The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our customer's Exige S stock exhaust came apart right after the cat while at the road course this weekend. Has this happened to anyone else before/is this a common problem? If so we'll need to find a sturdier unit. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Its a Lotus...bits are SUPPOSED to fall off...:p

Did the clamp fail or break? What exactly does "came apart right after the cat" entail?

Q

·
0 Posts
The cats are prone to cracking. I'm sure the added stress of tracking helped it along.

There have been a number of cat failures noted here on the board.

Have it replaced, or go aftermarket and save weight.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Put me down as having that EXACT failure happen to my Stage 2 ............

·
Registered
255 Posts
My stage 2 fell apart only after a year. It seems the internals just disintegrated

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Our customer's Exige S stock exhaust came apart right after the cat while at the road course this weekend. Has this happened to anyone else before/is this a common problem? If so we'll need to find a sturdier unit. Thanks in advance for any help.
yes its a bad design there needs to be a flex joint i know of two cars that burned down and were a total loss. carl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah we had some underbody melting unfortunately. Will definitely be going with some sort of flex joint here in the future, thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
381 Posts
my aftermarket cat/ubend glow after hard driving (S240)... from sounds of this post, the original cat gets a lot of heat also... may be my problem is 'normal'

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Very common problem, i had mine crack at the same spot. I recommend adding the forcedfed enginge dampner this will reduce engine movement. My 255 cup car exhasut has come loose four times and has melted the wheels liners . When you lose power and the exhaust pitch changes pull back into the pits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts