The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got some vette guy running his mouth that a z06 would hand any elise its backside.....anyone have any video's?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I'm downloading a 40MB file of a C5 in front of what might be an Exige. The Exige probably wins in the corners, and the C5 on the straights. If you have AIM, or MSN, send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I can transfer it to you that way.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Coming soon to a parking lot near you!

We can only hope that in their infinite wisdom the SEB classifies the Elise in SS and doesn't bump it directly to ASP...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I have the video of the Lotus vs the C5 Corvette. However, it may not win an argument since it may not be a Z06 and the Corvette is faster on the straights.

I think it will be a fair fight. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
As Randy said, there is a video floating around out there, but it's a Motorsport Elise watching the backside of a street LT1 vette take a lap of the 'ring, and the Vette does alright in the curves (straights aren't really a contest). The Elise driver gets close a few times but never manages to pass. The Z06 isn't to be trifled with - it's a very capable machine in any situation.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the z06 is capable, we race SMII against some national calibre drivers and have a hard time staying in front...and we're friends with a very capable vette driver Danny Popp.....but this guy is a dork and I was looking for a quick video or something to shut him up a bit. The argument started over someone posting a comparo for the Cobra R vs the Sun Elise...the Elise won. This guy said that maybe the Elise could beat a mustang...but NEVER a corvette, you know the type. Anyway, twas just an internet trifle I got caught up in. Ive had a good night of sleep and have woken up with more sense this morning. :)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
demi said:
The Elise driver gets close a few times but never manages to pass.
You have to remember that in almost any video at the Ring, the whole point is to follow the car in front of you. While the Vette had no problem pulling away on the faster sections, the Elise seemed to close the gap up with the same ease under braking and through the corners.

Just as a point of reference and conversation, here's a link with a number of lap times for the Nuburgring:

http://home3.swipnet.se/~w-32546/nbring/laptimes%20for%20different%20cars.htm

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Even though the track is very technical (and scary), it still requires some horsepower to return low lap times. If you like driving tracks such as that, the Elise is totally the wrong car IMO.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
If you think the Elise would be bad at the Ring, you should try an A-class diesel Mercedes rental!

While it is definitely a track that rewards high hp cars with better lap times, I had a blast driving the poor diesel rental car around as fast as I could. The point is that anything will be fun there, hell, it's just fun to wander around the parking lot at the cafe.

I was fortunate to have a friend with an M3 Sport Evo let me drive it around the Ring while there on vacation. The M3 of course was literally made for that track, and so even more entertaining.

High hp is only important if you feel some need to turn a sub-10 minute lap. I figure I got more value for my $12 turning 15 minute laps in the A-class...
full of luggage...
in the rain...
:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Elise in the video on the Ring was an Motorsport Elise with 200 hp. But the Ring is not the road/track for the Elise. You need to go on B-roads where no other car can keep with you, never mind the motorcycles who dont even get a chance to keep with you ;)
Beat that fat vette on the twisty bits where it shouldnt be any problem at all. Go to a mountain area and have FUN. I drove the **** out of some motorcycles there and some very fast cars (Subura Sti/Porsche/and some locals in there hot hatches)

The record on the Ring is 7.19 ;) for a roadgoing car in production.
A radical SR3 Turbo (GET ME ONE, but it has the same price as a Porsche.....)
320 hp - 1100lbs :D:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts