The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car was delivered 2 months ago, and I was expecting a plate from California DMV. A letter from DMV came, and it read "Suspense notice " "Suspense date: 00/00/00" "Reason: FAILED VIN CHECK". Looks like I can't register the car !

I called Lotus USA and they said my vin is a valid vin number. And the dealer said "Your car is brand new and the guys in Sacramento should fix it soon. You will get your plate soon."

Car is delivered by a dealer in CA .. anyone getting this letter from DMV?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
No problems here. I bought my car 9/9; the dealer mailed me the license plates and registration a week or two after that. The fact that they mailed it, and not the DMV, might mean that they had to go to the DMV in person to work out the issue that you're encountering - I had assumed it was just awesome customer service, but maybe not.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I haven't gotten a letter from the DMV, but it looks as though the Lotus VIN numbers are causing problems. I got a phone call from my dealer last week asking me to confirm the VIN that they have on record by reading it off the car. They may have been having trouble at the DMV. When I was insuring the car with State Farm my agent said "Our computer said thats not a valid VIN. Oh well, lets just override that function"

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I registered my VIN at the DMV and had no problems and, once I returned with the required smog check (I bought the car out of state), they gave me plates on the spot. State Farm however talked with me to confirm the VIN several times until they finally updated the lotus info in their computers.

good luck!
-doma

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I had an express experience at the DMV after having the car shipped from New York and smogged here(I think the box of chocolates helped grease the way with the DMV ladies).
Cal State Auto Assn (AAA) recognized the VIN right away, I was surprised..

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Uh huh.

I don't have my plates yet (I got the car in early August) I thought the plate application and sending to my address was automatic (it was on the only other car I've bought over here) should I be doing something to get the plates?

Steve

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
You only get your plates the day you register if you import from another state. Otherwise they send them in the mail (up to 90 days wait) to you.
I got my plate "PURE S.C." the day that I registered the car since I had ordered it six months previously.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
svl,
YOu've probably checked and it sounds kind of dumb probably but is it possible they've put the wrong vin on the paperwork (although certainly the MSO would be correct)
Chris

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called DMV and the lady asked me to bring the car for a VIN Check. I've made an appointment, and hopefully that's the final step.

I also checked the paper work from the dealer (the yellow paper that has 10 of your signatures) , the VIN is correct.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts