The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to test drive the Elise last week under the 4,500 RPM limit so I have not got the "true experience" yet.

I am comparing both the Elise and S2000 and wanted to know if the "off the line" acceleration is significantly better in the Lotus. I know the reports say it goes 0-60 in 4.9 seconds (non sport package) which is about .6 seconds faster than the reported times for the S2000 (5.5 seconds). I also know that the 5.5 seconds in the S2000 is achieved by dropping the clutch at around 8K RPMs which will kill the clutch in not time at all. I certainly hope the 4.9 seconds with the Elise is not achieved by the same method as I will not be doing any of that with the car that I end up purchasing.

Also, please don't tell me that I should buy a Mustang or Corvette because of my 0-60 question. I realize the cornering and braking capabilities of the Lotus are much better than the S2000 which is why I am seriously considering the Elise (S2K is good as well).

My thoughts are that I will probably never track (or autocross) the car and will not push the limits on the open road as well. However, I will do spirited driving around town and want to know if the Elise will be that much better than the S2K in acceleration off the line.

Thanks for any relevant input...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
R&T in their road test actually got a 0-60 of 4.4 sec. in the elise but that was an 8k clutch drop as well I believe. Even using much milder starting revs. the car gets up and goes quite briskly, launch is quite respectable far as I'm concerned. It pulls quite well up through the gears as well.

Chris

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Chris I'm pretty familiar with S2000s as a buddy has one of the 2 liter versions. On the highway you basically need to downshift 2-3 gears to get some oompth if you're in 6th. How necessary are downshifts when cruising if you need to make a normal pass on the highway? How about at about 40 MPH on secondary roads when the road changes to a hill - mandatory downshift time? The S2000 has a really nice shifter - it needs it!!

Stan

·
Registered
687 Posts
From the July C/D:

0-60:
S2000: 5.5
Elise: 4.4

rolling 5-60:
S2000: 6.9
Elise: 5.8

Obviously, a clutch drop is involved with the 0-60 times.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Stan,
Depends on what RPMS and what gear your in really. I've never driven an s2000 so no frame of reference. It seems up through about 4th gear the car accelerates extremely quickly from relatively low rpms, say around 3500. Best is to get a test drive in one you can open up to see if it's to your liking.
Chris

·
Registered
643 Posts
I test drove both the Elise and the S2000 today. Acceleration was very similar, but of course I didn't get too deep into the cams on either vehicle. Starting either car from a standing start was about the same--high revs then slip the clutch to avoid bogging. Neither car is going to launch hard.

If all you are interested in is spirited driving, the S2000 would be plenty of car, and much easier to live with on a daily basis. It's more comfortable, quieter, more reliable and has 90% of the performance of the Elise.

Bottom line, test drive both and see which you like better.

Jim

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
heatmiser,

I leased an S2000 for three years, and had similar concerns to yours when considering the Elise. In 3 years, I went through 2 clutches because I drove the car hard ALL THE TIME. Fortunately, the second one lasted until I turned it back in, but BARELY.

Anyhow, I have only driven the Euro 111S Elise, and I can tell you that that car, with 120 hp, was similar in acceleration to the S2000, although its acceleration was more linear due to the static cams.

I haven't driven the Fed. Elise yet, but I expect it to perform LIKE an S2000 in that it will have a non-linear acceleration, only WAY BETTER. Basically, you could take it easy on the Elise and beat an S2000's best figures. That's what my instinct tells me.

·
shay2nak
25,042 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
R&T in their road test actually got a 0-60 of 4.4 sec. in the elise but that was an 8k clutch drop as well I believe. Even using much milder starting revs. the car gets up and goes quite briskly, launch is quite respectable far as I'm concerned. It pulls quite well up through the gears as well.

Chris
howcome they didn't report the time of 4.4s then? that would have effected the whole acceleration graph. In fact, if you check the test details, R&T says the best acceleration is acheived with an 8k clutch drop (as you write). If they say how to get the best time, why not report it? I thought the best time they got was 4.7. Now I'm seeing an AVERAGE 0-60 time for cars. Example in latest issue of C&D with the Aston DB9/Bentley GT/Ferrari 612/Merc CL600.

·
shay2nak
25,042 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Oops, my bad, I think it was actually C&D which came out before the R&T story.
Here's the link to the C&D article cover says::: 0-60 4.4 secs.

http://www.geocities.com/ndahi12/elise/elise.htm

Wow shay, too much caffeine today? :)
Chris
no not today. I have a rule...no Starbucks on Sundays. I did, however, think that you were talking about C&D. :p

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've test driven both, and the elise is quite a bit quicker. I'd say those rolling 5-60 times give an accurate depiction of the difference, as they take the clutch out of the equation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts