The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a call from a company called Movie Time Cars. They said the USA TV show Royal Pains is looking for 12 Exotic Cars for a shoot next week.

The scene would only be a slow procession or a parked line of cars. They would pick my car up on flat bed on Monday use it Tues-Fri and return it to me on Saturday.

They want to pay me $2800.

The company is fully insured.

Anyone know if this price is good/bad? Are there any other questions I should be asking?

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Unless you need the money, or your ego stroked by saying 'My car was on TV!' I'd pass. If it was a matter that YOU are the one driving it throughout the shoot, putting it where they want it, etc., that's one thing.

But total strangers, other than a mechanic, driving it?

If you do it, ask to SEE their insurance policy, don't just take them at their word.

Also be sure the flatbed driver knows what he's doing. Most of the time they strap the car down with straps over the suspension pieces, which pretty much guarantees bending something you don't want bent. Make sure they tie it down through the wheels, with appropriate padding to prevent scratching of same.

I'd also want to know where and how the car will be secured at night. Be sure each of the crew isn't taking one of the cars home each night.

As for insurance...if there is a mechanical failure due to misuse, you have almost NO chance of proving they did it. Body damage, maybe. Toasted clutch or the like, you'll eat it.

Let somebody else's car be in the shoot and tell everyone it's yours.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've done it for a parking garage scene and it worked out great! Great extra cash and cool to see it in an episode.

I say do it on the condition that you can watch them shoot. :shift:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm - thanks for all the good points LotusforSale. I will have to decide by tomorrow but I will definitely ask some of these questions first.

They told me they would put in writing on the agreement that the car will not be driven more than 5 miles. But I am curious where it will be stored at night.

They need 12 exotics for the shoot mostly Lambos and Ferrari's. They will all be supplied by this same company.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I would insist on driving it myself.... heck, for the money take the day off!

ALSO....HOW did they find you to even make such an offer? DMV registrations????

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately I can't take 4 days off next week.

There really isn't going to be any driving. As I said the contract will state it won't be driven more than 5 miles. It will pretty much be taking it on and of the flat bed and parking it for the shoot.

I don't really have all the details of the scene. It sounds like it is just going to be a driveway scene with all these cars parked.

One of the guys from this company saw my car at a car meet years ago. He shot some pictures of my car and asked if I would ever be interested in having my car used in a movie or on TV. I just said sure and never thought I would hear from him.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have a bit of experience witht these thing, i lived in the french quarter of new orleans for many years and the media companies would always be looking for places to film in.
in general, the experience was usually bad. these people promise the world but then don't deliver and they're out-of-there on to the next shoot. i and friends had furniture damaged, walls scrapped, stuff broken, etc. they'll tell you it's only a few guys with minimal equipment but then show up with two trucks and thirty people. be very careful, they're not as interested in your car as you are. after all, there are companies that rent out all sorts of cars to film companies. $2800 bucks is not bad, i used to get $500 per day for a location but that included full use of the space and it was best if you got out of there. they might discount taxes or other fees.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do NOT provide your vehicle to a Production Company

Besides collecting 2 seaters, I also collect Armored Fighting Vehicles, and have had my armor in 5 movies. I have also been a military technical advisor on 2 more movies, and provided camo uniforms to yet another.
Regarding vehicle use....unless you contract for your PERSONAL services and YOU maintain FULL CONTROL over your vehicle, do not become involved with any productions. "Heavy equipment operators" are not required to be union members. If you relenquish control of your vehicle, you literally will have no idea what happened to it, or how it was treated. One production company failed to return a Willy's MB jeep to me, and I found out that they had run a train over it when I saw it happen on the big screen. I also never got paid for that one. Production companies are formed for that one production, and when completed, disappear into the sunset, and try and collect monies due. Payment in advance, in full, is what I now require. And no one, except for me or my staff, are even allowed to touch my vehicles. Even if they do not run them, they will attempt to make the outside appearence to match their scene, and perhaps even artificially "distress" them so the vehicle doesn't look "too good", like showroom new.
In short, it's just not worth it.

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
Having grown up in the Los Angeles area, I know of a guy who rented his classic Corvette to the movies. They thrashed it…they eventually paid for the engine rebuild, but lost one generation on it. He said he would never do that again! The devaluation due to rebuilding is not worth what you get paid.

Plan on having to completely rebuild/restore your car after being loaned out to the movies.

·
Registered
796 Posts
What stops them from sending you paperwork, talking to you on the phone, showing the insurance waiver(whatever), loading up your car carefully, shaking your hand, then poof.

never to see your car again. (scam artist)

you will probably be able to find it on autotrader china in a month or so for about 45-65k USD.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If you guys watch the US Top Gear, the show they did on Alaskan trucks had a Toyota in it that was "rented" by the producers.

In the end, the producers left the owner with a damaged truck and refused to pay. They got their shots and that was all that they cared about.

I don't know the exact details as it's a friend of a friend, but something along the lines like they drilled holes all over to mount cameras or other gear without permission, and also the truck had some damage from them off roading it.

Unless I was right there with the car the WHOLE time I would not consider it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
if they wanted it bad enough, assumijng it is possible, I would want a clause in the contract that states, "you ding it, you've bought it (at dealership prices ofc)".
But $2800 would be might hard to pass up, and Royal Pains isn't a travelling show, so it might be easier to get hold of the production company once they leave. Coming to think of it, most times I've seen it, the cars are really just parked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts