The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got my car the gas cap ahs not screwed in properly. It has beena weird experience. At first I though like everyone else that I was not turning it hard enough, but I was wrong. The cap turns, but for some reason the threads don't catch, and therefore no matter how hard I twist the cap, you can still easily pull it loose. Needless to say that this keeps throwing a Check Engine Light which is more of an annoyance than anything else. I was wondering if anyone else had a problem like this or if I was the only person to have suffered a defective cap or fill stock.

Between the front end repairs, and this little problem, the turbocharging has not begun.... I am antsy to get it started.

I also feel the need to say that I have never heard of a gas cap that doesn't screw into a car. It seems like such a simple thing, I am worried about other things like this being defective.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
There are likely to be more involved problems with the turbo package but you probably realize this already.

Why not get a new gas cap from Lotus? Or if the dealer is not close they could Fedex it to you. Or you can find a x-ref in a local autoparts store. I brought the cap into a car parts store and they recognized the style right away. I can't recall what it was but it was cheap and in stock. Didn't buy it though.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Mean TT said:
I have never heard of a gas cap that doesn't screw into a car.
You do know that the cap doesn't "screw". It is inserted into the slots, and then turned about a quarter turn and the "handle" clicks. I was surprised that it didn't turn too - first time I had encountered a "non-screwing" cap in about 20 years.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stan said:
There are likely to be more involved problems with the turbo package but you probably realize this already.

Why not get a new gas cap from Lotus? Or if the dealer is not close they could Fedex it to you. Or you can find a x-ref in a local autoparts store. I brought the cap into a car parts store and they recognized the style right away. I can't recall what it was but it was cheap and in stock. Didn't buy it though.
I am getting a new lotus cap and filler stock. It is a warrenty issue as far as I am corcerned. It should not have happened.

As for the turbo package... I will worry about it. It is my problem. Read below...

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
>Anyone having gas cap problems

nope, three clicks CW and it's on solid. :shrug:

-doma

1 - 5 of 5 Posts