The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, what were the circumstances? My dealer has mentioned that 1 second over 4500 rpm duing the first 500 miles voids the warranty. I know that's not true - I think it's just what he says to people before test drives to keep them from abusing the demo car, but it leaves me wondering where the line is drawn.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
To void the warranty, it would probably have to be some catastrophic engine fault where an autopsy showed that high rpms were the direct cause of the engine failure. They'd probably then look back at the record to see if there break-in violations and how often and sever they were.

I haven't heard of any engine fails or oil leaks, so I don't think they may have been any warranties voided -yet. Lotus probably isn't going to void a warranty at the first service because you hit 6,000 rpm for five seconds at mile 423.

·
Registered
92 Posts
hmm

after about 300 miles i ripped into the car a bit harder - i never redlined through gears but I would like 2nd or 3rd hit redline once in a while after the car was plenty warmed up - like on a highway entrance ramp or something. After 600 miles i did it a bit more often but still stayed away from really rowing through the gears - that being said i definitely redlined her a a few times - i also spent probably a good 700 of my first 1000 miles on the highway so she got a lot of breakin time too.

the dealer didn't mention a thing - said my averages we're well withen acceptable

i wouldn't worry

you paid 50k have a bit of fun - just know you'll have more fun after 1k :)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I spent significant time over 4500 RPM, including 17 seconds over 7000 RPM in my first 1300 miles (44 hours of total engine run-time). I hit the rev limiter, too, multiple times; no problem according to my dealer. My dealer said they looked primarily at standing starts (I had zero) and sustained time above 4500. Short bursts were not a problem, so I was fine.

I still don't driver her above 4500 consistently except for short autoX runs, and I think I have only done one standing start (if that) dropping the clutch at 6500 RPM.

Common sense is all it takes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
howas the launch at 6500? I tried my first launches yesterday - 4k = bog but like 5000-5500ish was buttery smooth with just a brief wheel spin/skid

such fun

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wait until you do a drop above 6k... Tell me if you get any wheel hop. I'm curious.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
>Anyone hear of a voided warranty due to improper break-in?

Well ... I picked up my car from the dealer and drove it straight home; but I didn't find out that the vehicle needed a 1,000 mile service till I arrived home.

The drive from the dealer's to my house was a little over 3,200 miles.

:(

The 'dealer' I got it from wasn't a lotus dealer but rather a used car dealer specializing in mid to higher end cars (ferraris, lotus, rovers, etc). All he told me was that he heard I should not go over 6,000 rpm until 1,000 miles had passed. I think he didn't know that the car was supposed to have a service at 1,000 miles too so I don't fault him - I blamed myself for not reading up on the car before getting it.

Anyway - once I got home I took the car to my local Lotus dealer for the service and when I mentioned my milage and my concern to the tech both his eyebrows went up, he chuckled, and his assistant made some joke about how this would be his first engine replacement. I asked him if I screwed up the car and he said 'probably not'. Not reassuring.

Thy did the service, the data dump, and test drove it. He said everything was fine.

I asked specifically about my warrenty and he said it was 'no problem' and that the warrenty 'was NOT voided'.

A minute later I pressed him again and he repeated that the warrenty is intact and that I shouldn't worry.

Now... if my engine blows up tomorrow will they feel the same way? I don't know. But for now they seem to think I still have my warrenty.

-doma

Incidently I never even went over 5,000 rpm on the whole drive and never did a standing start. After 3,200 miles the oil was still crystal clear, and the engine sounds great and seems fine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well I haven't seen many incidents of Celica owners blowing up their motor under similar conditions as yours. Some were having problems with their motors due to oil pump failures (caused by reving it hard). As long you weren't abusing the motor you shouldn't lose sleep.

Every car is different since they have a few components which aren't alike. I'm sure you'll be okay though.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure it won't 'blow up' on me. What I mean is if something (anything) motor related goes wrong will they perhaps point to the milage issue and claim a voided warrenty. So far however, the dealer says my warrenty is intact.

-doma

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
doma said:
Yeah, I'm sure it won't 'blow up' on me. What I mean is if something (anything) motor related goes wrong will they perhaps point to the milage issue and claim a voided warrenty. So far however, the dealer says my warrenty is intact.

-doma
Maybe you should look into getting it in writing. Although I think ultimately, the last word on the validity of the warranty would come from Lotus and not the dealer. On the rare occasions that I've dealt with warranty disputes, it's the manufacturer's rep and not the dealer that makes the decision.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh okay I see.

As the miles pass without incident I don't think they will be able to build a valid case. Let's hope.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Why is it that the Celica doesn't require any type of break in and we do? Because we have a different PCM? Come on Lotus. I am taking it easy, but don't worry if you bump it up every so often. Besides, the laws state that in order to void a warranty, the OEM needs to show conclusive evidence that what you did caused the engine failure. I doubt this all incompassing clause that we have could ever stand up in a court of law. BTW-my dealer laughs at that requirement and references his demo that was driven like a bat out of hell from day one. It stills runs great.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
The break-in rules seem fairly liberal compared to other companies that specify instructions, with the exception of the 1000 mile service to validate the warranty. For example, it is hardly ever mentioned that can be too sympathetic.

·
Registered
79 Posts
chotto said:
Why is it that the Celica doesn't require any type of break in and we do? Because we have a different PCM? Come on Lotus. I am taking it easy, but don't worry if you bump it up every so often. Besides, the laws state that in order to void a warranty, the OEM needs to show conclusive evidence that what you did caused the engine failure. I doubt this all incompassing clause that we have could ever stand up in a court of law. BTW-my dealer laughs at that requirement and references his demo that was driven like a bat out of hell from day one. It stills runs great.
You are completely correct. Vantage is too though... Once we see people actually being refused for warranty service I guess the situation will be under careful review by the consumer. They could be more liberal than it appears up front.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
about the 1000 mile service...
isnt the only thing that they could void a warranty claim for is if u dont get the oil changed??
i mean, what do they do at that 1k service besides change the oil that would lead to a failure that would trigger a warranty claim?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
evomind said:
about the 1000 mile service...
isnt the only thing that they could void a warranty claim for is if u dont get the oil changed??
i mean, what do they do at that 1k service besides change the oil that would lead to a failure that would trigger a warranty claim?
It seems that the big deal is that Lotus wants the data dump from your ECU to see if you followed the break-in instructions.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Sorry, out of pocket for the last few days. When I launched at 6500, I had a chirp and away I went. It was enough of a chirp that it left a great burning rubber smell. But I launch from autoX starts at 5K routinely and get the same effect. I haven't had the nerve/balls/stupidity (you pick) to launch at 8K.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Here's my take...

If you go in for your 1000 miler at 3200 miles and the dealer says 'warranty not voided' then this means the dealer is saying 'I'll submit a claim to Lotus for repairs even if you didn't change it until 3200 miles.' This could vary from dealer to dealer. If the engine suffers catastrophic failure, Lotus may want the original ECU readout. Who knows if the ECU records mileage, but since you were nice on RPMs it shouldn't show high RPMs.

UK businesses tend to not be sophisticated enough to want to store complete service histories for thousands of Elise owners. Lotus will probably not question the dealer's ruling unless something really weird happened.

Of course, one dealer could say yes, and another could say no.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts