The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who among us has purchased the Kold-Fire 270 ECU flash upgrade? Please share your thoughts. Is there any seat-of-the-pants difference? Is it a slight difference, big difference or barely feel anything different at all?

Your impressions would be helpful to determine if the differential is worth the $995.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I was going to wait about a month of so until I posted about the 270 reflash but then this thread came up. Here are my preliminary results...

I just put in my Kold-Fire 270 reflashed ECU about a week ago. I've driven the car about 100 miles so far. In my opinion the reflash is definitely worth the $995.

My car now pulls a lot harder. To me it feels like an entirely different car. Also, the car has not stumbled a single time while idling. Also no stalling.

I'm now trying to see what my mpg will be like. So far on the current tank it looks like my mpg is about the same. But it should be noted that I have had quite the lead foot with this tank, too. So my mpg testing will wait a few tanks after my right foot has calmed down. ;)

So IMHO, there is a big difference. More power (and torque) without adding any weight is always a plus!

As a disclaimer, I should mention that I installed an RLS intercooler at the same time as the reflashed ECU. I also do not have a financial stake in any of this.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I think this was already addressed by Kold-Fire.

Won't matter to me though because I had a spare ECU reflashed. ;)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Get a spare ecu to flash. Or maybe borrow your stock one for a day and drive down OC for the test :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only one person has the Kold-Fire.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Thanks MR2, I'm glad you're happy with with everything:up:

G- I don't know what to tell you... I know i have personally flashed many ecus for folks on this forum and Dave more than I using kold-fire. The fact that they don't post about it much is likely due to the multitude of pissing matches about tunes on other threads or it's that they're generally happy with the product and don't see a reason to complain about it... You'll notice that most posts on a forum are about problems and not about praise. In addition, there are really only about 30 active posters:eek:Lol

Luke, the man behind koldfire, has been tuning lotus ecus longer than anyone. He's also currently a factory tuner for both VW and BMW still to this day... He's very good at tuning, as it is his is sole profession. He is able to combine his experience tuning every lotus motor combination including that found in the Evora with his software and build whatever you like...

Almost every kold fire tune I've done so far was a custom one... Each customer had something unique about their car and we were able to build a tune to suit. Our tuning database/experience is THAT deep.

I encourage anyone to give us a try... We do the flash right here in our shop. Everyone that deals with me knows that I work hard to ensure you get what you pay for and a koldfire tune is no exception....

Thanks,

Phil

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Any worries passing CA emissions testing?
Should be no problem....all readiness codes remain active and we don't kill any compensating sensory inputs...

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I am seriously looking into getting a tune. Been reading up on the Kold-Fire and the Gotham tune. Don't really know which one to go with. There seems to be a lot of pissing matches going on in different forums over the two. Maybe I'll start another thread asking people's opinions on the two. Sorry, don't mean to thread jack....

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Butters,

Dave did back-to-back testing of the 270 tune, the stock 240 tune, and a gotham tune and found more power with his Kold-Fire tune. He posted the results on another KF 270 thread. Was on the same dyno, same car, same day. There are plenty of customers who are happy with either tune.

We're happy to help you with the 270 tune should you choose to go this path. We can tweak the tune as well to accomodate special requests within reason for no additional charge. We leave the readiness codes in place, have full cam, ignition timing, and fuel control and customize those parameters to safely bring the engine to more horsepower...

Take care,

Phil

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was going to wait about a month of so until I posted about the 270 reflash but then this thread came up. Here are my preliminary results...

I just put in my Kold-Fire 270 reflashed ECU about a week ago. I've driven the car about 100 miles so far. In my opinion the reflash is definitely worth the $995.

My car now pulls a lot harder. To me it feels like an entirely different car. Also, the car has not stumbled a single time while idling. Also no stalling.

I'm now trying to see what my mpg will be like. So far on the current tank it looks like my mpg is about the same. But it should be noted that I have had quite the lead foot with this tank, too. So my mpg testing will wait a few tanks after my right foot has calmed down. ;)

So IMHO, there is a big difference. More power (and torque) without adding any weight is always a plus!

As a disclaimer, I should mention that I installed an RLS intercooler at the same time as the reflashed ECU. I also do not have a financial stake in any of this.
Any update on the impact of MPG's with the new ECU? :cool:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would be interested in additional feedback from other people who have purchased this tune! Surely more than one person has it at this point!?

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
We've flashed a lot of them. Truly. Problem is that most just aren't on the forum. They seem to find us via our website and not the forum??? I'm sure they would post some comments if I asked, but that's not really my style.

I know I've mentioned this in the past, but if you're not happy, we'll reflash back to stock or tweak the tune until you are happy with it:up: It's very important to me/us that you're perfectly satisfied. I've been around here too long and made too many friends through the Lotus world to feel otherwise...

Thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you're referring to the Gotham tunes, there's a lot of very good feedback on this forum, just search around.
Nope that wasn't what I was looking for, thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have it and feels great, Customer service is top notch.

I have a cell that just came on while on my way to store my car for winter time.... so I will need to see if it's related to the re-flash since no other major mods on the car except for a 2ubular exhaust and a RLS intercooler.

Idle is better than stock and yes you feel the extra power. $ well spent IMHO.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Anyone else running the Kold-Fire 270 tune? - Any C.E.L. problems?:cool:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm interested in this tune, but agree there is not enough positive feedback. I have emailed Charlie at Gotham several times with no reply. Is he not doing ecu work anymore ?

The blade 275 looks good, but I have PPE headers, and they specify stock headers for this reflash !

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
In all fairness to us/me, do you see a lot of negative feedback? The feedback that there is has been very positive... Just flip through the KF threads. There are several there are several positive feedbacks. We have done dozens, not hundreds of various tunes, so feedback is obviously going to be limited relative to the hundreds of identical Katana tunes floating around for instance.

The forum has the same several folks comprising of the majority of the threads and posts.

People tend to post about problems and rarely post about stuff that is working just fine;)... Fact is that you'll find a lot more CEL issues with CX tuned cars than you will with KF tunes. That's not to say CX tunes are bad, there are just a lot more of them, so there are going to be more problems that arise with those cars. It's just a numbers game on that point... 9/10 CELs from on a car with OR without an aftermarket tune are not necessarily the "tune's fault". It's usually an issue with a custom parameter or something particular about a car.

The times we've discovered something unique about a car setup after the tune was done, we've always modified the tune for no charge. I've typically just swapped the ECU, so there's not even down time for you due to shipping ECUs back and forth. I just send a new ECU with a revised tune and that takes care of it on the few instances a tune needed a revision... If the CEL was due to a setup discrepancy that required custom work, we tune until it's right at no charge and just ask for help on the shipping, which seems reasonable.

There simply isn't a better tune going for the stock ECU than what Luke puts together (Luke started Kold-Fire). Keep in mind the KF270 tune makes more power than the Gotham tune. Same car, same dyno, same day testing. Dave did the testing back to back on a dynojet and posted the results...

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ok, this might be a stupid question, but I can't seem to find an exact answer...Does an ECU reflash/retune void remaining warranty?

Sorry if there is like a whole thread about this, but I can't seem to find it via google and I can't ever find anything using the vBullitin search function.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts