Discussion Starter #1
Fabrics and such...

Sport-type fabrics?

Thanks,

Q

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
My GF's parents own a few sweatshops.... Er, i mean factories....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Does latex count? I worked for Vandelay Industries for a short time.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/srblGY3trSk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/srblGY3trSk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay... this is NOT Lotus related... but I been given a project to work on.

Background...

For those of you that don't know, my son, Hunter, is disabled from birth and is bedridden. His legs are quite deformed because he cannot move them and his ankle bones are pressing against his skin and breaking it down. Even though he is repositioned regularly and given support pillows, the pressure of his bone is causing the skin to get pretty thin.

One of his nurses wants to sew a little pair of shoes (or booties) to provide some buffer between his feet and the bedsheets. We can't use regular shoes because his feet are too deformed.

An additional problem is that he cannot regulate his temperature very well, so he switches from hot and sweaty to cold and clammy very frequently.

Whatever I come up with needs to be very breathable, washable, and thick enough to provide some padding. It can even be a thinner material. Perhaps I could procure a little silicone pad or gel inserts to velcro or stick inside the bootie on the one area that needs the most cushioning and protection.

For those that have small pets, there is a brand of harness called Puppia.

I was thinking that maybe the material that Puppia harnesses are made from might work. Puppia calls it "air-mesh"

I've spent some time trying to find a source for air-mesh fabric online. My searches have only come up with manufacturers in China.

This afternoon I sent a request one of the national reps for Puppia directly to see if he could get me some fabric, but I'm pretty sure the harnesses are made in China.

The reason I asked for a textiles engineer is that maybe he/she could come up with an alternative material that his durable, soft, washable, and breathable. Preferably something synthetic. Again nothing that traps heat and moisture (i.e., Neoprene) Fleece is too warm as is batting or lamb's wool.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
A lot of "performance" clothing are made from breathable material and designed to wick away sweat and are relatively comfortable. All the sports companies carry this type of material: Nike, Addidas, Under Armor, North Face, etc... I play tennis twice/week using Nike's Dri-Fit shirt and itaccumulates no sweat whatsoever. The material is pretty thin since its a form of some sort of polyester.

If you want something thicker, Only thing i can think of is base layer material found in the skiing industry which are designed to wick away sweat. I personally use Under Armor base layering since its stretchy, breathable, and wicks away sweat and provides temperature management. They sell various thicknesses, so since you're in FL, a thinner material is probably ideal.
Under Armour ® | Men's ColdGear® Base 1.0 1/4 Zip | 1004650 | $44.99

Go take a visit to your local sports store and look for tags on the clothing claiming "wicks away sweat"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts