The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to AutoZone and downloaded the code with an ODB II. I took the code and went online and found what the code meant and what part to replace. It was an Engine Coolant Temp Sensor. I went to dealer, got the part and replaced it. The CEL is still on. Should it still be on once the part is replaced or should it turn off by itself? Do I need to clear the code now that it is fixed… if so how do I clear the code?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
856 Posts
I don't have a VW, never have, most likely never will, but the OBD codes are typically emissions related. The code will eventually clear its self over time IF the thing you replaced was the only thing wrong. Sometimes fixing that unmasks the other problems. Your best bet is to buy your own OBD II scanner ($100 maybe) and check the codes yourself. Once you get the code number, you can clear it with the tool too. Autozone will check your codes, but have been told by "johnny law" not to clear codes. They will tell you that you need to have the work done at a shop to have the code cleared there... unless you buy the tool and do it yourself.

Where do you live? It says midatlantic, I have a scanner and can most likely clear the code for you.

Dave

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Unless there is something non-standard about the VW's ODB-II system there are two ways to clear a MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light - they are not properly called a "CEL" any more).

One way to clear the MIL is to use a scan tool to clear it.

The second way is to drive the car until it goes away. The ODB-II system pretty much constantly performs checks of it's various systems/sensors. The test has to meet various parameters to pass or fail a test. The parameters include things such as starting from cold, driving between 25 and 35 miles per hour for 5 minutest, then at a different speed for a minimum time, etc. Some of the tests parameters are rather complicated and it can take days for you to meet all the conditions.

Usually the test has to fail some number of times before it will turn on the MIL, and often, the test has to pass some number of times before it will turn it back off.

The first may is quicker. The second way has the disadvantage that if something else turns on the MIL, you may not realize it as you are waiting for it to go off from the previous problem.

Best bet is to buy your own scan tool as use it as necessary. Some useful scan tools can be had for less than $100.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Most obd-II readers have an option to clear fault codes and reset the CEL. Go back to autozone and get it again, and see if it does. If not, you need one that does. The Ross-tech VAG-COM is the most common vw-specific one. If you go to the vw-specifc forums (like VWvortex Forums: Main), sometimes you can find someone nearby with one who will offer to clear the codes for you.

Ross-Tech: Home

I totaled my vw a few months ago. I will sell my VAG-COM KEY USB if you want it. $150. They are $250 new.

VAG-COM License with KEY-USB Interface: Ross-Tech Store

'Greg

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Unless there is something non-standard about the VW's ODB-II system there are two ways to clear a MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light - they are not properly called a "CEL" any more).

One way to clear the MIL is to use a scan tool to clear it.

The second way is to drive the car until it goes away.
VW codes will not clear on their own. Every manufacturer's system is different.

'Greg

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very useful info everyone. Thanks!

Dave – Thank you for the offer but I will try autozone first and if they will not clear it I will come by. I live in Columbia, MD.

Tim – good info… thanks!

Greg – I will look into the Ross-Tech and let you know. It’s my wife’s car and we might not be keeping it for too much longer.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Dissconnet the battery.....wait a while then connect it back up. Sometimes that clears the codes.

But the best way is to just buy a scanner and clear it that way.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Dissconnet the battery.....wait a while then connect it back up. Sometimes that clears the codes.

But the best way is to just buy a scanner and clear it that way.
The Germans are smarter than us. They use non-volatile memory in the ECU.

You need a scan tool...

'Greg

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Most obd-II readers have an option to clear fault codes and reset the CEL. Go back to autozone and get it again, and see if it does. If not, you need one that does. The Ross-tech VAG-COM is the most common vw-specific one. If you go to the vw-specifc forums (like VWvortex Forums: Main), sometimes you can find someone nearby with one who will offer to clear the codes for you.

Ross-Tech: Home

I totaled my vw a few months ago. I will sell my VAG-COM KEY USB if you want it. $150. They are $250 new.

VAG-COM License with KEY-USB Interface: Ross-Tech Store

'Greg

Survey says: Yep, this is what he needs. The Autozone reset should work, IMO. Either that or, depending on the code, after a couple of driving cycles the CEL should go away. I could be wrong, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts