The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
milcher said:
thanks for the link. this has got to be the first collection of pics of the federal car and we've just found this link?

anyway, what the hell is this? what octane is racing gas and is there a gas station in SoCal that sells it?

Attachments

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
nevermind. :eek: i found the picture before and it's 100 octane! Howcome the premium there is 93? Cali is 91!

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
Some 76 stations in California sell 100 Octane gas, as well as most if not all race tracks.

Do a search on Google... I'm sure you'll be able to locate one in your area if you need to.

Best,
John

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
shay2nak said:
thanks for the link. this has got to be the first collection of pics of the federal car and we've just found this link?
These pictures were posted on EliseTalk a long time ago...late last year, IIRC.

anyway, what the hell is this? what octane is racing gas and is there a gas station in SoCal that sells it?
Racing gas is sold at some (all?) Union 76 stations in SoCal There are a few that I know of in Newport Beach and Costa Mesa. Their racing gas is 100 octane.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
ChrisB said:
These pictures were posted on EliseTalk a long time ago...late last year, IIRC.

Racing gas is sold at some (all?) Union 76 stations in SoCal There are a few that I know of in Newport Beach and Costa Mesa. Their racing gas is 100 octane.
really? how much is it now per gallon? Also, how much increase in power would it be if i fill my car with 100 oct. vs 91 oct. ?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
shay2nak said:
really? how much is it now per gallon? Also, how much increase in power would it be if i fill my car with 100 oct. vs 91 oct. ?
There's not really any more power in high-octane gas than in low. In fact, I think the high-octane gas has very slightly less power as it's more difficult to ignite.

Where you get more power out of high octane gas is when the ECU is retarding the spark due to knock at a lower octane grade. Moving back up to the grade recommended in the manual will allow the ECU to advance the timing to the optimal point, giving best power. Some manufacturers supposedly have the ECU set up so that higher than recommended octane can allow even more agressive timing for more power, but I don't think that's really common.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

the reality to high octange gas (from my experience) is if you are car is not running a race gas program you will generally find a power loss likely - the problem being the octane is to high and things will get very F'd up in the timing and your car will pull timing and hence lose power. now in my s4 i had sportec tune me a race program specifically for 100+ octane - this ecu made about 40whp more then my street gas program but also made about 10 degrees more timing as well.

on a turbo charged car a higher octane program can usually alow for a more aggresive timing curve and higher boost.

if i find some way to turbo charge the elise (down the road) i would definitely do a race program again - so much fun :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
ChrisB said:
These pictures were posted on EliseTalk a long time ago...late last year, IIRC
yes they were, but not all of them.
Bordeaux Red Pearl
puresportscar had the link...

andykeck said:
There's not really any more power in high-octane gas than in low. In fact, I think the high-octane gas has very slightly less power as it's more difficult to ignite.
True statement for average engines. With N/A engines having higer compression ratios or engines using a turbo or s/c, higher octane can keep the ECU from dialing back the ingition. Also, higher octane will make more power when driving in extreme heat, such as Phoenix. I've found using 100 octane unleaded on 115 deg summer day makes my TT run like it does on a cool winter morning, however I don't notice an increase in power when using it in the winter. Turbos are cool...heh...heh.

·
Registered
321 Posts
In CT, where I'm from, the premium octane is 96 and is sold at mostly Sunoco stations. The BP station sells racing gas...they call it True Blue, and it is a 106 octane gas. I ran it in my 1981 Grand Prix. I dropped a 350 in there and put a posi on it...that thing hauled ass.

·
Registered
587 Posts
John4378 said:
In CT, where I'm from, the premium octane is 96 and is sold at mostly Sunoco stations. The BP station sells racing gas...they call it True Blue, and it is a 106 octane gas. I ran it in my 1981 Grand Prix. I dropped a 350 in there and put a posi on it...that thing hauled ass.
Connecticut has 96 octane now? They had 94 when I used to live there (about 5-6 years ago).

In that time California gas has gone from 92 -> 91 (it may have even been 93 when I first moved here... I forget).

Not fair at all.

shay2nak -- 100 octane is $4.50-5.00/gallon and is as others have pointed out useless unless you are trying to prevent detonation which usually results from some sort of aftermarket setup (software and/or FI). Really, don't waste your money.

Best,
John

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I just noticed somoeone asking how much more power they'll make with higher octane gas. Ive met a lot of people who think high octane gas makes more power by itself, as if, just by adding it to your tank you will have more power. Not at all.

High octane gas does not increase hp. In fact, as someone above said, higher octane gas actually decreases power because its harder to ignite. What high octane gas does is allow you to do things to your engine to make more power, ie, increase timing, run more boost, run a higher compression ratio. The gas itself does nothing. Higher octanes slower burn decreases the change of predetonation. Running higher octane gas alone will do nothing for you other than slow you down.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
read this for the story on why we get screwed in california:

the octane game

·
Registered
539 Posts
John4378 said:
In CT, where I'm from, the premium octane is 96 and is sold at mostly Sunoco stations. The BP station sells racing gas...they call it True Blue, and it is a 106 octane gas. .
:confused: There's no 96 in CT. Premium is 93 Sunoco (and prehaps some others) offer 94. I've never seen 106 at BP either.

·
Registered
141 Posts
shay2nak,

There is a gas station on the corner of desoto & vanowen that sells 101 octane for cheaper than unocal. Last I filled up at a 76 station I was paying close to $6/gal. This gas station in the valley sells it for around $4.75/gal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts