The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had any cosmetic dentistry done? Were you happy with the results? I decided to get porcelain veneers. Im a little concerned about durability and strength of them for the cost though. Any input appreciated:D

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yes, I have one on my upper front tooth (#7?) from a childhood baseball incident. I believe my veneer (sp?) is about 14 years old, no major problems. Only thing I'll note is that the color of your teeth change a bit over time, and therefore the veneer may not be a perfect match years down the road (mine is still pretty good though).

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I have one on my upper front tooth (#7?) from a childhood baseball incident. I believe my veneer (sp?) is about 14 years old, no major problems. Only thing I'll note is that the color of your teeth change a bit over time, and therefore the veneer may not be a perfect match years down the road (mine is still pretty good though).

i would probably have 6 through 11 done so no worries matching.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Better have some good Dental insurance or a nice amount of money burning a hole in your pocket....
I had my two front done (idk the numbers) and it was about 4000 , insurance didn't cover a thing, but i am quite pleased with the results and i'm sure you will be too.
Peace
Jon

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Not me but a friend had it done ~15+ years ago. Recently went to have them checked and possibly replaced but the inspection came back positive!

It can make a HUGE difference to not just your smile (obvious) but your outlook, confidence, and how people see you (depending how bad they are to start with obviously).

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
Very often the premolars, especially the first ones #5 and 12, show well in a smile, and need to be included in a cosmetic case.

Better have some good Dental insurance or a nice amount of money burning a hole in your pocket....
I had my two front done (idk the numbers) and it was about 4000 , insurance didn't cover a thing, but i am quite pleased with the results and i'm sure you will be too.
Peace
Jon
That's a very high fee for such. In most of the country $800 tops per.

The best way to make them look artificial, say like Richard petty,

Richard-Petty-nc01.jpg

is to make them all the same shade, and each one the same shade top to bottom, left to right. This can give the appearance of a solid chunk of glass, if that's what one prefers. Almost all real teeth have some amount of darker coloration at the cervical (near the gum) and interproximal (in between). In Caucasians, the cuspids are unually darkest, the laterals and premolars lightest, and the centrals in between. All subjective through.

And I love King Richard.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree with the other posts here as a dentist. Porcelain veneers are best done in pairs for symmetry and if a significant change in shade is desired, you usually need to cover the width of the smile, typically #5 to #12. Also, most want to whiten all the teeth prior to veneers, especially to help the lower teeth blend with the uppers once restored versus placing veneers on the lower teeth as well. - Veneers along with other dental restorative materials will not whiten/change color if you bleach the teeth later. We charge $950-1000 per veneer for traditional feldspathic or pressed (Empress) veneers or Lumineers (I am in Orlando, FL.) They are usually not covered by insurance when considered for cosmetics. The Lumineer is a brand of thin veneer by DenMat Corp. heavily marketed now. I have placed these but there are pros and cons. The pro is that minimal to no tooth removal is required for these many times (potentially reversible) but the con is less control over the esthetic shading as discussed here/more monochromatic, sometimes a little bulky, and more post cementation visits required to remove excess cement and polish/shape the edges where they meet the gums properly. - Hope this helps..:)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great info guys, thanks. My teeth are in good shape just dont like the actual shape of them and there is a little unevenes(sp?) too. I am considering doing 5 and 12 as well but mine dont show very much. BRTHTAKER, I wish it was 800 per. Thats good to know about the shading stuff. I will keep that in mind. Also insurance doesnt cover anything cosmetic.

JRz, do you know if I would have to wait to have this done because I still have to wear retainers at night from braces. Couldnt I just get new retainers?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes, you can and would need a new retainer made after the veneers. Doubtful there would be risk of drift during the time you have temporary veneers (if needed, some Lumineers don't need temporaries) but you could also have a vacuum formed "temporary" retainer made inexpensively to fit over the temporaries just to be sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts