The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.avic-n1.com/

I know im putting this in asap. stock will not cut it. I do some long trips and i want nav. it also has some cool functions. if i can get a few people maybe i can get a groupbuy going.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Do you have more info the vehicle performance part of it?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Randy Chase said:
That part sounds interesting if it has good accuracy. Is it guaranteed up to 1.4g? :p

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Go with a Magellan Roadmate 700. It's about $1,050 off eBay including shipping and it works remarkably well. It's also portable so you can move it between cars (or friends' cars.) I bought one so I could use it in my Audi, '03 Mach 1 and the Elise.

Besides... $2,200 is pretty steep. Especially considering that it's going to be hanging out in the open for all to see. And the Elise isn't exactly subtle either! Some miscreant will surely see the Elise, come to check-out the interior and may walk away with a nifty headunit w/navigation! :rolleyes:

Bob

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i looked around on the net and they are selling for 1600-1700. but if we can get 3-4 people im sure some will sell for a discount.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Randy Chase said:
not yet this just came on the market this month.

but ill look for more info.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I wonder how easy it would be to see the display unless you have the top on, which I don't expect to happen very much....

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I'm with ya OFM,

I had a portable nav system, used it once, guess I'm just old fashioned. Think the size of the panel would kind of overwhelm the interior of the elise.. But then again, I have a cellphone that I've had since oct, bought 80 minutes and still have 50 left.

Just more doodads to take are attention off the road., just what we need.

Chris> who's doing his damndest to keep it simple in this world glut of technogadgetry:)

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Whatever happened to roadmaps? Am I the only one who still uses Mapquest and their own sense of direction?
:rolleyes:

Should I make a recommendation at work to remove GPS from the airplanes. This way we may use a sectional map a liquid compass and prove our sense of direction? Keep things "like it used to be done"

Poor argument OFM:
1. You can not use mapquest after having left your computer at home. You are not able to perform further directions or re-routes
2. Mapquest is a lovely tool if you like getting impossible routings and directions to go the wrong way on streets
3. Maps are combersome, and are limited in terms of coverage. They offer no PIO's.
4. If I use a GPS I have no sense of direction??? :confused:

Why is your way better?

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Nathan968 said:
Because her way does not cost $2200.
Neither does using a GPS for navigation. This particular head unit does a hell of alot more then just that. I have GPS navigation I use that cost me $150.00. So I disagree with your blanket statement

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID is the line Colin Chapman loved to quote.

Chris> who has some how managed to navigate in all areas of the world without a gps/nav system. AND no I don't suggest to trash nav systems in airplanes, see in a car you CAN always get out and ask directions:D Some people take some of these threads way too seriously, jeez. Get your elise and put whatever the hell you want on it, be that dvd, playstation, microwave oven or refrigerator, but don't mind us if we laugh at you for doing it, whatever floats your boat.

Oh to get back on topic, I guess I'll pass on the group buy for the abovementioned head unit.
;)

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
zvezdah1 said:

Chris> who has some how managed to navigate in all areas of the world without a gps/nav system. AND no I don't suggest to trash nav systems in airplanes, see in a car you CAN always get out and ask directions:D Some people take some of these threads way too seriously, jeez. Get your elise and put whatever the hell you want on it, be that dvd, playstation, microwave oven or refrigerator, but don't mind us if we laugh at you for doing it, whatever floats your boat.

Oh to get back on topic, I guess I'll pass on the group buy for the abovementioned head unit.
;)

Well if operating a GPS and a mobile phone is too complicated then it may apply to you.

Planes do not use GPS to prevent getting lost. It is used because it is a more effecient, and acurate method of navigating.

It's a shame that people resort to impying ridiculous extremes iin an attempt to make an otherwise invalid point, valid. Who said anything about playstations etc, etc. Is it your point that this is some kind of heavy piece of bling bling that will totally ruin the Elise and is equivalent to adding a refrigerator? Is a MP3, GPS, XMS reciever the same usefulness in a car as a microwave?
I sure hope your not one of those peeps getting a hardtop or adding anything at all that has weight, and if you do then your just don't get the your own point. Do you get the point? Should I now laugh at those people who add anything to there car :rolleyes: > I think not. I'll take the high road cause the low road is already covered and won't laugh at anyone.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I would not bother to get NAV for my elise only because it will be a weekend car, but I would put it in an everyday car - the time it can save preventing me from getting lost is worth the money to me - but depending on where one lives in the country, and the setting (rural/suburban/urban) this may be less of an issue for others....no right or wrong answer....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts