The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this recently, forgot about it til today. Listed on e bay, looks nice, claims new timing belt, etc. price seems good to me too.

Please tell me whether to run away or bid!

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Came across this recently, forgot about it til today. Listed on e bay, looks nice, claims new timing belt, etc. price seems good to me too.

Please tell me whether to run away or bid!
Link?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
81K miles is a LOT for a V-8 Esprit. It makes a full review of the service history more important than ever. For instance if it is still on the original clutch, or even the second one, it may be due for yet another and they are not cheap. With that many miles the motor should be tested for compression to see how much life is left and if the turbos have never been rebuilt they are probably way past due. Bottom line, that low price isn't so low when you add what it may take to have some real fun with the car.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
81K miles is a LOT for a V-8 Esprit. It makes a full review of the service history more important than ever. For instance if it is still on the original clutch, or even the second one, it may be due for yet another and they are not cheap. With that many miles the motor should be tested for compression to see how much life is left and if the turbos have never been rebuilt they are probably way past due. Bottom line, that low price isn't so low when you add what it may take to have some real fun with the car.
David Teitelbaum
Wow sounds expensive! I am on 92K miles on my S4 and so far so good on the engine. :cool:

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Wow sounds expensive! I am on 92K miles on my S4 and so far so good on the engine. :cool:
I am sure with that much mileage, if you do a compression test, you will see you have a significant loss of compression. That translates into less power. It's really sneaky the way it happens too. So slowly you don't notice and adjust to it. Motors are not meant to last forever. Rings wear, seals leak, valves don't seal so well. Eventually the bearings wear and you start losing oil pressure. That's at the end and the wear accelerates rapidly. The good news for you is the 4 banger is significantly less expensive to rebuild than the V-8. Of course it is only 1/2 the V-8!
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And I'm not going to be bidding by the way. All had good points here, thanks for the reality check! I took my '89 SE to work this morning, not sure if I can have any more fun than I already do! And not sure the wife will let me have two, unless the other is an automatic or at least paddle shift so she can drive it too...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.