The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did they do? Drain oil, download from the ECU, adjust any window rattles or loose center consoles? Did they charge you for the service? How much? Someone mentioned that a conventional oil change isn't possible due to the oil coolers near the front grill.

Is this true? What type of oil are they now using? Synthentic like Mobile 1?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Jason,
Had it done last Friday, book spec is 1.9 hours, as this was the first one done they took additional time, reviewing manual etc. but of course did not bill for it. The check includes going over the car, torque specific suspension part but for the life of me can't remember what part. Also, checking the car over, changing the oil (manual recommends full synth 5w40, they don't recommend a specific synth oil they use havoline as an example), data download. Note the oil change only changes the oil in the engine sump, the oil in the coolers is not changed at this service. As I recall 4.4 liters in the engine sump. SErvice $246. BTW> I didn't have any rattles or other issues at this service:clap:

Recommended service intervals are once a year or every 7500 miles. It IS OK FOR OWNERS TO SERVICE CARS THEMSELVES or other shop, as long as documentation of service done at the appropriate intervals.

Data download was no big deal.

The 1k service is NOT free.

Chris

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$246?? That has to be only for the oil change...or did you have something else done that is outside of warranty?

Sheeesh, that's a bit steep. A friend of mine pays $150 for his 911 and they also have to drain oil coolers...why so much?

If that is the charge they require for an oil change there is going to be a lot of screaming from the customers. I figured $100 MAX.....

Can the first service be done w/o the oil change? I'll do it myself if it's going to cost THAT much!

Glad you don't have any rattles, forgot, did you go with the Touring?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wait, WHAAAAAAAT?! Why am I paying for mandatory service (that I have scheduled for Thursday)?

·
Registered
539 Posts
There's another thread related to this, along with the displeasure of some (myself included). Some others feel it's LOA's privilege to overcharge for services, and that we shouldn't dare question it. :rolleyes: At least it's good to hear that they will allow those of us who work on cars to do so.

Paul

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
$246?? That's way high. Mine is on Saturday, and I'll post back on how it goes. I have a low idle I want them to check, I want my headlights adjusted up and my radio front does not disengage when I press the button. It hangs up.

No big issues, but since they're looking it over, they might as well fix it...oh, and I don't have the torx wrench. I think they took it to take the top off. I want it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you want free service, go buy a Kia :p

This is a high performance car and it will have maintenance costs. You want to see maintenance costs, go buy a Ferrari. I believe the Elise will be many orders of relative magnitude less costly to maintain (when comparing the costs of the cars). But I could be wrong :eek:

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Hans didn't buy a kia, bought an S2k.

Well guys, you'll find a lot of the Lotus dealerships are high end places, consequently labor rates are high. This rate will vary significantly with dealers across the country.

Snowphun, I will fight to the death anyone that challenges your inalienable right to service the car as you see fit!!!!! :D

Yes touring

Also, remember service intervals are only once every 7500 miles or once a year. Certainly a longer interval than I was used to with my Esprit.

Chris:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
service interval in the UK is once a year or every 9000 miles... can't see why it woul be any different for the fed cars....

Milan

·
Registered
637 Posts
Milan said:
service interval in the UK is once a year or every 9000 miles... can't see why it woul be any different for the fed cars....

Milan
Different engine, transmission, laws....

:)

Actually you're probably paying for the mechanic's time. That's what costs so much here in the UK anyway. WHen I take my elise in, every service they get under it and check just about everything. (ARB, wheelbearings, brakes - pad wear, hvac, rattles, battery electrolyte, levels, light alignment, bulbs, fuses, steering gators, exhaust mounts, engine mounts...)

Craigy

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Actually you're probably paying for the mechanic's time. That's what costs so much here in the UK anyway. WHen I take my elise in, every service they get under it and check just about everything. <<<

I think that folks don't have an issue with paying a few hundred for high quality service as you mention above. Well maybe some do. I'd guess that most just don't want to way a few hundred bucks for 5 quarts of oil, a filter and a 10 second ECU data download. Then they'd feel ripped off and cornered. I've seen the check lists many of the European car companies use for their inspections - it's good and worthwhile stuff and well worth the cost.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
To compare servicing a $200,000+ Ferrari and an Elise at 45K is ridiculous. I expect that service that would have cost me $29.99 on my Spyder should NOT be 10 times that on an Elise. If it is, please help me get a Chilton guide and 5 quarts of oil because I'm going in! LOL

My labor might be less given that it will be done by a Chevrolet dealer. At least, that's what I'm hoping. :)

Did I mention the V V KICKS ASS?? I was in a pissy mood last night, and my Elise redlined a few times to get me out of it. It worked.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>To compare servicing a $200,000+ Ferrari and an Elise at 45K is ridiculous. I expect that service that would have cost me $29.99 on my Spyder should NOT be 10 times that on an Elise. If it is, please help me get a Chilton guide and 5 quarts of oil because I'm going in! LOL <<<

But the 29.99 is a subsidized feel-good service performed by whoever on super-easy-to-service cars that show up in long lines every single day. So you can set up for it in the service area. Many aspects of the Elise are very comparable to the Ferrari in terms of labor intensive, hand-built aspects of the design. It's likely that many sevices are inherently labor intensive on this car. As I grow older I realize that peace of mind is priceless. Maybe Lotus needs to better explain exactly what they do during this process. And I think I read that to change the oil in this car you need to remove the huge alloy sheet / diffuser from the rear underside of the car. If so, this will not be a good jiffy-lube candidate! My old Lotus came with a long list of check/inspect items. This sort of stuff helps cut down on troubles later on. I would hope that any of these multi-brand stores have only 1 or 2 trained Lotus experts doing all the servicing. Around here all the Chevy places have a vette guy that handles those cars. Regular chevies get the next open bay.

Stan

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Great points, Stan. I AM prepared to pay more, and you're right about peace of mind. I want my baby running at the top of its game for at least the next 6-7 years...

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>I AM prepared to pay more, and you're right about peace of mind. I want my baby running at the top of its game for at least the next 6-7 years...<<<

Exactly! I don't want to get ripped off any more than the next guy. I think that some might feel better about the matter once they find out more about the car and it's particular needs. I understand that many of the dealers flew down their tech(s) who underwent a massive Elise servicing immersement. They dissassembled one, eyeballed everything and then reassembled it. So to them it's no longer a weird car with lots of hidden surprises. Many of them are pumped up about the car and feel personal pride that they are now the super-cat in their service area. That's who I want looking after my Elise (whenever I wind up getting one!).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Craigy

I was wondering why the fed Elise and a 111R would differ on service interval... same engine, same transmission...

Milan

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
MJC123 said:
If you want free service, go buy a Kia :p
Actually, a BMW, Audi, etc, might be a better choice. Yes I know there is no free lunch, you are just paying for the servince in the purchase price, but many of the cars in the same "class" include scheduled maintenance, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the same from lotus, _especially_ if they are going to collect data to void your warrantee at the same time. :/

That said, I'll probably suck it up and have the dealer do it, although I'm really on the fence seeing as it is an hour drive each way.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
m100 Sean said:
Wait, WHAAAAAAAT?! Why am I paying for mandatory service (that I have scheduled for Thursday)?
The mandatory part is the part that most people don't seem to understand here.

Back when my '72 Elan was new, the "after-sales-service" was on the Lotus, the rest were on the owner. I kind of expected the same here, since the first one is mandatory at the dealer to read the ECU as a condition of warrantey...

Tim Mullen

PS: Sean, you must really be driving that thing to need the first service in less than six days...:bow:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts