The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I'd love to. I thought about putting together a team, but I just don't think that I'd have the time to handle everything. If you put something together, I'd love to be involved, though I don't know how much car setup I could help with being so far away. I'd drive the pants off of it and could help out with the finances though...

--Josh

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Im probably in the same boat^^^. I could help us find a car.

But im not to sure on how they conclude your car only cost $500.

Are you aloud drinking in between stints. :lol:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I think i could probably talk a friend into this as well.

So thats 4 so far.

How many do we need. :D

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I've VERY interested. I'm in about the same boat as JWA though.

JWA and I could carpool down a couple of times if our base of operations is in OH. He could drive to me, park his car, and I could drive us to OH.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
I would be interested in this too, but I would have the same distance problems as JWA. At least JWA and I live close together.........

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think if we are really going to do this then we need to get a meeting together (conf call or meet in the middle.) with everyone, get a game plan, everyone get their assigned duties and go from there...

If you read over the rules you will see there is lots of prep work:
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/rules/
but I think if we split the costs between 4-6 people (thats what is required) then its not that bad.

We would have to register by July 5th.

Lets get a list going of names and locations and ill try to get a spot in the middle to meet to work on car. Thinking I might rent a space or something...

1. Cory Harpell - Shaker Heights, OH

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone that wants to drive it is more then welcome. I think more of the issue is getting a commitment on getting the work done to the car to get it ready.

I was also thinking late 80's BMW...

Again, please add you name and location to the list. I will get the whole list and PM everyone at one time to get the ball rolling.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
If I can drive it, I would be in for my share of the costs. I think a 528e/328e etc. like I saw last year would be great.

May I suggest:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/647422825.html
I agree on the 528e. That Bimmer had one of the toughest body shells and bumpers as well as a very understressed engine. My old 528e was rear ended at the end of a freeway off ramp by an old lady in a Buick who forgot you have to stop at the end of the ramp. My stopped car with the brakes on was pushed through the intersection by the Buick and the only damage it sustained was collapsed shocks on the bumper. The Buick, on the other hand, lost the whole front end and had to be flat bedded away. The chassis can be tuned easily and cheaply with suspension parts from the sportier 535is too so parts should be cheap.

It is a shame Racine isn't central to the group. I have a fully stocked shop in my garage with all the tools needed to work on a car as well as a full sized car lift......

·
Registered
262 Posts
A group of us from Chicago entered the event last year and it was pretty cool. This year the track will be longer (1/2 mile vs 1/4 mile) which should help. Imagine for just a moment 42 crapcans on a Mexico City expressway for 24 Hours and you get pretty close to what it was like. Here a link to our build-up and experience...

http://www.chicagoracers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5894

Jim

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Add my name: Josh Armantrout - Racine, WI

If I put a team together Dan (tesprit) would be my go-to guy to be chief engineer, so if he's in we're doing good.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1. Cory Harpell - Shaker Heights, OH
2. Paul Parkanzky - Middleville, MI
3. Josh Armantrout - Racine, WI

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Criteria for choosing a car should be determined.

Light/nimble or a tank or somewhere in between?
FWD/RWD or open?
Manual/Slushbox or open?
Etc.

FWIW, I think an ex-police Crown-Vic would be hilarious. But it's going to be a tank with an automagical transmission. The BMWs could be had with a manual tranny.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It should be cool and/or different but it should be first and foremost FAST.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts