The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did search and although size is referenced, there is nothing on weights(heard non-LSS weigh 20 lbs or so)...I know SSR makes LSS sizes that weigh 11 and 13 lbs...deciding if I want SSR's as track spares or not but I cant figure out which set is lighter.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
These are estimates I secured from a reliable source. I have not yet weighed them myself:

LSS fronts: approx. 13 lbs
LSS rears: approx. 14.5 lbs

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks for info...hmmm...new wheels from Tirerack to save a pound for each wheel???...:confused:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
mact3333 said:
thanks for info...hmmm...new wheels from Tirerack to save a pound for each wheel???...:confused:
Yes, a very good idea if you use the EliseTalk link. One pound is worth it!!!

Seriously, a pound is not insignificant on your wheels when you are already pretty light. But if you are going to put heavy tires on them, then I don't see the point.

·
Registered
539 Posts
mact3333 said:
did search and although size is referenced, there is nothing on weights(heard non-LSS weigh 20 lbs or so)...I.
I ceratinly hope the stockers don't weigh that much. I would expect something around 15lbs.

Paul

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: anyone know the weights of LSS wheels???

Snowphun said:
I ceratinly hope the stockers don't weigh that much. I would expect something around 15lbs.

Paul
I cant verify that, I found that info while doing search but someone did say that...they didnt say if 20lb was front or rear wheel.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Randy Chase said:
Yes, a very good idea if you use the EliseTalk link. One pound is worth it!!!

Seriously, a pound is not insignificant on your wheels when you are already pretty light. But if you are going to put heavy tires on them, then I don't see the point.

If a pound really makes that much difference, I will urinate like Niagra Falls before each track session and perhaps I can shave a half second...just imagine the possibilities with a can of go-lytely...:clap: :clap: :clap: . Ask Chris about that one!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Remember I am the one saying MOST people will not even notice (or be able to use) a 40 pound difference. :)

Still, the weight of a rim is different, it's rotational mass and unsprung weight. Taking weight off the tires/rims can have a large difference in the car's handling. In very general terms, a pound off the rims is worth than a pound off the car... so you might have to pee 3 or 4 pounds. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
A pound a corner of unsprung weight is definitely important. Will it mean the difference between winning and losing? Probably not, but combined with a dozen or more other "little" things, it adds up to an appreciable difference that can give you a tenth or two here and there. When racing, the rules have to be maximized in order to develop a competitive car. It's part of the game.

After all, F1 teams have $400M annual budgets. They don't spend it all on post-race parties.

On the street, you would be hard-pressed to appreciate the difference.

Ara

·
Registered
146 Posts
IIRC, someone posted the exact weights of the LSS wheels a while back and they were not that light weight. It is in the archives...Do a search and you will find the exact weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts