a PPI.
VIN: SCCLMDSU4DHA10824

Service notes showed there was a rear main seal leak in 2017 (5000miles ago) that wasnt repaired.
At the PPI they found it had got a lot worse and also had leaked onto the clutch, causing it to smell and judder. It left a small puddle of engine oil after 1 mile of driving.
Had a quote for $10k to do the seals and clutch. (Sounds like Harrix @ A1 will do it for substantially less)

Also has had a windscreen and headlight replaced due to having a chain flicked up by a bus. Apparently it didnt damage the body work though the front tray has been replaced and front clam looks to be repainted.
Its been tracked a little bit but the ECU dump doesnt show any over revs or anything concerning.

Seller didnt agree with the PPI and wouldnt budge on price so I pulled out.

Other than this issue the car is in excellent shape. Bushings, suspension, bodywork, interior etc are great. So for me I didnt want to have to deal with a clutch replacement for the asking price but maybe someone else does? So I thought id give my feedback.

Keep on hunting then!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sounds like you dodged a bullet there. What does that even mean, they "didn't agree with the PPI"? They didn't want to believe it needed $10k worth of work? Sounds like they'll be sitting on that car a while unless someone unsuspecting buys it. Nice of you to post that information here. Keep looking, you'll find a good one.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you dodged a bullet there. What does that even mean, they "didn't agree with the PPI"? They didn't want to believe it needed $10k worth of work? Sounds like they'll be sitting on that car a while unless someone unsuspecting buys it. Nice of you to post that information here. Keep looking, you'll find a good one.
Apparently he had a PPI a year+ ago before buying it and 'it had no issues'.
Though its not a great argument considering the service notes in 2017 say the customer asks to find a leak and their conclusion is a rear main seal. Then my PPI says theres a major leak with a video showing a very wet engine with drips coming out of the bellhousing.

I mean I dont agree that it should be $10k worth of work but thats the quote they gave.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What are peoples thoughts on this one? Should I not be so stuck on the MY12+?

2011 Evora S Heritage. 1 of 4.

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
That's a great looking limited edition car. But, I don't know what they are asking for it. And, based on past threads, your going to get different opinions on whether a MY2012+ is better than a MY2011. There were changes made but many were only cosmetic.

In my opinion, if you are buying a used car, it really depends on how the car was driven and/or maintained that should be the deciding factor. Plus, if you are happy with the color/options etc.

For reference, here are some posts about the differences between MY 2011 and MY2012+...

·
Scott M
294 Posts
Seems quite nice, although sometimes it's hard to be sure from pictures. I felt I was pretty picky before I bought, and this one is worth a closer look.

As it seems just about every Lotus sold in North America can be considered 1 of (insert tiny # here), this is really "just" a well optioned '11 S with as yet unknown maintenance and current mechanical condition.

This seems like it ought to be a low $50s example. I'd bet the dealer wants ~$59+. Worth a call regardless.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Apparently he had a PPI a year+ ago before buying it and 'it had no issues'.
Though its not a great argument considering the service notes in 2017 say the customer asks to find a leak and their conclusion is a rear main seal. Then my PPI says theres a major leak with a video showing a very wet engine with drips coming out of the bellhousing.

I mean I dont agree that it should be $10k worth of work but thats the quote they gave.
Thanks for posting this info. I was considering placing an offer but it seems that the car is not even driveable. I'm concerned that since the seal has been ignored for two years, dirt may have found its way into the engine. No way the PPI could tell that.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for posting this info. I was considering placing an offer but it seems that the car is not even driveable. I'm concerned that since the seal has been ignored for two years, dirt may have found its way into the engine. No way the PPI could tell that.
Its perfectly driveable it just sounds like their policy is to flatbed cars everywhere (which made my PPI cost me $650). Either have to flatbed it to your inspector or have your inspector go to their workshop (they dont have a lift though).

I couldnt comment on the 'dirt getting into the engine' concern. To be honest I feel like that wouldnt be an issue. The oil would wash that out!haha

In my opinion (From my inspectors report) this is what it would need (and what would be done at the same time)
  • Rear main seal (might as well do front too)
  • Flywheel/clutch (+new flywheel bolts and release/throwout bearing)
  • Gearbox inputshaft seal (nothing to say this is leaking but might as well do it)
  • Hatch gas struts need replacing
  • Brakepads all around
  • Tires have seen track time but have life left.
Front clam doesnt show its age for 30kmiles. Looks to be replaced or painted. Windscreen and a headlight also replaced.

This is all just my opinion so I would suggest getting your own PPI and request the service records from them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.