The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was posted on ebay, I am in contact with the owner to negotiate a price and will have a once over on the car.

He claims to have had the timing belt, hoses, plugs, etc all replaced out. He said he decided to have the turbos replaced for better performaing ones. The receipts show the work was done by a lotus authorized mechanic at 20K miles.

So, can anyone give me some feedback?

eBay Motors: Lotus : Esprit (item 230251457273 end time May-17-08 19:00:00 PDT)

Darin

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
This was posted on ebay, I am in contact with the owner to negotiate a price and will have a once over on the car.

He claims to have had the timing belt, hoses, plugs, etc all replaced out. He said he decided to have the turbos replaced for better performaing ones. The receipts show the work was done by a lotus authorized mechanic at 20K miles.

So, can anyone give me some feedback?

eBay Motors: Lotus : Esprit (item 230251457273 end time May-17-08 19:00:00 PDT)

Darin
They don't have the feel of an Elise or Exige. Great 0-60, lousy canyon carving. You won't feel the road, and not as comfortable. If speed over handling is your thing go for it.

·
My car sneezes
641 Posts
They don't have the feel of an Elise or Exige. Great 0-60, lousy canyon carving. You won't feel the road, and not as comfortable. If speed over handling is your thing go for it.
rotfl I wouldn't call it lousy although feeling is def not as good as the elise.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Says he spent $2500 on HKS BOV valves?

They are about $250 for new ones...

·
My car sneezes
641 Posts
Says he spent $2500 on HKS BOV valves?

They are about $250 for new ones...
Yes, but on the esprit you need 2, plus new charge pipes with BOV's flanges installed or have someone weld the flanges to the existing alum charge pipes. Then add a few hrs of labor to R&R the charge pipes and you'll be close to the $2.5k for BOV. :sad:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nothing corners like the Elise/ Exige, but the Esprit will hold its own. It's much more comfortable than the Elise. The '97 still has the older style interior (same as my S4s), but the ride is much better than the Elise. The Esprit is downright luxurious compared to the Elise. There is a ton of info on the Esprit Fact File and Lotus Esprit World websites and there have been many posts made here as well. Since there were so few Esprits imported relative to more recent models, someone in the Esprit community very well may know that car and its history. I'd also talk to the shop that did the work.

·
Banned
901 Posts
Not much handles like an Elise, but the Esprit, particuarly the newer models like this V8 are MUCH more comfortable then an Elise/Exige. They handle great and you feel the road just fine.

Feff

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,697 Posts
Hey Guys,

FYI there is another 1997 Esprit V8 FS, here in NJ by a LEO club-member. George Withers in Westfield NJ, owner of GWiz Detailing.

$37K Has really nice chrome modular wheels (I know what you are thinking, but on an Azure Blue Esprit they look good)

Any one interested can PM me and I'll provide George's contact info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I may be trading a 1997 esprit turbo calypso red with tan interior and 45,000 miles. recent service.....New cam timing belts and belt tensioner, upgraded engine mounts, new spark plugs, new wires, new clutch kit and slave, and new 02 sensors. Anyone interested? 310-230-9869 or [email protected]. Ask for Alex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts