The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
This question has been asked several times on this forum already. If resell is important then get a nice used one that is in in the high 30 to mid 40s those are likely to bottom out and might appreciate in couple years. I got an Elise 10 years ago and drove it for 2 years. But I still sold it 3k more than I had brought it. I plan to keep my Evora S forever, so I brought it brand new. At this point in my life, enjoying time with my kids and cars are more important than resale value. Money can be made but money can't buy lost time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you are interested in a 400. Im considering letting go of mine in the 60's. With 2900 miles, metallic silver 6 speed. Locates in texas
The S cars will move into the mid 40s and NA into low 30s. The 400 will push down prices. Its not like the Elise where the car isn't for sale anymore much less introduced with improvements and upgraded power.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’m a price shopper and will travel to get a car. I got a 2017 400, silver with black pack for $69K on eBay and drove it home 525 miles. Sticker was just over $98K with the $2,000 black pack, $1,250 signature paint, subwoofer $550 and cruise control $450.

It only had 2,400 miles on it and was literally like new. He hadn’t even taken the plastic off the interior parts yet. Did put $1,400 into a clear paint film protector and a Ceramic coating. Most were listed in the mid to high $70K range 5 months ago.

I knew the car would depreciate so I worked to find the best deal that had what I wanted on it. If it costs me $10,000 in depreciation in the next 2 years it would be money well spent.

The car looks like an exotic super car and is so rare that hardly anyone knows what it even is until they walk around back to look. People rubber neck the car constantly and always comment or ask questions. How much is that car $300K? Uhh yeah sure.

Middle age men, young kids, old men, and all women get mesmerized by this car. And as fun as the Elise and Exige are they’re just too small for me and don’t have enough weight and substance if you get in a bad wreck. The Evora is a real sports car. It’s not crazy over powered like a McClaren 720S or a Hurrican. It won’t go sideways on you. Ever. Well, unless you put it in race mode and want to intentionally drift it.

Get the car... it’s worth it whatever it depreciates lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
I briefly owned (three days!) a '17 Evora 400 in Red, beautiful car! I paid $82K and the vehicle had low miles on it (less than $10K). The reason I returned the vehicle is another story for another post, but I will say I really regret letting her go. I've owned a lot of super high performance cars before and since that were quicker and/or faster, but nothing in a complete package that looked so exotic (and that includes a '15 Maserati Granturismo). So I've been on the lookout for a '17 or '18 Evora 400 since, but really want one in the hard to find red Alcantara interior, and if not that, at least the black or grey Alcantara interior. I'd also like to know what everyone does about upgrading the stereo. I know some of you will say, "Oh, I don't care about music, I just listen to the sound of the engine!", but this would be my DD and I need satellite radio, MP3 player, Bluetooth, and hopefully Androi Auto connectivity.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
I'd also like to know what everyone does about upgrading the stereo. I know some of you will say, "Oh, I don't care about music, I just listen to the sound of the engine!", but this would be my DD and I need satellite radio, MP3 player, Bluetooth, and hopefully Androi Auto connectivity.
Any aftermarket double-DIN headunit should fit. Not sure if they modified the trim opening on the 400s, but on the S1s, not all double-din units fit behind the facia. I would say most all Japanese mfgs will fit fine though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The early cars seem to have settled in at high 30s, low 40s for N/A versions and a bit higher for the S, with '10 and '11 cars at the low end. I'm interested in this question as well re the 400s, because I'd love to get into one, and back into a Lotus. My guess - and its only a guess - that we will start to see 400s dip into the 60s in the next year or so. That's not taking into account any significant events in the stock market or economy as a whole, which would lead to further softening of prices.
They're already in the 60s if you look around, I bought my Evora 400 for $67k, I think they're starting to bottom out at that price though, I feel they have room to deprecate more with the Evora GTs now avaliable, but I feel like they'll probably bottom out in the low 60s, considering the Evora S models seem to average in the 50s and the NA models bottomed out in the low 40s, high 30s.

·
Loves to talk
826 Posts
They're already in the 60s if you look around, I bought my Evora 400 for $67k, I think they're starting to bottom out at that price though, I feel they have room to deprecate more with the Evora GTs now avaliable, but I feel like they'll probably bottom out in the low 60s........
I won't argue with where they will bottom out since that's speculative and in any case, they're still in production in the form of the GT which tends to make prediction more difficult.

However, where I disagree is how GT prices have impacted resale of the 400.

I'll repeat....the GT has buoyed 400 prices, not impacted them negatively.

Example: You paid $67K for a (2 year old?) 400. You don't say if that's new or used, but let's say it's for a new previously unregistered car with 0 miles and a fresh warranty. That seems like a low water mark to me, but let's run with it. Do you see any used ones asking less than that price currently on the market? I don't. They're all stuck in the high 60s and low 70s now. Pre-owned since the leftovers are all but gone now.

In the next couple of years they may drop a bit more but lets say the average new price of a 400 settled at $75K plus or minus for most late buyers. I think that's reasonable. I mean, yours was cheep cheep if it was new, still decent value even if lightly used. Congrats on a sterling buy!

Now those are hard to find, are all previously registered and now two model years old. You can choose: a GT, the same base car or a 400 for tens of thousands less. And, you can handily exceed the GT's outright power for about $1000 with a tune. Now the new car isn't any faster. If you want, you can tart your car up with plenty of CF, new shocks, all manner of bits and pieces as you go. This narrows the cosmetic and weight differences to a large degree.

Is the GT worth $30-40K more for the nice colors, handsome interior, aero, CF and factory tune? To some it will be, especially first time buyers, but not to me. I'd buy the 70K like new car and have 95% of the experience for 70% of the money.

The GT has helped float 400 prices and the proof is in the market.

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
You are 100% correct. I was a low water mark purchaser for the S1 S variant. I got my 2011 S in May 2104, a fully loaded example which was $89515 in 2011. I got it for 60K in 2014. NEW. I watched prices sag a bit like they did on my Elise, but now I see the prices on the rise. I feel confident considering the condition and appropriate mods, that it is worth ~45-50K. Not bad for 6 summers of pleasure!!! The 400 propped up the S1. The GT props up the 400 etc. I ,also have my eye on a 2018 loaded bird if mine develops an issue...but I can't justify it outright as my S is set up with all the right goodies for track usage like new Ultradiscs etc. I have yet to be passed by any S2 variants. I love the S1 interior MUCH more than the flat dashed S2s to be honest.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Not worry at all. Evora GT is making Evora 400 look like a bargain right now. Only an average of 25 Evora 400 are for sale at any time. Only a handful are priced at the low 70s, doubt they will go under 70k unless miles increase on them. In the last 3 months about 25 2017 Evora 400 have sold at an average price of 74k. When they get listed in the low 70s they tend to sell fast. Of course, color and miles are a big factor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

I’m new to this forum.

I had a 2006 Lotus Elise a couple of years ago and loved it. Very fun car to drive. I’m back in the market and looking to spend $70-75k. I’ve seen a few 2017 Evora 400’s with low mileage and a manual tranny around that price point.

I cycle through cars pretty quickly, so the exit is always in the back of my mind.

With the GT’s available, thoughts on the hit on resale value for a 2017/2018?
This will be the lowest production car I’ve ever owned, and probably not high on people’s radar. For anyone that may have sold their Evora 400 (or know someone who may sold their car), seems like something that may take a bit longer to sell.

I know the location, timing, interest, price, etc plays a part in the equation. But, maybe there’s something else I’m not considering that someone else will chime in.

Hi. i love this forum but don't have time to post on it. nevertheless i have the best example of a truly individual and collectible 2005 Elise that is the only one i have ever seen or heard of in this color combination and it is the lowest mileage Elise i have seen posted.
it is a Bordeaux in color with Navy blue interior. they only made that color in 2005. Not many produced in that color at all and none that i know of with Navy interior. It is not red as some have wrongfully described some of these cars. it is beautiful wine color. it was a very low serial number as i got on the list early and bought it brand new (delivered in February 2006) It has every option available at that time (hard top, touring package protective invisible lining on bottom of portion of car, etc). The car only has 4,278 miles on it. I have more miles on my polishing rag than i do on the car. always garage kept. never driven in winter, snow, etc. everything is original and obviously in absolutely great shape. Very fun car that has been my baby. Selling it now to let someone else benefit from this truly collectible car and make room in the garage. $44,750. It will continue to go up in value, which was one of your concerns. Located in Utah. reach out to me at [email protected] if there is any interest.

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
Try the for sale zone. It is worth it if someone wants it. Indeed a unique and obviously based on its mileage, underappreciated example of a 2005. Love Bordeaux with tan interior. Have hardly ever seen the blue interior.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts