The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I reserved an Elise for a day in Vegas this weekend, and then at the last minute they said it was actually unavailable that day. Lame.

I just want to drive one to see what it's like, and say I've done it. It's my dream car, but by the time I can afford one, it will be out of style.

I'm in Mission Beach... just want to drive it for like 15 minutes, would be fun to kinda push it (I drive a Saturn so it's all relative... me pushing it probably is you taking it easy).

I can take you surfing if you want? I have a nice Large wetsuit you can use, and some shortboards. No longboards but there's places to rent them right by my house.

I work from home so my schedule is super open :)

Let me know!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
The way you ask and the way you talk about how the car will be "out of style" by the time you can buy one..are both negative to me.

I don't know anybody who would actually want to take your offer and just let you "drive" their car, just because I don't think of dream cars as being out of style...its a dream car..how can a dream car be out of style?

I once let a really good friend drive my lotus and he drove it like he didn't care or respected it like I do..so yea..never again for that guy. Also by saying you want to "push" the car..it doesn't make me feel any warmer inside.

Anyway good luck..maybe someone pm'ed you and actually let you drive their car..they are far more trusting then me.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
sorry dude, I'm on the east coast.

I would probably not let strangers drive my car especially if they wanted to push it.

definitely am open to giving rides to people, but don't let too many people drive my car unless its somebody I trust

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Owned my lotus 8 years

One driver..ME....not even the wife!...I doubt you will have any takers...

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts
The Esprit is still a cool car. True car enthusiasts appreciate the legacy. Sorry...have to agree with the field. The Elise will still be a cool car 20 years from now.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
It would be rare that someone would give a complete stranger keys to their car, but the same person would probably also be moronic enough to post it... So we will all be looking at the tread.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Go to the dealer and if they see you interested enough they might let you drive one (It will also depend on how deep your pocket is and if you look like someone who's buying a car not just teenager trying to test drive fast cars). Asking people for a joy ride in their car that is being pushed to its limits is just rude and none sense. I have 2 of them and I don't even let my wife drive it let alone a complete stranger.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Same way anything else goes out of style.

Aren't Lotuses made to be "pushed" ?
And did you not read what I put in parentheses after I said that?
It's perception. Not everything goes "out of style". The Lotus brand has been around for quite a long time..and if you believe that by the time you can afford one that it will be out of style..then there is no reason for you to even pursue one now. The age of people I've met at my last Lotus Meet ranged from the 20's to the 70's. I don't see it going out of style anytime soon.

Back when I was in high school, my dream car was a Lamborghini SVR. It still is..unfortunately..that car is quite maintenance costly, not considered a daily driver..and requires a particular type of high maintenance care that I'm too lazy for. 20+ years later, I still envy the car and don't think of it as out of style. It's just not practical for me right now to own one. The Lotus is my stepping stone into the exotic world. So anyway, my point is ..when you mention "out of style" ..its a turn off.

And then on top of that you want to drive someone else's car and even want to "push" it. Just because you drive a Saturn doesn't mean much to me. That friend I had, drove an old minivan..but he pushed my car with far more uncaring attitude then I ever would. He was thinking it was meant to be driven that way...I don't believe in that.

Just like the several other people who have posted here, I doubt you'll get any takers to just hand you over the keys and in return..you will give them some surfing lessons..umm yea..good luck with that. You will have much better luck renting the Lotus like you wanted to. Vegas isn't the only place that rents these cars.

By the way, I only responded the first time, because nobody was replying to your thread. I was trying to give you some constructive advice..apparently..it sounded like you didn't take it that way.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Got to chime in here...So your asking to drive someones Elise. Good luck with that. I posted a request to drive someones Elise and couldn't get any takers. I was offering them to drive my Viper in exchange.

FYI. Growing up I had a long list of cars I wanted. 70 Cuba, 365 Daytona, 930 Turbo. All those cars a going for stupid money and are not out of style.
There are like 3000 Elise/Exige out there and dropping daily (2 on Coparts right now). Trust me they might be hard to get someday but doubt they will be out of style.

Do what we all did and save your pennies, drive that Saturn till the wheels fall off and when it's right pull the trigger. The first Elise I drove (or rode in) was mine. In the meantime. Xtreme Driving Exerience has a deal. Drive a Ferrari 458 for $170 and save yourself the abuse from my LT brothers.

For the record....my friends drive my cars regularly. At our age woodies are hard to come by, so I owe them that.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Got to chime in here...So your asking to drive someones Elise. Good luck with that. I posted a request to drive someones Elise and couldn't get any takers. I was offering them to drive my Viper in exchange.

FYI. Growing up I had a long list of cars I wanted. 70 Cuba, 365 Daytona, 930 Turbo. All those cars a going for stupid money and are not out of style.
There are like 3000 Elise/Exige out there and dropping daily (2 on Coparts right now). Trust me they might be hard to get someday but doubt they will be out of style.

Do what we all did and save your pennies, drive that Saturn till the wheels fall off and when it's right pull the trigger. The first Elise I drove (or rode in) was mine. In the meantime. Xtreme Driving Exerience has a deal. Drive a Ferrari 458 for $170 and save yourself the abuse from my LT brothers.

For the record....my friends drive my cars regularly. At our age woodies are hard to come by, so I owe them that.
I think I would of taken up on your deal for the viper test drive exchange. I've only seen 1 viper on the road..and that was in the middle of nowhere Idaho..

:)

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Your best bet is to rent one. Taking a complete stranger for a ride is one thing but letting them drive it AND push it just wont happen! The old lady is the only person who has ever driven mine and probably will be the only other person who will drive it! Rent one or be happy with a ride!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I ve had a stranger drive my elise. During one of the car meet this stranger was just going on and on about how awesome the car is. After about an hour of chatting i offered to let him drive it. No he did not ask, I offered. He did step on the gas a little bit but nothing extreme.
What was i thinking? I did have good vibe on him as he was a fellow retired veteran..
He did have a big grin on his face and i was just happy to be able to share a little bit of the experience.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Pretty funny but I let a bunch of random car meet strangers drive my 400whp turbo exige. Lol
Honestly I just wanted to see what would happen. Kinda like gambling I guess.

If your ever in Vegas shoot me a pm and you can drive any of my cars, no charge just bring me some redbull:)

I've got one of the only purple ones in America so you could be experiencing one of the rarest of the breed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Elise Newbie
43 Posts
Now that is charity. Energy drink-balanced charity. I am new here, but mind if I put that offer in my back pocket? Would love to see a purple one in the metal!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ahh yes this forum needed good comic relief like this! Hey Mr. your Veyron is my dream car.. Mind handing me the keys and letting me take your for a spin?

By the way the only pure crap cars go "out of style." Then some hipster buys it and starts a new trend.. Heres an Idea, if you have lots of free time, why don't you just make another booking to rent the car in Vegas at a later date?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have let a number of people drive my Elise, including one stranger who asked. It's just a car after all, and I like sharing the Lotus experience. Nobody has abused it.

My sons are in a scout troop and I have an open offer that any scout who learns to drive a stick first can drive my Elise. Sadly in three years I have had no takers!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts