The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Hagerty is great for classic/antique cars. You may be limited on how many miles per year you can put on your car. No experience with Voyager.

What type of car are you insuring?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Oh, I see you are going to be getting an Elise soon based on your other thread. Why Hagerty? They certainly do provide "exotic" car insurance but they will limit the number of miles that you will be able to drive your car each year. They are a "collectible car" insurance agency and want you to collect your car some dust on it, not collect it some miles where you might actually crash and need them to pay out. Now having said that they are an excellent "collector" car insurance company.

If you plan on actually driving your Elise, look at the more "modern" insurance agencies.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It'd be for an Elise. The Elise is going to be a second car for me and living in the Boston area I would absolutely have to be very selective where I drive it. 3K miles is pushing it, if I could get away with 5K a year that would be great but I like most other people with a head am not into insurance fraud if that is what that would be. They quoted me at about $550/year for the policy. I am 25 y/o so that price is extremely attractive. And what if it did collect dust but I was in an accident? Is it possible they might give me a hard time about a claim? That is the last thing I would want. I appreciate the help!

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I use Hagerty for the Noble and recommend them. Rob from Hagerty joined our forum here too.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have used Hagerty for a number of cars - 1952 Morgan +4, 1960 Studebaker Lark, 1970 Porsche 914/6, 1971 Morgan +8, 1971 VW Karmann Ghia, and 2006 Lotus Exige. Hagerty policies are straight forward and provide great value, IMO. Also, I experienced very good customer service when insuring cars and handling policy administration matters, but luckily I never filed a claim and am unable to address that aspect.

The only caveat to Hagerty's coverage is restrictions on use and annual miles driven.

For those reasons, I switched my '06 Exige to my daily driver auto policy (coverage is $1,200 per year versus Hagerty's $800) and '71 Karmann Ghia as well (now $300 versus Hagerty's $60) so my wife and I can drive them at will.

I recommend Hagerty. :up:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I use Hagerty as well. I drive <6k a year, so no problems there. Policy was inexpensive and is full coverage year round (no need to switch to "garage insurance" if you have 4 seasons) I have not made a claim, but their staff seems to be several times better in terms of customer service and friendliness than other companies I've dealt with (AAA, GMAC, Farmers) The mileage is a number you determine, and it did not seem to be a hard number when I set it up. I.e., as long as you're not blowing way past it, you should not have to worry about making a claim...but I'll reiterate I have not needed to make a claim yet.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have Hagerty coverage on my 2-11, State Farm on the Esprit and Elise.
No complaints on Hagerty. They were very pleasant to deal with and offered a very decent rate. Do not know how they will be if a claim is filed but from a few others who have them I have not heard any complaints as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i have used hagerty for several cars including the lotus. i've never had an accident so i can't say too much. they are easy to deal with for everything else though.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I checked a quote with Haggerty and my price with Geico was actually cheaper with no restrictions!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I have Hagerty coverage on my 2-11, State Farm on the Esprit and Elise.
No complaints on Hagerty. They were very pleasant to deal with and offered a very decent rate. Do not know how they will be if a claim is filed but from a few others who have them I have not heard any complaints as well.
A quick little note for you in case you didn't know: Hagerty's policy does not cover your car on the track. Just pointing that out because you have a 2-11 and that is where I would commonly expect to find such a car and as evidenced by your avatar. I have their exclusionary language somewhere if you'd like me to post it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
:up: for Hagerty, however they want proof of insurance for a daily driver. I have no agreed mileage, the idea is that it's only an occasional use car (I'm about 5000 miles a year). It's also an agreed value policy and my deductable is really low.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Hagerty is a quality company
+1

I would rather give them my business than Geico.

One small point, they do read this forum.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Have heard no complaints about Hagerty....now GEICO, that's another story...Just guess who is one of the major lobbying organizations promoting radar detector bans? Must be nice to raise insurance rates on all those evil speeders (who don't increase your claims risk at all, just increase your bottom line.) ...Dave

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I have had Hagerty insure my Elan for years and have the Caterham with them as well. I have not had to make any claims, but their customer service is great as well as the road side service of which, unfortunately, I have had to use it a few too many times:wallbang:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hmm sounds interesting I have 2 cars, 1 dd banger, 1 elise,, I am paying to commerce 3800k a year, I only use it peak 3000 miles/year...So maybe I should check em out instead of making commerce rich!!!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Nevermind, Hagerty does not cover in MA cars younger then 25 years....damn!
Probably due to that state's insurance regs. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the market. I know that the market was a real mess when the State set rates for all companies.

I was going to suggest Grundy, but I just checked their site and they had the same 25-year restriction in MA until recently - now it's 15. It's gotta be something with the State. Maybe they feel that it's unfair competition for other standard carriers. :shrug: Sorry about that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts