The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the cars I'm looking at comes with Lotus Guard film. I've searched on this site and others, and there are only a few small discussions of it with few details. The dealer says it is a no-cost option that is automatically added at the port in Baltimore MD when the cars arrive from the UK. Those that have plans to do things like paint correction, etc. can choose not to have it installed, otherwise dealers just default to including it when ordering their cars. It doesn't even show up on the window sticker.

The dealer informed me that this particular car has "Lotus Guard Full". I've also seen online references to "Lotus Guard Premium".

Does anyone have data on this? Is "Lotus Guard" just 3M PPF that has been relabeled? Perhaps more importantly, how much and what areas of the car are included in the "Full" and "Premium" options, are there other levels above and/or below, etc.? I was planning to schedule PPF installation but now I don't know if "Lotus Guard Full" leaves anything to add, etc.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
Playing with semantics now and expecting too muich from clueless folks. Its been called Starshield, Full, Premium .....................its all protection and looks like crap after a number of years. Great when new but eventually you peel and redo or enjoy the paint as god intended. All that is left on mine is the nose and I applied the GT rear spats area as that is the 1 area of the vehicle that takes the most beating. Guy that bought my Elise after 9 yrs couldn't believe it NEVER had any Starshield...with 30-40 track days on it!

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I'm just trying to make sure that we're prepared for this deal we're chasing. We have a shot at a brand new 2020 GT from a dealer. If we get it, we would drive it off the lot and then put its first 1000 miles on it driving it home across three states, stopping at our nearest Lotus dealer (350 miles short of home, in a neighboring state) to get its engine break-in service so we don't have to do another 700 mile round trip immediately. Yes, we'd vary the RPM's and the chosen gear and limit the RPM's and all of that on the way home to properly break in the engine. This just seems like a good way to get familiar with the car AND, with a very minor detour, put us right at a Lotus dealership when the break-in service is due anyway rather than clock an extra, unnecessary and boring straight 700 freeway miles which would put us well past the recommended service mileage.

What I'm concerned about is the road rash from a 1000 mile trip. The car is going to get driven - we aren't buying it for a museum - so it will get its first 1000 miles one way or another. But in this case the paint is literally brand new. It will never be this new again. I want to avoid road rash on that beautiful new paint. That's why I'm asking about how much physical coverage comes with "Lotus Guard Full", and whether I need to get some additional PPF installed before we hit the road for that 1000 miles.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
My experience with the exige is that the film on the early cars is lacking in coverage, and for the money you can get a top notch custom job. YOu could track tape it for the ride home or pay Lotus the money

·
Administrator
1,417 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts