The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to pick up a few 1:18 scale Elise's in various colors to help me decide which color I like better. I have been checking Ebay for a few weeks but nothing comes up expect a few in yellow and red from the U.K. I would like to order a Black,Silver, and Dark Silver version. Anyone know of any place here in the U.S. that might have these models?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I don't think I would rely on the models to pick colors, but they are fun to have. I have a 1:18 yellow one from Exoticar - styling looks pretty much like the US version of the car, but I don't think the yellow is Saffron yellow. I also have a 1:18 black one from Chrono - a friend bought it for me in Mexico, but look around on the web and you might find it (although it's the Euro style with exposed roll bar on the back). They look good sitting on my desk and help pass the time while we wait.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The black (S2) model that I have is a Saico, 1/28 scale, got it from a guy on e-bay a few months ago. It's not bad detailing but not nearly as nice as the 1/18 Jadi model that I'd gotten from Exoticar.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The ones available from Lotus USA are the Jadi models. AFAIK the only 1:18 scale model of the S2 Elise (the type closest in appearance to the federalized Elise) is the one made by Jadi.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The Exoticar model is made by JADI also. My wife placed a tiny teddy bear in the driver's seat. Not as bad as it sounds, since it means that she is excited about my getting the car.

·
Registered
971 Posts
jml1952 said:
I don't think I would rely on the models to pick colors, but they are fun to have. I have a 1:18 yellow one from Exoticar - styling looks pretty much like the US version of the car, but I don't think the yellow is Saffron yellow. I also have a 1:18 black one from Chrono - a friend bought it for me in Mexico, but look around on the web and you might find it (although it's the Euro style with exposed roll bar on the back). They look good sitting on my desk and help pass the time while we wait.
The blue model looks just like the real thing, from a distance. As I was looking at an Elise in the parking lot at Hethel, another man who was there for the Scare Yourself Sensible day and I were remarking how the car we were looking at was just like the blue models we both have. If I didn't already have two blue vehicles, and Lotus Racing Green wasn't an option, I'd be getting the magnetic blue.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Also, I was able to see a side by side comparison of Lightning Yellow and Saffron Yellow. Lightning Yellow is the color of the car in the promo pics from the Lotuscars website and the 1:18 scale model. Saffron Yellow is more like what the British refer to as Norfolk Mustard.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Lumn8r said:
Also, I was able to see a side by side comparison of Lightning Yellow and Saffron Yellow. Lightning Yellow is the color of the car in the promo pics from the Lotuscars website and the 1:18 scale model. Saffron Yellow is more like what the British refer to as Norfolk Mustard.
Thanks, that helps. I seem to be getting a Saffron Yellow Elise, unless perchance Ice Blue surfaces as a choice. Hope to see the color in person at the LA Auto Show in a couple of months.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
jml1952 said:
Thanks, that helps. I seem to be getting a Saffron Yellow Elise, unless perchance Ice Blue surfaces as a choice. Hope to see the color in person at the LA Auto Show in a couple of months.
Ice blue looks great in person. Happened to see one at Hethel, so now I have added that color to the list of potentials, and tried to convince the USA lotus rep to make it a color option! He's a big fan of that color too, so you never know!

Oh, and lightning yellow looks sooooo much better, side by side, than the saffron yellow. The saffron is too dark.

Seeing 10s of lotuses, all lined up, grining away at me at the factory made it very difficult not to want to take one home. So I took one home. Finally got a 111s, lightning yellow, 1:18th scale.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,146 Posts
Ice Blue is pretty cool. Imagine it with two red stripes down the center (a la Type 25). That would be especially volatile!

I suspected Saffron would be darker. It probably is the same shade as Porsche's Speed Yellow. I prefer a lighter yellow myself.

I'm going with Chrome Orange because it weighs less... ;)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,146 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
mapes-
Saw chrome orange at the factory. Wasnt all that excited by it. Too flat.
Hmmmm.....are you sure it wasn't Lava Orange? There is plenty of flake in Chrome Orange so it should pop?! Maybe the dull light in England just does not do any favors? :(

Modern Wedgie said:
On the other hand, I saw an elise painted lamborghini orange. That was pretty exciting!
I actually thought CO was similar to Lambo Orange!

BTW:Thx for your factory reports!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
mapes-

lava orange, I believe, is actually a really really bright orange. This was definetly not that. What you say does make sense. We were looking for the color code and couldnt find it. It was a flat orange I was looking at. No metallic specs at all. Hmmmm, I wonder what color it was then.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Agree with MW that lightening yellow is nicer than safron. Then again I think norfolk mustard is pretty foul too and they are related.

Of course colours react differently depending on where you are in the world as in the UK we get a lot of blue light due to cloud cover etc. I suspect any colour will look better in decent sun shine!

I really like Azure blue too, and Ruby Red (although not many good pics of that colour which coincidently is the colour of my car <grin>). ( Ruby Red - not a great pic though as the car is covered in crap as I'm returning from lemans, or this one, or the first two on this gallery)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts