The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to network with graphic arts types who create 3D models, animation, footage, etc. Not your typical SolidWorks stuff, but more along the lines of 3DStudioMax, etc. Was wondering if anyone here is involved in that space and planning on being at the show. My company is developing a 3D capture device that may be useful to that industry, but we're trying to understand the market better. Thx.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
buy Autodesk products, it's good for you!

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I've gone every year since 2000. Will be there again this year.

I write software for the post production industry which means I'll be in classes all the days that I go (rather than on the showroom floor; though I will almost assuredly make it to the emerging arts display at some point).

FWIW, I was a partner at my last company (we were a plug-in developer). We had a booth one year. I'd be happy to share my experiences with you.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I wish I could go :(

I went in 1979, 1993 through 2002, and 2007. I was on the conference committee in 2000 :D

LA loves SIGGRAPH -- brings a lot of cash into the city and the LACC owes its internet infrastructure to the conference.

The best parties always take place when the conference is in LA ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i go sometimes, we use some 3d input devices for our video game dev.
I wish we had something that worked in real-time for game use. Instead, it's more for taking 3D pictures / models that ultimately make their way in to a game than as an interface for the game itself.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
yeah thats what we use it for, not for game play but for model creation when the artists are being lazy and the new super high polygon count cards came along :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah thats what we use it for, not for game play but for model creation when the artists are being lazy and the new super high polygon count cards came along :)
Well, those lazy artists are our target audience. You don't seem to have a PM link. Can you PM with with contact info, I'd love to chat if you can spare the time.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
This thread is taking me back to memory lane.

It's been about 20 years since I've been /worked the Siggraph show.

Worked for a game company a few years back. Had the artist, programmers and I was part of a small hardware team. Waay back when the VoodooII was the hot graphics chip. Was a fun company while it lasted.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This thread is taking me back to memory lane.

It's been about 20 years since I've been /worked the Siggraph show.

Worked for a game company a few years back. Had the artist, programmers and I was part of a small hardware team. Waay back when the VoodooII was the hot graphics chip. Was a fun company while it lasted.
I know the feeling. I used to go to Semicon annually in a previous life, but haven't been there in well over 10 years.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
charlie @ the first web address in my sig.

i remember when agnus was the hot graphics chip, and well a lot of em before that.

always remember the day when brian from 3dfx turned up with the very early 3dfx cards and none of us believed him, ahh days gone by.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
In 1979, the exhibition floor had less than 100 booths. There were probably an equal number of booths showing vector displays and raster displays. The Xynetics flatbed pen plotter was one of the most impressive pieces of technology on the floor. A new method of scene rendering called "Ray Tracing" didn't make into the conference proceedings and was published as a separate addendum. Mr. Jim Blinn (not yet Dr.) presented a cool paper on bump mapping and taught a course CG fundamentals. I believe conference attendance was around 1100-1200 people.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
It'd have been awesome to be at the early siggraphs and seeing jim and the others doing those early presentations. i've got his books and stuff but hardly the same, i always hope to bump into at microsoft or something one day.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Oh no you didn't just bring up a reference to the all mighty Amiga!! :nanner2:

charlie @ the first web address in my sig.

i remember when agnus was the hot graphics chip, and well a lot of em before that.

always remember the day when brian from 3dfx turned up with the very early 3dfx cards and none of us believed him, ahh days gone by.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Started my career with one of those raster companies, that had been acquried by a French pen-plotter company.

After Acclaim Coin-op, was on to a start up- Raycer Graphics. When that one folded, Apple picked up the design team. Had a offer from them... but passed.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
poor old acclaim, they're still selling the rights around and talk of new games on the old licenses, but then they always do.

we probably know a lot of the same people larry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts