The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its getting warmer here so I decided to do a little Mountain Biking. I think its interesting to see various terrains from different states. Here's a little Kentucky trail,

Started in the pine forest trailhead,

Attachments

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Nice pics! Looks like some fun trails. I don't usually take my camera on my bike when I go, but here's a pic of a prototype bike rack I built for my MR2:

Looks like you have an odd setup for carrying the bike on your Miata. Is that custom?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like a cool set up there, reminds me of a set up I saw on a corvette once. How is the tray attached to your trunklid ( or hood as the case may be).

Mine is custom, I did some research and tracked down some insiders at Yakima who gave me some info that hepled me out. Turns out that Yakima did load testing for the miata hardtop back in the early 90's. Turns out that not many people wanted roof racks for miatas so they discontinued them. But, the fact remained, they DID do load testing and did determine that the rack was safe up to 300lbs.

I used to race for my local shop so I talked them into selling me some feet and letting me piece together my own kit. Yakima dealers are not supposed to sell any combinations not in the current Yakima book, but they let me do it, they just washed their hands of it should something happen. Ive been very happy with the set up, and have mounts for my snowboards, bikes and kayak. Its pretty funny when I have a kayak ontop as the kayak looks as big as the car.

Here's more of a closeup,

Attachments

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
That's cool about the hardtop...no drilling needed! I can only begin to imagine what the kayak looks like on it...or all the funny looks you get driving around with that. For the MR2, I attached the tray part with a single bolt through the engine cover (remember, the engine cover on the normally aspirated MR2s is steel, not composite as on the turbos). Yes, that meant drilling a hole in my car! To prevent rotation of the part, it was clamped to the engine cover vents at one end. The bike's forks mounted to your typical cam-action Yakima holder, which was secured to the rear sheetmetal with a couple l-brackets. Testing showed great lateral stability, but the engine cover would flex slightly at freeway speeds so the design was abandoned in favor of a simpler approach - remove both wheels, put wheels on towel on passenger seat, put frame in trunk, bungee cord trunklid to stay shut.

Then I got smart and just bought an old Subaru Wagon to use instead! ;)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
But the masses NEED to be able to haul around those 70 cubic feet of extra air everywhere they go! You never know when you might drive into a vacuum, and be glad you brought it with you.

Cade

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I used to mountain bike hardcore. There's a state park right across the street from me (about a 1 mile ride) with some killer trails. I haven't been in a couple years, though, since I demolished my bike on a trail called "El Diablo" LOL (true story!)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The only mountains around here are the old garbage dumps that they plant grass on and turn into parks. Everything else is flat and at sea level around here. Palm Beach has a nice scenic bike path that goes alongside all the mansions on the intercoastal, but no hills.

Are there any mountains in South Florida? I have heard of Mt. Dora and Zepher Hills in the middle of the state but have never been there to see if there are hills and mountains that might be fun to drive or bike on. It is fun to ride a non-mountain bicycle on the beach around Canaveral National Park, about 15 miles south of Daytona, it's used mainly by fisherman, the sand is packed really hard, is perfectly level, hardly anyone is there and you dont have to worry about cars or pedestrians.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey cool, good to see some other mountain bikers. Thanks for the ohio trail guide. I used to travel to ohio to ride around the cincy area and also raced alot up in the Zanesville area.

Mentioning Ohio makes me think of the last time I was up there riding. We drove for 3 hours to get to some really popular trails just north of Cincy. We had just unloaded our bikes and were getting ready to hit the trailhead when we met some younger guys in the parking lot. When they found out we were from KY they insisted showing us some of the "better" areas in the park.
First place they took us was a VERY steep downhill, we're talking butt back behind the seat touching rear wheel downhill.
The first guy insisted on taking it too fast ( to show off I think) and it was awful! He hit a root and lost control and his hands bumped off his brakes entirely and he was going full speed down this hill. He must have been going 45mph or more. At the bottom was a giant log and rocks. There was nothing we could, we watched helplessly as he rocketed down. I knew it was going to be bad. He hit the log at the bottom and flew into the rocks/bushes. We all started scrambling down the hill on our butts ( was too steep to walk) trying to get to him. He was moaning and crying so at least we knew he was still alive. His bike was broken in two and the front wheel was taco'd in two. He was laying there with a broken collar bone and ribs and arm. Somehow we managed to carry him out, bike and all. In true Mountain Biker fashion he was worried about leaving his bike, even though there was little left of it. My husband and the guys friend carried the injured rider and I carried/drug his bike along behind me. It took us only 20 minutes to get where the accident happened but over an hour to haul him out. The trails were around a large lake and as it turned out the fastest way back to the cars was to walk around the lake. We ended up walking through mud up to our ankles. Luckily there was a fisherman and his wife on the shore near where we were going and they saw us walking through the mud flats carrying the limp guy and knew something was obviously wrong so the fisherman made his way over to us along with his wife who thankfully was a nurse. We got the guys to their car and loaded him up and they thanked us and left. I joked with my husband that we drove 3 hours to get there and only rode for 20 minutes. Oh well, was a fairly exciting day.

Transio, Ive wrecked a few bikes, fell off a cliff once and broke my fork in two, but other than that Ive been pretty lucky ( knock on wood).

GabbaGabba, nice bike! :) I used to ride for Merlin Metalworks, I have a merlin XLM too. Small world!

Yeah, I used to ride semi pro, held the KY State championship title for 2 years. Ive ridden for Cane Creek, Sun Ringle, Rocky Mountain, Schwinn and Merlin. Problem was I got sort of burned out and we stopped riding. My husband has a Santa Cruz Heckler and also a Merlin XLM (that I picked up while still riding for them). We went out to California about this time 3 years ago and did some riding in Marin and around San Diego, when we got home I put my bike up and havent been on it much for years.

Now Im fat and out of shape and Ive decided to get back into it. GabbaGabba, or any of the rest of you, if you're ever in the Kentucky area give us a ring and we'll show you some cool trails around here.

xxxotic, I hear that a lot of people ride in strip mines and rock quarries down there. Good Elevation change, not much in the way of terrain, but would be a good workout.

Thanks
Jenn

·
Registered
302 Posts
I enjoy the good mountain and road biking Colorado has to offer. If you don't like climbing, don't come here to ride.

One of the favorite local road rides is the Triple Bypass, which rides over 3 mountain passes (highest is 12,000'+), features over 10,000' of climbing, and is about 120 miles. We get many out of state riders wishing to test their fitness level.

If anyone wants to join us on this ride this year, it's in mid July and we'd love to suffer with you.

Jeff

·
Registered
788 Posts
Thanks Jenn for the invite, I hope to take you up on your trail advice for KY.. but I need to get back in much better shape first. Hopefully a much needed vacation snowboarding in Colorado will help.

Wow, that's a pretty intense story. I have seen a few broken collar bones too, thankfully not my own. With your background I imagine you will be in shape in no time.

I was amazed the first time I rode my Merlin, Tsali Nat park.. woohoo :), coming from a rather hefty 30 lb. plus mnt bike, at what a difference a light bike makes for handling. No doubt the Elise will feel the same in a car way.

Getting an Elise is a bit of a mix blessing because I kinda feel any day nice enough to be driving a convertible might be better spent riding, either road or mnt. I'm guessing one drive will help me cure me of those guilt feelings.

Riding in Colorado is awesome, I hope to move out to Summit County one day. The altitude def. kicks ones A$$ if you are out of shape.

Jeff having an Elise in Colorado would be incredible with all of the canyon roads. I wonder how much the altitude is going to hurt the performance. I've heard up to 15 to 20 % decrease in HP. Any thoughts?

Ted

btw, I hope to never see this when out riding the canyons...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1295126

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ted

Yep, there's a very obvious loss of power at altitude. About 3% per 1000' is a close number for power loss. Turbo cars generally do better up here relative to NA cars. It's just one of the things we have to put up with for living near/in the mountains.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 23 Posts