The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw Tire Rack now offers these wheels for the Elise.

1) Has anyone installed them on their car?

2) Does anyone know the weight of these?

3) Are they cast/forged and what kind of quality are they?

I like the black center with polished lip design which you do not see on many wheels for the Elise.

Any insight or photos of the wheels on an actual Elise are much appreciated.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=wheelCloseUp&wheelMake=TRMotorsport&wheelModel=F1&wheelFinish=Black+w/Mach+Lip

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
interested as well

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Right when these came out, I talked to TireRack.com about them, and they told me they were heavier than SSR Competition. SSR Competition is lighter and more inexpensive. I don't see (other than if you like the looks way more) why one would choose these over SSR Competition.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cpforyou said:
Right when these came out, I talked to TireRack.com about them, and they told me they were heavier than SSR Competition. SSR Competition is lighter and more inexpensive. I don't see (other than if you like the looks way more) why one would choose these over SSR Competition.
I live in NYC and drive daily over harsh roads. I am concerned with the durability of the SSRs. I do like the look of these as well. What do you think is the nicest/strongest wheel that is moderately priced (I know there are many nice and strong ones for $3 grand but I do not want to spend that much).

·
Registered
979 Posts
BTW, did the price on the SSR comps drop or is that just a sale price? Seems cheaper than they used to be.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I bought a set of SSR rims from the Tire Rack in April '06. They were $319 for the front and $389 for the rear sizes.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
btw, SSR stands for Super Soft Rims :D they might be okay with the 15/16 combo but i would worry any once you get into the 17" range.

I got a set of SSR comps once not believe what i've heard about them, i bent a rim in the first hour of putting them on, and i always had aftermarket wheels before and never bent any....

·
Registered
722 Posts
Imolas54 said:
btw, SSR stands for Super Soft Rims :D they might be okay with the 15/16 combo but i would worry any once you get into the 17" range.

I got a set of SSR comps once not believe what i've heard about them, i bent a rim in the first hour of putting them on, and i always had aftermarket wheels before and never bent any....
exactly. But nobody here will listen.

http://www.villacorte.com/miata/ssr-comp-problems/

of course it's going to be light when you make a wheel out of swiss cheese

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Might be true, but I've used 15" SSR Competitions (Type Cs) on my Civic for a couple of years, no problems.

I have two sets of SSR Competitions for my Elise and, knock-on-wood, I've been fine so far.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'm banking on the fact that our car weighs about half of most cars is gonna help keep SSRs from bending.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Again.....anyone install these yet?:shrug:

·
Registered
566 Posts
These???

I had the polished lip painted black and added a red stripe.

Rubber is Bridgestone RE01-R....205/45-16 front and 235/40-17 rear.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Who sells ssr's in 15 & 16 for the elise? carl

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You can get the SSR wheels in a 15x7" size with a +30mm offset. However, I don't think they make 16x8.0.

One could opt for the 15/17 combo using SSR wheels.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have a set, I got them through BWR. Great service, they came mounted w/ tires and balanced, I can't say anything negative about them. The Tirerack site gives a good example, I don't have any good pics right now. I have been thinking about painting the silver rim as well.
If you get a set..... enjoy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts